bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Feb 2012, 14:11   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Intel launches SandForce-based SSD 520 family

Intel launches its latest SSD range, the 520 Series, featuring an LSI SandForce controller.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ches-ssd-520/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2012, 14:46   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I'm glad these larger and more expensive drives are being produced, as they'll help push the price down of the smaller versions I think most people have an eye on for their OS drive.

Once we hit that magical 1=1Gb ratio, I think we'll start to see the smaller (60gb-100Gb) drives starting to fly off the shelves.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2012, 15:00   #3
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
$149 for 60GB? What are you intel? High?
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2012, 15:18   #4
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Review incoming! But basically it's a SandForce drive with some fancy firmware.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2012, 00:32   #5
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
I'm glad these larger and more expensive drives are being produced, as they'll help push the price down of the smaller versions I think most people have an eye on for their OS drive.
Except that there is a problem with the 480GB Intel 520 SSD, its slower than the 240GB version, which kind of kills the appeal of the larger size.
Anfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2012, 01:49   #6
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want a really fast really cheap 80gig.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2012, 06:22   #7
Dae314
Hypermodder

Dae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for president
I think the reason Intel charges more is because they're capitalizing on the stereotype that they make very reliable SSD's. I believe they're trying to aim for the market in between normal retail SSD's and enterprise SSD's.

Intel has been making good on their stereotype so far though, so that does say something about SF controllers .
Old 8th Feb 2012, 07:27   #8
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrabbits
And I want a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds, costs $10,000 and delivers 100 mpg. Not going to happen. Fast and cheap are mutually exclusive - they are both relative terms, but the fastest drive is never going to be the cheapest, and vice versa.
Old 8th Feb 2012, 11:43   #9
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrabbits
And I want a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds, costs $10,000 and delivers 100 mpg. Not going to happen. Fast and cheap are mutually exclusive - they are both relative terms, but the fastest drive is never going to be the cheapest, and vice versa.
Oh I don't know, I once had a really fast canary that went cheap.
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2012, 19:51   #10
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Bollocks everything is getting faster and cheaper constantly. I already have a fast 80gig. Give it a year or so and it will cost a fraction of what I paid for it when they were new.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 01:10   #11
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
Intel = SKY HIGH!
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote