bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 24th Feb 2012, 18:32   #1
tobyak
Multimodder

tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Project Arclight

Behold my latest creation to be

Project Arclight will be a huge case built on an Enermax Fulmo GT chassis with some serious power behind it also provided by Enermax in the shape of the mighty Platimax 1200watt psu

Te Arclight will be an all acrylic outer shell with a double action doors and servo actuated fan intakes that will open and close based on fan speeds, the shell will have a double tone look with layered panels of black and flourescent blue to accent every edge even the 100s of vent parts will have glowing edges, the interior will be a partitioned system very much like the custom partition for my other project "Sulaco" but with far more refinement

Much of the details i would like to keep slightly underwraps untill I post them for that extra mystery, heres a little peek at the exterior

several sponsors are already assisting me on this build and there help is as ever massively appreciated i simply would not be able to do this without them

Acrylic and solvent supplied by Hindleys. These guys are amazing, catering for 100s of different types of materials from plastic to metal and everything in between. And allays happy to answer even the craziest of questions a modder like me can ask

Massive thanks to Enermax for supplying a Fulmo GT, Platimax 1200wall and a vast array of case fans from there amazing Vegas range

Thanks also go to Bitfenix for givign me so much on my last project that i have enough spare to add to Arclight

Stay tuned for a lot more to come........

Last edited by tobyak; 3rd Nov 2012 at 18:36.
tobyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2012, 19:58   #2
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
Its always nice to get stuff for free

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2012, 21:01   #3
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks like it's going to be crazy acrylic time! =)
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2012, 21:33   #4
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice design. Looks very sharp.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2012, 23:37   #5
tobyak
Multimodder

tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.tobyak is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
IT is going to be a pretty hard build, over 100 parts on the intakes and i need to add all the pull rods and actuators
Old 18th Mar 2012, 12:37   #6
ASPHIAX
Beyond Complexity Lies Simplicity

ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ASPHIAX - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Nice one ! Subbed for sure !
W. www.ModWithMe.com
FB. https://www.facebook.com/ModWithMe
ASPHIAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 17:27   #7
tobyak
Multimodder

WoW a lot of time has passed since i was last able to get on this project, such a busy year

Well that was then this is now, and its all go from here, hew hardware, new materials, new tools

Arclight was origionialy designed for the Enermax fulmo GT a huge and brillicnt case, but time has marched on and Azza have offered me the chance to use there superb Genesis 9000, so a little redesigning was called for,

Concepts for the intakes have been redesigned to better fit the new chassis and all the electronics have been brouht in and in some cases teaching myself arduino voodoo

Heres the first batch of parts going in to the chassis

the origional blade design and array have changed slightly from this

to this

The array control mechanism of a pull rod attached to a servo will remain much thesame as the origional

Some parts will need to be scrapped or completely changed to fit the new body shell such as the origional concept for the sides

the new version will be a wait and see but they look great in the planning

Well this project will need a huge number of mechanical and electronic parts in top of your typical PC set up

This arduiuno kit courtesy of Phenoptix is a great start to the project and will be controlling several of my lighting systems including a rather clever hack of a LOL shield

LOL shields and old school bar graphs will be making quite an appearance as accenting lights, and yes there will be larson scanners

Servos and actuators will be making a big appearance including several mechanized fan intakes and a large front panel "shield"

And to wrap up this update and REBOOT, Kingston have graciously given there support and provided some of there swesome products

the amazing HyperX 120gig SSD

and a quad kit of DDR3 2400MHZ RAM

Stay tuned
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 18:42   #8
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I simply don't understand why I hadn't subscribed to this project log already.

Oh well - error corrected!

