bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Feb 2012, 09:11   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Synology DS212+ Review

Do USB 3 and a 2GHz CPU make the DS212+ even better than DS211+?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...ds212-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 10:37   #2
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
I have an old Synology DS107+
Had its since about 2008, its only a single bay but works well, unfortunately Ive since had to replace it with a custom built NAS running Freenas.

These things show their age quickly as file sizes grow larger and larger.

Always worth stumping for a model that you can later update the ram.

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 11:36   #3
TheLegendJoe
Syntax error

TheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheLegendJoe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got a DS411J and have to say its bloody brilliant, the DSM OS is constantly update, and feels like a full linux environment, but allot more user friendly. I get read speeds at typically 80MB/s and writes of around 60MB/s. The entire house uses it almost continuasly aswell, after I've put every DVD we own on there, and CD, they're just so convenient! All your content everywhere for about 30Watts of power and a hit on the wallet too obviously
| 965BE@3.8Ghz | 12GB G.Skill RAM@ 1,700Mhz | XFX 5850 900/1200Mhz | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | Corsair tx850Watt | Soundblaster 1000watt RMS custom 5.1 system | DS411j 4x3TB* RAID 5 @9TB NAS |1080p40" + 23" 720p |
TheLegendJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 12:05   #4
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'll probably buy into these when they will feature thunderbolt
Old 27th Feb 2012, 13:39   #5
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
should the marking be on speed/features/value? seems to be speed/features/features? nice review though
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 14:37   #6
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My DS211j is still cranking since day one with no issues. Very fast and I have no issues with a few users streaming at the same time.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 15:58   #7
bOO9000
What's a Dremel?

bOO9000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is there any chance you might review the Zyxel NSA325 it's cheap and looks very capable, PC Advisor and Trusted Reviews have both given very positive reviews, but would see something a bit more in depth.

Thanks
bOO9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 16:51   #8
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How about a feature in the magazine where you build a freenas box from something ancient, and compare to one of these shop bought NAS boxes - that would be good... power, noise, flexibility...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 16:58   #9
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendJoe View Post
I've got a DS411J and have to say its bloody brilliant, the DSM OS is constantly update, and feels like a full linux environment, but allot more user friendly. I get read speeds at typically 80MB/s and writes of around 60MB/s. The entire house uses it almost continuasly aswell, after I've put every DVD we own on there, and CD, they're just so convenient! All your content everywhere for about 30Watts of power and a hit on the wallet too obviously
I've had pretty much the same experience as you; slightly higher read speeds for me, slightly lower writes. I'm very impressed with it - although the true test will be how it handles a drive dying and its subsequent replacement.
Old 28th Feb 2012, 00:35   #10
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
What do you use to rip your DVDs? I have a HP micro server and am looking for a way to rip and compress my DVD collection to it. (running full win7 pro)
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2012, 10:05   #11
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
I've had pretty much the same experience as you; slightly higher read speeds for me, slightly lower writes. I'm very impressed with it - although the true test will be how it handles a drive dying and its subsequent replacement.
been there, done that on my Ds410j. (well, drive DoA with clicks, so replaced after volume has been set up) basically, remove the drive, and plug in the new one, it rebuilds the array. i turned it off while replacing the drive, but all data are still accessible when array is rebuilding.

value of these NAS is subjective. compared to custom build and FreeNAS, i find it to be fantastic value. at similar price, yet with much much better interface, and without hassle of building it.

buying a NAS is same as buying a router or smart phone: feature isn't the important part, it is the user interface and whether the user can intuitively use that feature. Synology captured this brilliantly, so many people would be willing to pay a little extra. (for routers would be Cisco/Linksys or Netgear, smart phones would be Apple)
Old 28th Feb 2012, 14:31   #12
Technobod
Finally bought a desktop :D

Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.Technobod is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't see why people don't get HP Microservers? It works out more than 100 cheaper than one of these and you get 5 bays comes with dual core 1.5GHz processor, 2GB of RAM and a 250GB drive. I recently got myself one and its freakin fantastic, its booting off the internal USB port to allow me the full size of my disks to RAID. Come on Bit-tech wheres the review and whats wrong with it community?

[Weihrauch HW100S .22 + HW100KT .177 + HW97K .22][Hawke Panoramas 4x-12x x3]
Technobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2012, 16:21   #13
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobod View Post
I don't see why people don't get HP Microservers?
Completely different target markets.

The Synology boxes are simple and need very little technical knowledge to get up and running. Freenas isn't as easy to setup and cannot do half the things a synology unit can do out of the box.
Old 29th Feb 2012, 05:44   #14
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHunter
What do you use to rip your DVDs? I have a HP micro server and am looking for a way to rip and compress my DVD collection to it. (running full win7 pro)
Personally, I've always used DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/) for ripping and DVDShrink (dvdshrink.org) for compressing, if I'm just looking for a straight rip. For more control, I use AutoGK - ridiculous amount of options, but GordianKnot itself, and the half-dozen programs it needs along with it was pissing me off. Once I got AutoGK configured and running, it's awesome. DVD Decrypter is no longer developed, but I've never found a DVD it couldn't rip. YMMV, though - it's been a while since I've ripped anything (ripped all I owned way back, been strictly d/l since then.)
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2012, 14:12   #15
ed_sweden
What's a Dremel?

ed_sweden has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobod
I don't see why people don't get HP Microservers? It works out more than 100 cheaper than one of these and you get 5 bays comes with dual core 1.5GHz processor, 2GB of RAM and a 250GB drive. I recently got myself one and its freakin fantastic, its booting off the internal USB port to allow me the full size of my disks to RAID. Come on Bit-tech wheres the review and whats wrong with it community?
Microservers are great but are limited to RAID 0 or 1 - no RAID 5 or 6, which (at least for me) is important.
ed_sweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2012, 14:19   #16
Sunsawe
What's a Dremel?

Sunsawe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hi,
In this test, you describe the hardware that you are using to measure the read/write speed of the DiskStation but... What is the software setup? are you using FTP, Samba, NFS?
Sunsawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2012, 15:13   #17
srmans
What's a Dremel?

srmans has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Perhaps not to everyone's liking but I built a MS HomeServer over Xmas with a budget similar to the cost of this NAS (based on a Pentium G620). I already had the hard drives and the case so costs were kept down and I'm able to run up to 6 drives, some in RAID 10.
It perhaps does not have all the features of a turn key NAS like this one but I find myself only needing a file server to be honest.
When the server is idle and the drives have spun down I've seen the power consumption drop to 40W. OK, not as good as a dedicated NAS but not bad. When active it is about 65W on average.
srmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2012, 00:28   #18
dombera
What's a Dremel?

dombera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hi! I run Linux and currently looking into this nas.. Does anyone has a problems with this nas on Linux? It is a main factor for me and would appreciate any comment.
dombera is offline   Reply With Quote