bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Feb 2012, 12:02   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Asus P9X79 Pro Review

We take a look at Asus' latest mid-range X79 motherboard

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...9-pro-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 12:13   #2
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Is it just me or are these Sandybridge E CPU's coming up short in the overclocking department, i dont think i've seen one that's been stable past 4.6Ghz....is it a CPU or Mobo problem?.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 12:35   #3
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
This saw the GD65 (8D) leap up the graphs,

Last paragraph before conclusion - an error I presume ?

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 12:45   #4
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Is it just me or are these Sandybridge E CPU's coming up short in the overclocking department, i dont think i've seen one that's been stable past 4.6Ghz....is it a CPU or Mobo problem?.
I think it's more the heat they pump out. Pookeyhead, thetrashcanman and True_gamer all have SB-E chips running at 5GHz or over.

On topic, excellent review. I want more money to upgrade

Corsair Graphite 230T ¦ Athlon X4 760K @ 4.8GHz ¦ ASRock A88X Extreme6+ ¦ Corsair H100 ¦ 8GB Patriot 1600 ¦ No SSD ¦ 250GB HDD ¦ MSI 6770 1GB @ 950/1200 ¦ OCZ 700W
noizdaemon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 14:00   #5
BrightCandle
Multimodder

BrightCandle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=noizdaemon666]
Quote:
I think it's more the heat they pump out. Pookeyhead, thetrashcanman and True_gamer all have SB-E chips running at 5GHz or over.
Even under water they aren't going to higher clocks, which means its not just the heat. Its either the extra cores, or more likely the increased amount of cache that is causing the problem.
BrightCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 15:04   #6
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
They were never going to clock as well with the additional cores. It's a great motherboard, I'm currently at 4.9Ghz on water using it. Not sure why people see <5Ghz and automatically their brain tells them it's a poor performer. I think it's pretty impressive for a hex-core. (no additional VRM cooling besides roof mounted radiator / rear motherboard fan)

Edit: Mid-range? pffft.

Last edited by MjFrosty; 13th Feb 2012 at 15:12.
MjFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 15:34   #7
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Getting any 3000 series hexa core to 5GHz is a challenge on any board. You're looking at 200W + through the CPU. To me that puts VRM waterblocks as a prerequisite as 5GHz can be done on an open bench but in a case the VRMs just don't get the airflow they need. We've done 4.75GHz for a few customers and ended up a 4.6GHz for the Cobra: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/d...verdictTab#top
Old 13th Feb 2012, 18:05   #8
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
You need a bigger case
Old 13th Feb 2012, 18:19   #9
K404
It IS cold and it IS fast

K404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run CrysisK404 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpower-UK View Post
Getting any 3000 series hexa core to 5GHz is a challenge on any board. You're looking at 200W + through the CPU. To me that puts VRM waterblocks as a prerequisite as 5GHz can be done on an open bench but in a case the VRMs just don't get the airflow they need. We've done 4.75GHz for a few customers and ended up a 4.6GHz for the Cobra: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/d...verdictTab#top
I suspect it's more than any 200W.......
Old 14th Feb 2012, 06:06   #10
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Been rocking this board since December, really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to get some water loops going for some proper clocking
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 07:24   #11
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpower-UK View Post
Yea, agree they really do need cooling at the very high-end, but the problem is most people see a bundled fan and stick their nose up because they think it's required for everything, or, they have a preferred case fan they already own. I would expect cases like Cooler Master ones with a large 200m fan placed right over the VRM area in the roof should cool quite well.

It's actually where our TProbe is real-world useful rather than a 'nice to have' value-add, as it modulates the load according to temperature. If you are still over-temping the VRMs though (say if you set it to Extreme/500Hz/no fan), our boards set the CPU to throttle or in worst case scenarios the system resets itself with 'OC failed' to prevent VRM damage.

I had a school day from RD. But I also think it's important people understand this rare situation might not be an 'unstable board', for example.

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 14th Feb 2012 at 08:11.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2012, 07:44   #12
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
I run at 4.7GHz as a 24/7 overclock. The only reason I stop there is cooling. I've passed a maximum stress test IBT run of 20 loops (with 16GB that's around 8 hours) at 4.9, but my temps were horrible. That was at 1.42v. I only have a H100. With a decent loop 5GHz would be no problem at around 1.46/1.5v.

You miss the point though. You don't NEED the same clock speed with a SB-E. Even at stock speeds, it beats overclocked SB chips with heavily threaded tasks, and let's be honest, if all you do is game, you don't need SB-E. These chips are for people who heavily multi-task, or do a lot of maths intensive tasks like rendering, graphics work, or encoding. Look at the Geekbench leader boards. I posted a time made with the P9X79 Pro at STOCK speeds with a 3960X and it beats all but the fastest overclocked SB chip.. at the stock speed of 3.6GHz. Even my "modest" 4.7GHz overclock sees nearly 20,000 points.. that's 5k clear of 2700Ks clocked at 5.1 and above. With heavily threaded apps, 4.5GHz with this chip will smoke anything, at any speed. Even a SB rig at 5.5GHz running on chilled water only JUST beats the stock speed of the 3960X and this Asus board. You need to get this 5GHz as a minimum out of your head.

Nice review!

I had this board for a few weeks. The only reason I changed it is because it can't run three GPUs at 16x, 16x, 8x. Best it can do is 16x, 8x, 8x. Only a problem if you want triple SLI of course. If you don't plan on going triple SLI, this is a killer board.
MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz ¦¦ Asus Rampage IV Extreme ¦¦ 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 ¦¦ 512GB Samsung 830 SSD ¦¦ 4TB of HDD Storage ¦¦ 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI ¦¦ Corsair 650D ¦¦ Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP ¦¦ Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 ¦¦ Gigabyte G31M-ES2L ¦¦ LSI SAS9260-8i ¦¦ 3TB RAID5 ¦¦ Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5

Last edited by Pookeyhead; 20th Feb 2012 at 07:53.
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:54   #13
bt500
What's a Dremel?

bt500 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's a minor typo on the first page, it says "seven fan headers" when it should say "six fan headers". Great review!
bt500 is offline   Reply With Quote