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 18:49   #9
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
exciting! I'm going to be using micro controllers and similar gear in a build I'm working on designing still. I'm stoked to see what you come up with!
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 19:26   #10
tobyak
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
exciting! I'm going to be using micro controllers and similar gear in a build I'm working on designing still. I'm stoked to see what you come up with!
Cheers dude. what kind of gear will you be using? the servos in this will be run by a Pololu 6 channel controller controlled via usb wen set to manual and by its on board processor when on auto, i am powering it with a modified molex rigged to only run on the 5v wire (more amps then USB)

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1350 a lot cheaper then using an arduino shield and can control 6 rather then 1
Old 27th Aug 2012, 22:55   #11
tobyak
Multimodder

Just a little update today

An absolute ton of cutting and sanding today

Well i dont have access to a lazer and i need a lot or duplicate pieces to were rocking it old school with a stencil

And what better to cut out my many many parts than a home made table saw, complete with mitre fence

Problem.... no sharpie..... solution... stick paper to plactic cover on acrylic and use engineering pencil... copy template.... move.... repeat.... over, and over

and now its on to cutting

first up divide the sheet up in to manageable blocks

then drill holes for turning the cutting blade in

some more cutting to further separate each component

first half done, all rough cut

bit of refining the shapes to reduce sending

sanding time...... 1 of 24

and yes that is a dyson taped to the extraction port

all done for the day, 24 pieces of the main intake array rough cut and rough sanded

i may never want to see acrylic AGAIN after this build....
Old 28th Aug 2012, 11:11   #12
Fuganater
Supermodder

Fuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run Crysis
Thats alot of cutting...
Old 28th Aug 2012, 15:45   #13
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Awesome concept.
-Personally, I wouldn't shape the parts too accurately until you get the layers glued together. That would make 3X less sanding and shaping.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 17:41   #14
Kylevdm
The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyak View Post

i may never want to see acrylic AGAIN after this build....
I say that all the time....

Good work so far Toby!
Core i7 920 D0 :: Asus P6T Deluxe v2 :: 6GB Crucial BalistiX :: Asus GTX 570 :: ENERMAX Platimax 850W :: OCZ Agility 3 120GB :: 4x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
Kylevdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 18:35   #15
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyak View Post
Cheers dude. what kind of gear will you be using? the servos in this will be run by a Pololu 6 channel controller controlled via usb wen set to manual and by its on board processor when on auto, i am powering it with a modified molex rigged to only run on the 5v wire (more amps then USB)

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1350 a lot cheaper then using an arduino shield and can control 6 rather then 1
nice man, sounds like your a lot futher into planning than I am I'm thinking I will probably use a Pic controller because I have an extra kicking around my house somewhere. My needs for the motor are pretty simple though, and I might end up going with a different solution. This is for linear movement not rotary, so slides, springs and dampers might end up being the better way in my case.

Looks like your making some awesome progress though man, keep the updates coming!
Old 28th Aug 2012, 19:28   #16
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
One of these days, they'll make a Sketchup mod that models the lighting too.

Subscribed. Mod on my friend.
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 21:04   #17
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfun View Post
One of these days, they'll make a Sketchup mod that models the lighting too.

Subscribed. Mod on my friend.
Well thats what rendering software is for isn't it? Or maybe I don't understand what your getting at
Old 28th Aug 2012, 21:54   #18
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
Well thats what rendering software is for isn't it? Or maybe I don't understand what your getting at
You can get Sketchup to show the light and shadows cast by various light sources and how they interact with your modeled parts?
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2012, 13:50   #19
tobyak
Multimodder

damn, ive not been getting my updates on replies so sorry for late get backs

@Cheapskate Well ahead of you dude, spotted that early so i broke out the WW2 era Russian glass syringe and the dichloromethane. results in next update ile have up over the weekend

@Kylevdm this is just one grill..... 3 more smaller fiddely ones to go

@sixfootsideburns i know a great UK online store to get actuators, the stripped down motor with threaded shaft versions, there not pretty or refined but they are dirt cheap and have enough power for PC use

@monkeyfun learn solidworks ya bum

next update over the weekend, keep em peeled, and Kyle/Cheapskate ile see you on the podcast
Old 11th Sep 2012, 01:44   #20
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Great idea on the slats! hope you dont mind if i steal that idea for the plans on my first build, if i can get my ass lit on fire and get a job.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(6) 20/15, acrylic, servos

View Mode