bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Feb 2012, 13:24   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Blizzard files objection to Valve's DOTA trademark

Valve's attempt to trademark DOTA has come up against predictable opposition.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...s-valve-dota/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 13:50   #2
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Must've been a quiet day in Blizzards legal department, or they needed a new watercooler and filing the protest meant they could charge Blizzard a few grand.
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 13:54   #3
RobJapan
Minimodder

RobJapan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you are referring to Defense of the ancients well yes that is Blizzard's IP, I believe the original name was Aeon of Strife for starcraft 1.

However at any stage Blizzard could have pulled the plug but they didn't and continued to let independent people use their map to create a game.

It's quite clear that while Blizzard didn't exactly help much they didn't get in the way either, what's even clearer is that Valve has absolutely nothing to do with it and have jumped on it as a way of making money.
I predict Valve will just change the name from DOTA 2 to something else.
RobJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 13:58   #4
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
DOTA is a Fan made Map for Wacraft 3

blizzard had no say in its creation and there is 100s of clones that are titled something else but its still the same game.

Valve have little or no claim in this matter either.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 14:18   #5
runbmp
Minimodder

runbmp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ActiBlizzard, who is slowly backing out of user made mods in its own games... this seems like a dick move on their part.

I think they should make a world of warcraft fps on consoles and call it a day. Turkey is done.
runbmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 14:33   #6
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbmp
I think they should make a world of warcraft fps on consoles and call it a day. Turkey is done.
Call of Warcraft? World of Modern Warfare? Modern Starfare? Call of Modern Starwarfarecraft? (I can see George Lucas getting pissy about the last one )
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 14:52   #7
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
So, Activision Blizzard don't like Valve Trademarking something they don't even own themselves....sounds a bit dubious. Almost as dubious as when, say, Vivendi (who own Activision Blizzard) were illegally distributing copies of Half-Life 2 to Internet Cafes across America in 2004 and got sued for Copyright Infringement.

World of Modernfailcraft methinks
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 15:19   #8
TheKrumpet
Once more, into the breach!

TheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run CrysisTheKrumpet can run Crysis
Seems a bit silly to me. DOTA 2 is an exact clone of DOTA 1 except in a different engine. It's basically a direct sequel in that regard. They're removed all of the references to Blizzard's property (changing the names of characters/items that exist in warcraft lore) deliberately to avoid this. It's the same game, why should it not be called 'DOTA'? I don't really agree with them trying to trademark 'DOTA', but it's not going to affect Blizzard. Everyone knows that DOTA isn't actually made by them, it's just in their game.

To quote Moriquendi - "Resistance is Relix" - stonedsurd
TheKrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 16:59   #9
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Just wait until write it into the EULA of games that any mod created for their games are owned and licensed by said company.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 17:16   #10
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I can see Blizzard's objection to Valve copyrighting a name that's been associated with their product for years, but they've shot themselves in the foot trying to claim they have had anything to do with it.

If they'd simply said "the name shouldn't be copyrighted by anyone" they'd have a much more convincing case. Sadly it seems their arrogance has got the better of them.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 17:37   #11
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Publicity stunt to get their name associated with DOTA 2?
This probably won't go anywhere but it'd be a shame if Valve ended up backing down and changing the name.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 17:39   #12
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Either the name will be changed or a deal will be done. Other than ActiBlizzard throwing around its MW franchise profits to sue people, it's not real news yet. For the moment the lawsuit hasn't extended to the game content itself and let's hope the name is all they will quibble over.
NethLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 17:44   #13
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
This should be settled with a game of DOTA.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 18:14   #14
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos
Just wait until write it into the EULA of games that any mod created for their games are owned and licensed by said company.
That's already the case for many games that officially support modding and has been for years.

For instance, part of the EULA of the Skyrim Creatin Kit is that you give Bethesda permission to use your mods for anything they want, ever, including turning them into paid DLC or using them in promo material; in exchange for getting to use the CK to begin with; with no expectation of royalties, payment, credit, copyright or acknowledgement.

Modding is a murky area, IP-wise and always has been; since a huge number of mods rely on re-distributing modified content that was created/owned by the developer/publisher of the game.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 19:21   #15
WestHej
What's a Dremel?

WestHej has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This will all be academic. I really don't see DotA 2 stealing back many players from the hugely popular League of Legends.

On the case itself, I dont' really see Blizzard's claim.
WestHej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 19:51   #16
alialias
Modder

alialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremelalialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
''That, Blizzard claims, is something up with which it shall not put.''
That, is an absolutely AWESOME sentence!
alialias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 19:57   #17
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHej
This will all be academic. I really don't see DotA 2 stealing back many players from the hugely popular League of Legends.

On the case itself, I dont' really see Blizzard's claim.
LoL is free to play and has far less of a learning curve, IMO DOTA 2 will only grab the player base of DOTA and possibly HoN.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 20:19   #18
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alialias View Post
''That, Blizzard claims, is something up with which it shall not put.''
That, is an absolutely AWESOME sentence!
I'd like to take credit, but it's a paraphrase of something commonly attributed to Winston Churchill: 'Up with this I shall not put.' It's amazing the circles in which you can run when rigidly applying the rules of the language...
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 21:11   #19
Solidus
Superhuman

Solidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
it was the fans that came up with the word "DOTA" in the warcraft 3 map creator - blizzard had nothing to do with its creation so in essence no one really owns it from either.

It is a case likely to be whoever gets the name first will own it and between blizzard and valve; looks like valve are the only ones applying for it as there were literally hundreds of random maps created for people to use and DOTA wasnt the only one; it was just one of the more popular ones thats all.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2012, 21:40   #20
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos View Post
That could get pretty fun. Look forward to v1.04 of Sloth's Hardcore Sex and Perverse Fetishes Mod! Officially owned and licensed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
I can see Blizzard's objection to Valve copyrighting a name that's been associated with their product for years, but they've shot themselves in the foot trying to claim they have had anything to do with it.

If they'd simply said "the name shouldn't be copyrighted by anyone" they'd have a much more convincing case. Sadly it seems their arrogance has got the better of them.
+1 to this. They'll have a hard time arguing why Valve can't have rights to it if they constantly have to justify how they claim to have rights in the first place. Valve's lawyers will have a field day with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine View Post
LoL is free to play and has far less of a learning curve, IMO DOTA 2 will only grab the player base of DOTA and possibly HoN.
In my experience with Dota 2 players this is very much the case. It's being developed to be as close to DotA 1 as possible to transition that playerbase into a newer game with various streamlined features of a new engine while maintaining the same gameplay. Valve have stated a desire to help new players learn but critically are not changing or watering down the gameplay to achieve this. This is a key selling point and causes somewhat of a rift in the greater MOBA playerbase, just like with HoN vs. LoL the two are largely separate: players either like one or the other so neither game really steals from the other.