bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 25th Feb 2012, 15:59   #1
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Dragon Reworked [looking for ideas]

I have finally decided to start work on my old Chieftec Dragon case.

Currently, I have very little in the way of an overall plan for it, so I'm looking for ideas and inspiration.

Here's the old girl

Even without a clear idea of what I want to achieve, there's nothing stopping me making a start; so, after ten minutes of rivet drilling, I'm left with this...

And this...

I will be watercooling, so I do plan on a 360 rad in the roof and a 240 in the lower front panel.

I'm currently degreasing and cleaning the parts, and I'm either going to paint them or send them for powder coating. Clearly I won't be doing any of that until I make the required cuts and holes.

Anyone know the costs of powder coating, and a good company to use?

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2012, 20:34   #2
improprietary
FT03 is a bitch to watercool

improprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ooooh the memories.
improprietary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2012, 13:40   #3
Spreadie

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Slight change of plan. I have (will have) two 240 rads spare pretty soon, so I'm putting a 240 in the roof, instead of a 360; for now.

30 minutes with a jigsaw and file, plus around an hour's hard graft with an emery pad, and the difference is striking...

My arms feel like they're gunna fall off. I am so unfit.

Last edited by Spreadie; 26th Feb 2012 at 13:49.
Old 26th Feb 2012, 15:14   #4
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
as I was reading the first post I was thinking that's just crying out for a rad in the roof and you done it...Nice start, i love these cases.

It's got to have a window in it as well.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2012, 18:11   #5
Spreadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
as I was reading the first post I was thinking that's just crying out for a rad in the roof and you done it...Nice start, i love these cases.
When I decided on a 240 for the roof, I was torn between the mounting I've gone for and maybe fitting a couple of fat 240s side by side with vents cut in either door; but doing it that way means dropping the PSU back down on to it's bracket, and I'm planning to use that to mount the pump(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
It's got to have a window in it as well.
It'll be getting at least one window, Jeff - anything to reduce the amount of sanding required for those side panels.

That reminds me, I need to find some flat u-channel edging; and I have to research the best way to remove acoustic matting.

Old 26th Feb 2012, 18:22   #6
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My 2cents on this is NEW FEET! but they new roof looks great, where are the Rad templates from ?
Old 26th Feb 2012, 18:25   #7
Spreadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManc View Post
My 2cents on this is NEW FEET! but they new roof looks great, where are the Rad templates from ?
The old feet are consigned to the skip, they were pretty nasty, and I have a set of casters spare... I have thought about recessing them in the case floor so it sits lower down, but I'll have to measure their swivel circumference, to see if it's worthwhile, or even possible to do without hindering mobo placement.

The rad templates are from MNPCTech. Clicky

Cheers!

Last edited by Spreadie; 26th Feb 2012 at 18:30.
Old 26th Feb 2012, 18:30   #8
AK71
Multimodder

AK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for president
Oo, looking forward to this. That case certainly brings back a lot of memories
Old 26th Feb 2012, 23:34   #9
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have much love for these cases, all i am going to say is 'keep it pure to the design' its a classic case which needs love and attention
Burnout21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 03:56   #10
kaiter
What's a Dremel?

kaiter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice post thanks for sharing.
kaiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 08:45   #11
Spreadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
I have much love for these cases, all i am going to say is 'keep it pure to the design' its a classic case which needs love and attention
I know what you mean, and it is a little difficult when throwing ideas around.

The idea is that it will remain, and be recognisable as, a Dragon. However, if that means I only give it a lick of paint and throw a bit of fairy dust on there, what's the point? On the other hand, this is my first project log, and skills and budget are not exactly boundless.

A perfect example is the front door and fascia panel - that is what identifies the case. So, my problem is how do I make changes to the front without destroying it's identity?

I have a lot of thinking to do.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Last edited by Spreadie; 27th Feb 2012 at 08:54.
Old 27th Feb 2012, 09:05   #12
matiss
Multimodder

matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.
Damn im getting old *memories*. Nice idea putting that good old trusting case to a new job. I should revive mine too
matiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 21:59   #13
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
I know what you mean, and it is a little difficult when throwing ideas around.

The idea is that it will remain, and be recognisable as, a Dragon. However, if that means I only give it a lick of paint and throw a bit of fairy dust on there, what's the point? On the other hand, this is my first project log, and skills and budget are not exactly boundless.

A perfect example is the front door and fascia panel - that is what identifies the case. So, my problem is how do I make changes to the front without destroying it's identity?

I have a lot of thinking to do.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
My old dragon

That was 7 coats of Ford Mexico yellow, each flatten and buffed, the main chassis painted black. I miss the case as it ended up in a skip after uni as I had no room for it

However I do have another one shown bellow in my old render farm.

With yours I would extend the hole pattern on the side panel into something interesting and back-light it
Burnout21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 22:13   #14
Spreadie

Nice looking Dragon!

Interesting idea about the hole pattern. I'm going for a window, but there's nothing to stop me making a pattern on the other panel. Food for thought, thank you.

In other news, I'm praying for the rain to hold off this weekend, so I can make some more progress. I don't have a garage, unfortunately, and the shed is rammed.

Old 11th Mar 2012, 09:44   #15
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Had any ideas yet mate? Or is that asking too much?
adidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2012, 11:17   #16
Spreadie

I'm still stripping it back to bare metal at the moment, mate. And building up the courage to try removing the acoustic matting.

Old 11th Mar 2012, 11:28   #17
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking good, nice start. Can't wait for more!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2012, 07:44   #18
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
I'm still stripping it back to bare metal at the moment, mate. And building up the courage to try removing the acoustic matting.
Do it man, there's sun in the sky, just do it!
adidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2012, 22:04   #19
tr3
What's a Dremel?

tr3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How is the modding going, as I have the same GIANT case doing nothing......

Tr3
tr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2012, 15:34   #20
Spreadie

The project is on hold at the moment, but by no means abandoned.

It's mostly stripped back to bare metal and the foam matting is gone, but all the bits are in a box in the shed for now. I have some designs made out for the side panel lighting, but I need access to a pillar drill to do them justice - there may be an old one up for grabs at work, I'm just waiting for a decision from the gaffer.

Also, my mate is building a proper spray booth at the bottom of his garage - so I'm hoping to give it a really good paint job.

View Mode