bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Feb 2012, 08:16   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The big air cooling investigation

Ever wanted definitive answers on how best to air cool your PC, then look no further

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...nvestigation/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 08:35   #2
jakobfrimmel
Supermodder

jakobfrimmel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting read!! bout time someone did a serious investigation into this!! next we want a water-cooling version.....
oh and first comment
Motherboard: Gigabyte 890xA-ud3
RAM: 4gb ddr3 1600 OCZ @1600
jakobfrimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 08:38   #3
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice article. Something to provoke a little thought - a traditional bit-tech piece.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 08:46   #4
weesteev
What's a Dremel?

weesteev has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great article guys, back to the good old days of bit-tech IMHO. Keep up the good work.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 08:57   #5
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brilliant - and about time - good work.
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 09:04   #6
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.
Excellent article - I'll be altering my setup as a direct result of this - cheers!
Keyboards: Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds | White Filco TKL - Browns | Filco MiniLA - Browns | Poker w/Plate, Alu Case - Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | Cherry G80-3000 - Browns | Cherry G80-3700 w/Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | IBM Model M SSK - Bolt & Floss Modded | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 09:08   #7
Shichibukai
Resident Nitpicker

Shichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run CrysisShichibukai can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
Excellent article - I'll be altering my setup as a direct result of this - cheers!
+1
Shichibukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 09:29   #8
RobJapan
Minimodder

RobJapan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I currently have two fans in the roof of my case, I'm going to take the roof front fan out as you suggested and see what the results are!

great article!!
RobJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 09:32   #9
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
You should have taken sound levels as adding more fans doesn't increase noise as much as some might think.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 09:39   #10
LJF
Modded

LJF has yet to learn the way of the DremelLJF has yet to learn the way of the DremelLJF has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Have I slipped back in time some how? this is the kind of article that first attracted me to Bit-tech! Good stuff.
LJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 09:39   #11
cjb119
What's a Dremel?

cjb119 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
agree, a single noise measurement per number of fans would have been nice.

now I've just got to work out what my roof fan is doing? exhaust or intake
cjb119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:04   #12
blackerthanblack
Supermodder

blackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitblackerthanblack is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJF
Have I slipped back in time some how? this is the kind of article that first attracted me to Bit-tech! Good stuff.
Agreed. I was sceptical of the new set up for this year, although I have been less and less enthusiastic about the more recent BT set up over the past year or so. The new articles seem to be getting back to the BT roots and what first got me coming back to this site - nice.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:09   #13
Jqim
Modder

Jqim has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like this becuase It made me rethink ideas i had concreted in my head. Like "front to back cooling wins always". I do plan on buying a fractal r3 at some point and i tihnk i will have 3 fans in it, I may leave it as 2 at the front and 1 rear even though i know it is wrong. The reason for this is dust a few degrees of heat i can handel but dust drives me insane.
Jqim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:12   #14
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fantastic, in depth article. Well done.

My only problem is that on my Antec 902 with a titan fenrir cooler, fitting a side fan causes it to hit the CPU cooler. So in order to make the side fan work, you either need a cavernous case, or a slightly shorter CPU cooler. Unless anyone knows of any low profile fans..?........
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:13   #15
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
About time someone went to work. Gob well done.
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:17   #16
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
I recently fitted a fan controller to my FT02 and I have been amazed at how quiet it now runs (fans on minimum all the time). This hasn't affected temperatures either! The only fan I can hear now is my GPU!
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:17   #17
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Excellent article, best thing I've read in a long time (takes me back to reading magazines! who remembers those :P).

Slightly annoyed at the efficacy of a side fan; I hate those.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:23   #18
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wonderful to see a good old fashioned analysis - EXCELLENT work guys.

My only gripe, and it's a VERY minor one, is that it would be nice if above each review you did a diagram to show the positions of each of the fans...

+1 to the watercooling being the next one.

Welcome back. I'm so pleased to be back on the good ship Bit-tech.....
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:27   #19
S1W1
Multimodder

S1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I have been waiting for this for so long Very nice article BT

Now all you need is a 120mm/140mm fan round-up, to determine the best 120mm/140mm fan. It's so hard to choose between different fans- a fact which isn't helped by completely inconsistent manufacturer figures.
AMD X6 1090T OC @ 3.75GHZ | Corsair H50 cooler | 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHZ | Asus M4N98TD Evo Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC| XFX 750W Black Edition PSU | Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 HDD | 300GB WD Velociraptor | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | NZXT Hades mid tower with red LEDS and engraved side panels | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | Asus Xonar DX |
=== Alienware M11X R3 laptop ===
S1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 10:41   #20
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz (with a Vcore of 1.3V) and a Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti Golden Sample. These are popular components that we felt well represented the kind of PC that many of our readers are likely to own
Indeed! Exactly what I own... and all housed in an R3 as well. Great article thanks!
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote