1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Negative Ionizer question: Can i power it with 12V DC?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dreamie, 2 Jan 2003.

1. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

Will be making my own negative ionizer soon with a bunch of capacitors n diodes soon... here's a schematic from the original site:

[​IMG]

Can i power it from the 12VDC of the PS/ 9VDC from a battery? Or should i have a invetrer do the job? How many watts inverter should I make for the ionizer to work? (5 Watts?)

I plan to remove the 2 10M ohm resistors so that the voltage that gets to the needles wont be too low to be of usage.

Thanks.

2. musirPmeaT

musirPmeaT What's a Dremel?

Since that schematic shows 220 VAC input, I seriously doubt you can use DC to do it. I don't understand why you don't just use.....220 VAC. Even if you could, I doubt a 9 volt battery could supply the power needed.

Do you know what the 2 10M ohm resistors do to know that you can remove them?

I have no idea what the diodes and caps do without pulling out some paper and doing some yucky analysis, but I suspect it is a rudimentary negative charge pump to build up a high negative voltage at the "top" and the 2 10M ohm resistors are current limiting (operational or safety reasons).

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I'm not a wizard here

but U can create the 220VAC from a 12VDC battery

but the amperage will be very low ...

(a camper has a 12v DC battery and a converter to 220v AC)

so its possible

but a simple 9V battery , will not be good enough

U need a good 12v battery

they come expensive

uhm , around 50euro's

I'm guessing here !

but I think thats the price for one , (recharable one, loads of ampérage)

well , you shoudl try to find a battery dealer
    try those shops that make those little cars on remote's ! , they have good battery's ! any kind u want !

good luck

4. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Negative Ionizer question: Can i power it with 12V DC?

yep.. the 2 10Meg ohm resistors are there to lower voltage for safety reasons. The caps n diodes are for multiplying the negative charge.. :)
    I wanted to do a portable version of this and a version whereas it will be in the floppy bay (with the - ions blowing INTO and OUT of the casing)...

hm..... time to do more research.... :lol:

in the meantime... anyone else? :naughty:

5. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: havent seen a 12V battery around.......:worried: guess that will be expensive... n huge :jawdrop:

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

That circuit looks dangerous, running off 240v mains. Any errors, you're fried.

Plus using a 50/60Hz sine wave is not efficient.

A Maplin version I have runs off a cheap 12v DC 300mA mains adapter. This powers a cmos4001, using 2 of the inverters as a 30kHz oscillator, another two as a pulse-width control to give a short pulse.

The pulse goes to a 60:1 step-up transformer via a TIP122 power transistor switch, then 5 voltage-doubler stages step the volts up to around 6kV.

This feeds 6 needles through 20M current-limiting resistors. :)

(Don't remove the 20M resistors, they're to stop u dying)

7. Mizon

Mizon What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't recommend putting a negative ion generator in your pc anyway. They don't so much magically clean the air, they put a charge on it so that dust sticks to surfaces rather than hangs in the air. Not really something you want happening in your pc.

The 20Mohm resistors are there to limit the current that could come off the output, much like the current limiting resistors you put in series with LEDs, if you touch the output the current will be limited enough not to hurt you.

8. musirPmeaT

musirPmeaT What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Re: Negative Ionizer question: Can i power it with 12V DC?

So it would be a very bad idea to remove the resistors and use large capacitors.

9. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

hehe.. can i have a schematic of that? :D btw, how do u check whether it is working?

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Circuit @ http://www.cpemma.co.uk/images/breeze.gif

[​IMG]
    The top needle has an extra short prong bent towards the deflection plate (bit of thin metal). When the thing's on, the neon flashes. Adjust pin (with well-insulated long-nose pliers) to get 2-3 flashes/sec.

Few points - Plastic box, obviously. Transformer is 60:1 ratio, secondary will have about 1300v across it, so check rating. Maplin code was JL94C.

Setting up: Tweak pot RV1 to a minimum supply current (from the adaptor), then tweak RV2 to minimum supply current, re-do to check. Should be about 45mA.

Can use a regulated or unregulated mains adaptor, but if unregulated, try with a 7.5v setting (which will be much higher at 45mA). Should work with 7-14v DC supply.

11. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

woah... that schematic looks evil.. (and expensive) :( ... is there a way where i can cheaply power it up from the DC voltage? oh, and btw, what is the max amphere rating of that inverter? IF it is less than 1A, i might be able to just build a small inverter for it....

TIA :lol:

12. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

13. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

14. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Doh! :wallbash:

I'm sure they must sell similar kits.

If you even get round to it why not have a positive ioniser on the fan blowing air INTO you case and a negative one on the one blowing OUT of your case. That way all the c*** in the air wont stick to you MoBo/Cards/Heatsink but sould just pass right through!

15. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

LOL :lol: :lol:

good idea...