bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Feb 2012, 12:13   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
LSI boosts SSD capacities with over-provisioning change

LSI's SandForce controllers can now use 'zero per cent' over-provisioning, boosting capacities by around seven per cent.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...d-capacities/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 13:13   #2
alialias
Modder

alialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremelalialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This seems a bit silly, really. When someone buys a SSD, they do it for the performance, not the capacity, so i'd be surprised if anyone was gonna sacrifice that extra zoom for a couple of GB when they most likely have a Hard Disk anyway.
alialias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 13:56   #3
DBA
I do my modding with a spoon

DBA has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well if you have a 60 GB SSD then 4 extra GB could matter. That amount of extra storage is good enough for more than a few programs.
Personally I consider it a good trade off.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2012, 15:15   #4
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If the performance hit is barely noticable, then I'd want the extra capacity even at the expense of longevity. I am not likely to end up running in to NAND flash longevity issues. Heck, I have a 60GB Vertex as my boot disk (granted my page file is on my 500GB 7200rpm disk) and I think I am around 85-90% life left on the disk the last time I checked a few months ago. That is with about 3 years of use out of the thing as of June.
Old 27th Feb 2012, 18:30   #5
Sparrowhawk
Wetsander

Sparrowhawk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm with Alialias. I'll only buy one of the 'new' drives if there is a way/utility/driver that I can use that would reinstate the over-provisioning. The over-provisioning + a DRAM cache would just be an extra speedy bonus to me as I'd still use a small HDD for pagefile and mass storage.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2012, 06:33   #6
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
I'm with Alialias. I'll only buy one of the 'new' drives if there is a way/utility/driver that I can use that would reinstate the over-provisioning. The over-provisioning + a DRAM cache would just be an extra speedy bonus to me as I'd still use a small HDD for pagefile and mass storage.
Yup, just leave some of the SSD unformatted. Personally, I leave about 28% unformatted (including the provisioned space).
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2012, 10:16   #7
Vo0Ds
Fake potato

Vo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the DremelVo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm still holding off 'till the price comes down and the technology settles a bit more... Would be miffed if I had to re-format my hard drive every month when new software comes out.

Masara: i5 2500@4.2Ghz | Asus P8P67LE | EVGA GTX460SC | 8Gb Corsair 1600 | 1TB WD-C BLACK | Fractal R3 | LG 23" IPS
LEGO Ghetto HTPC: Broken-ass laptop pulled apart, now a HTPC... made of LEGO. UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Vo0Ds is offline   Reply With Quote