bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:08   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
DataWind's $35 tablet project hits trouble

DataWind's Aakash project to create a $35 tablet for the Indian government has hit a roadblock.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ject-trouble/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 15:38   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I can't believe a $35 tablet will be anything other than a poor shade of a product compared to mainstream devices that can cost 15-20 times as much.

I'm surprised you can even get a touchscreen, let alone the hardware behind it, for that kind of cost.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 16:25   #3
barny2767
Multimodder

barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
$35 is mad for a tablet i have been looking a making a raspberry pi with a small lcd screen that can run on a few batteries but all i can find scren wise is a 4.2'' lcd for 140 and that still needs somthing to give it a hdmi input
AMD PII x4 980 @ 4.2ghz - watercooled with a 280mm rad - Crosshair III formula - 8Gb Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600Mhz - PNY 680GTX - 60Gb OCZ solid3 SSD - 1tb Samsung F1 HDD - Antec P193 Case -Lots of fans - Cheap 22'' 1080p Acer monitor- Cheap 2.1 logitech speakers - Razor Deathadder 3500dpi mouse - Vespula mat- Lycosa keybord
barny2767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 16:32   #4
Mark_Skeldon
Multimodder

Mark_Skeldon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For $35 it will be made out of cheese.

The Hong-Kong-special I bought from eBay was 140 last year and it is one of the worst electronic devices I have ever used. So god only knows what that thing would be like!
i7 2600k @4.6GHz, | Asus Maximus IV Gene-z | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws CL9 | 2x Gigabyte R8 280X | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD | Coolermaster RP Pro 1000w | Coolermaster Silencio 652 | Onkyo SR608 amp | Mordaunt Short components |
Mark_Skeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 17:34   #5
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
For that price it will be a Pentium 2 soldered to an old Palm pda screen

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 17:41   #6
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A smidgen over 100 will net you a blackberry playbook! I've had several tablets, and the playbook is the best apart from an ipad (but that's twice as much), it's amazingly solidly built and by far the most responsive tab I've seen. Now that they're running android just fine I don't see why you'd have anything else.
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 18:25   #7
Mark_Skeldon
Multimodder

Mark_Skeldon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After all the tablets I've seen to date they all put me off with the low PPI.

If the iPad3 really does come with a retina-like screen and has at least the same PPI as the iPhone 4 then I'll have one.

Went to the apple store with the cash in my pocket for an iPad 2, but after seeing the crap PPI I just couldn't part with the money.
i7 2600k @4.6GHz, | Asus Maximus IV Gene-z | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws CL9 | 2x Gigabyte R8 280X | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD | Coolermaster RP Pro 1000w | Coolermaster Silencio 652 | Onkyo SR608 amp | Mordaunt Short components |
Mark_Skeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 19:06   #8
cave_diver
Modding Virgin

cave_diver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For 30 you really can't complain at all! I was really considering getting a kindle . but I could get this, get the kindle app for android and I'm off!

I think this is an incredible engineering feat as well as an incredible procurement task - like everyone has said, getting parts to do this for 30 odd is incredible!

I'm going to order one when I can and then see if i can fold on it :-)

Folding with: E3400, U7300, Opteron, E6750, Athlon64, 8800GTX x 2, GTX260 x 2
http://piro.pirocast.net/badge/fah01...255/538862.png
cave_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 21:14   #9
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The massive amount of point missing is going to do my head in.

It's not a $35 tablet, it's a tablet which is made of materials costing a total of $50, sold to students for $35 thanks to subsidies by the Indian government. As it the article clearly states, the commercial version of this tablet (the one any non-Indian students would be looking at) is set to cost 2,999Rs, about $61. No one here is going to be seeing a tablet hitting shelves for $35.

Secondly, this is an educational device for a developing country. Something like a 100 Blackberry Playbook (not to point fingers) is multiple times more expensive and likely to be unaffordable even with subsidies. These expensive devices are simply not an option for the targets of this tablet project. The "$35 tablet" isn't meant to be a competitor against devices costing many times more than it, it's meant to get technology into the hands of students who can't afford most electronics.
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 21:25   #10
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_diver
For 30 you really can't complain at all! I was really considering getting a kindle . but I could get this, get the kindle app for android and I'm off!

I think this is an incredible engineering feat as well as an incredible procurement task - like everyone has said, getting parts to do this for 30 odd is incredible!

I'm going to order one when I can and then see if i can fold on it :-)
Terrible idea - e-readers and tablets are completely different things. Reading on any tablet is horrible.

You need an E-ink screen to read on, not a tablet screen, sadly there isn't anything capable of doing both at the moment. Even a kindle fire is awful for reading on!
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 23:00   #11
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiMaL_FuSS
Reading on any tablet is horrible.
For you, but I read a lot on LCD screens. Hey I'm doing it now. There's no doubt eInk screens are great and do genuinely offer a better experience if you have ambient light, but have you actually read a novel on an iPad?

I use my iPad for reading at night without having to resort to partner disturbing lights, I can't do that with a Kindle or a real book.

Now when they bring out a daylight readable self illuminating high PPI fast responsive battery efficient 24bit colour panel... then we'll be cooking on gas!
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2012, 02:19   #12
Whindog
Supermodder

Whindog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Am i the only one that thinks 4inches of rain an hour is a ridiculously large amount of water for a elctronic device to withstand?
Old 24th Feb 2012, 02:51   #13
SinxarKnights
Multimodder

SinxarKnights has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is unfortunate news indeed.
SinxarKnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2012, 08:12   #14
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiMaL_FuSS
A smidgen over 100 will net you a blackberry playbook! I've had several tablets, and the playbook is the best apart from an ipad (but that's twice as much), it's amazingly solidly built and by far the most responsive tab I've seen. Now that they're running android just fine I don't see why you'd have anything else.
Maybe because they're out of production, and the $99 price tag (at a massive loss) was Leo's last FU before he got canned? Might be that, I'm not positive.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2012, 11:20   #15
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
The massive amount of point missing is going to do my head in.

It's not a $35 tablet, it's a tablet which is made of materials costing a total of $50, sold to students for $35 thanks to subsidies by the Indian government. As it the article clearly states, the commercial version of this tablet (the one any non-Indian students would be looking at) is set to cost 2,999Rs, about $61. No one here is going to be seeing a tablet hitting shelves for $35.

Secondly, this is an educational device for a developing country. Something like a 100 Blackberry Playbook (not to point fingers) is multiple times more expensive and likely to be unaffordable even with subsidies. These expensive devices are simply not an option for the targets of this tablet project. The "$35 tablet" isn't meant to be a competitor against devices costing many times more than it, it's meant to get technology into the hands of students who can't afford most electronics.
+1

Why is it people always feel the need to compare every single product under the sun to their own needs and have almost zero empathy and consideration for the needs of others. As you quite rightly state, this is to get technology into the hands of those people who have never had access to a computer, or a mobile phone, or the Internet.

I see adverts for sanitary towels and tampons....but I don't imagine how they'd feel on me and then write it up on a forum bitching that they aren't designed for my (male) anatomy
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote