bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Feb 2012, 12:03   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
AMD packs Cyclos clock tech into Piledriver

Cyclos Semi has confirmed that AMD's Piledriver cores will include the company's resonant clock mesh technology.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...s-piledriver/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 12:48   #2
jakobfrimmel
Supermodder

jakobfrimmel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
would be intresting if you could explain how this technology actually works!! with processors becoming so advanced it becomes impossible to visualize what is actually happening!!
Motherboard: Gigabyte 890xA-ud3
RAM: 4gb ddr3 1600 OCZ @1600
jakobfrimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 12:50   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobfrimmel View Post
would be intresting if you could explain how this technology actually works!! with processors becoming so advanced it becomes impossible to visualize what is actually happening!!
If you take a look at the article, the very last sentence links to a great write-up of exactly how the technology works - far more detailed than I could cram into a news post.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 13:36   #4
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So Piledriver which many thought would be AMD's saving grace is more focused on lower power requirements rather than full on performance. I think we can safely say that there is absolutely no competition for Intel from the Mid range and up.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 13:52   #5
CAT-THE-FIFTH
Modder

CAT-THE-FIFTH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
So Piledriver which many thought would be AMD's saving grace is more focused on lower power requirements rather than full on performance. I think we can safely say that there is absolutely no competition for Intel from the Mid range and up.
Trinity replaces Llano. Vishera replaces Bulldozer. If anything improved power consumption and TDP would mean Vishera will probably clock higher. At least from what I gather IPC improvements will be there although how high they will be is unknown. In fact the main improvements of the Phenom II were slightly improved IPC,together with higher clockspeeds and much better power consumption.

Anyway,we will soon find out how the Trinity CPU section performs compared to Bulldozer(which has L3 cache).

Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21st Feb 2012 at 14:10.
CAT-THE-FIFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:08   #6
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
No, you have fundamentally misunderstood what it means.
By reducing power consumption the CPU designer can either increase die size (increase performance) or increase clock speeds (increase performance) and still stay within design power bands (45w/65w/95w/125w/140+w).

It means that AMD can maximise the performance of their CPU design as much as possible within their power limits.
This has no effect on whether or not it will beat or be competitive with Intel. Time will tell.
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:24   #7
----jimbo----
What's a Dremel?

----jimbo---- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Based on Piledriver-based x86 processing cores running at 4GHz and above"

Erm, that's surly not a good thing? What about 2-2.5Ghz?
----jimbo---- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:31   #8
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
How many times do AMD have to come out publicly and say "We can no longer compete at the top end, we are focussing more on low and mid ranged solutions that offer value for money" ?

Half of the problem with Bulldozer was, one again, expectation. I do lay some of the blame for that on AMD for being a one man band and running around with their bass drum making lots of "oompah" sounds and blowing their horn, but any one who actually thought it could take on Sandybridge was crazy.

The money for R&D just isn't there any more. The last time AMD competed at the top end they lost money on every CPU sold.
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:40   #9
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
anyone else sick of AMD promises?
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 14:59   #10
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223 View Post
As much of an AMD fan boy as I am, I'm starting to loss faith. I thought Bulldozer might have done something big and I'm keeping an eye out for the Pile driver stuff, but I think my next big upgrade will be Intel based, if it all doesn't shape up to well. 990X sort of power and high clock speed would be good enough for me, but seem they are struggling to get to that level.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 15:02   #11
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
What "promises" are these? Please post some links.
Or are you referring to AMD fanboy expectations? A brand of troll whose delusions are matched only by those with blue or green tee-shirts.
Old 21st Feb 2012, 15:26   #12
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
What "promises" are these? Please post some links.
Or are you referring to AMD fanboy expectations? A brand of troll whose delusions are matched only by those with blue or green tee-shirts.
agreed. amd isn't promising anything here, they're just stating that they're using a new-ish technology that will make a difference. they're not saying that this will be a deal sealer.
Old 21st Feb 2012, 15:28   #13
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum
Quote:
No, you have fundamentally misunderstood what it means.
By reducing power consumption the CPU designer can either increase die size (increase performance) or increase clock speeds (increase performance) and still stay within design power bands (45w/65w/95w/125w/140+w).

It means that AMD can maximise the performance of their CPU design as much as possible within their power limits.
This has no effect on whether or not it will beat or be competitive with Intel. Time will tell.
No, I don't think I have missed the point at all. TDP mainly affects clock speeds as you mentioned, but we learned years ago that a clock race just isn't enough to compete whether on low, mid or high end CPUs. You need to develop a good architecture that actually does something with the clock speed. Who cares if a certain AMD CPU can be overclocked to hit 4 or 5GHz when it is matched in terms of actual output performance by an Intel CPU running at stock speeds of less than half? Also, high overclocking also brings diminishing returns so the chips work out less efficient too.

The only thing AMD seems to announce these days is that their chips use less power while barely improving, and with Bulldozer, sometimes inferior performance.

As for the claims from AMD saying that they aren't trying to compete, it sounds like someone in a race who gets thoroughly beaten only to say that they didn't want to win and weren't actually trying.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 15:28   #14
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
All this based on a working chip back in 2009 and 3 years later AMD are only just getting around to include it in their processors, they seriously need to pull their socks up and get back in the game. If AMD or even Intel for that matter can bring a cool running 4Ghz multi-core/stream/whatever type of processor to the table with real performance gains then it would certainly be worth the purchase.

I can't help wonder what benefit the Cyclos technology might have in the ARM architecture.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 15:41   #15
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sweet, now AMD chips will only be somewhat worse on power consumption than Intel chips, instead of HUGELY worse.

5-10% lower average power draw is nice, but it isn't all that much. Even a 25% peak draw reduction only puts it in the ballpark of Sandbridge equivelent power draw. Ballpark, not as low as, but ballpark. That doesn't even get in to over clocking where Bulldozer is drawing nearly twice the power of an overclocked sandybridge chip.
Old 21st Feb 2012, 17:14   #16
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Regarding expectations... Was I the only one who read the marketing that AMD produced before the FX launch, about it out performing intel chips? marketing is a promise of performance to be delivered, and the FX failed - read every review published. As for fan-boy-ism, grow up please - that's just something you heard on the internet that you don't understand and repeat parrot fashion. Yes, I have only ever bought AMD processors, (except in laptops and pre-build machines), I have AMD graphics cards (and a Nvidia in a ubuntu box), but I'd never defend a company who's products are poor by their own published standards - that's lying and deception.

I want AMD to succeed, I want them to do that by providing value for money products that are competitive at their price point. A die shrunk X6 1100 would have made more performance sense than an FX don't you think?
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 18:52   #17
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yo dawg, I put KERS in your processor so your computer can KERS while you play F1 2011
Old 21st Feb 2012, 19:23   #18
technogiant
Supermodder

technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.
Amd's promises?.....

Bulldozer was going to be a kicking cpu........... :-/

OpenCl is going to replace proprietary Cuda and Physx...... :-/

HSA is going to give their platforms an advantage as only they have both advanced gpu and cpu...... :-/ we'll see but I'm not going to hold my breath or buy into their promises until I see working adoption.
technogiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 02:27   #19
campdude
What's a Dremel?

campdude has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The FX series is pretty powerconsuming for the amount of preformance to start with.
This new stuff might make it a normal chip.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 04:35   #20
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice too see something like this finally getting implemented on a large scale. the potential for energy savings in computer design is enormous, and tech like this is a real step forwards in design efficiency, one which i believe intel will soon be forced to follow.
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote