bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old Yesterday, 21:10   #1
Whirly
Supermodder

Whirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cheapest way to get (retail) Windows 7/8?

So it seems that my house has been cursed in the last month by a PC killing witch. Either that, or 3 PCs just decided to die all within a month of each other. I'm going with the witch thing.

Anyway, I was able to re-use one windows 7 key as it was retail and I had bought a Windows 8 key when MS were doing them cheap. But now I find myself about to build the 3rd PC and wondering where the cheapest place to get a retail Windows key would be. I've checked out the obvious places but I don't fancy paying 150 if I can help it.

Of course, I could go OEM but recent experience kinda makes me want to grab a copy that can be transferred if I want to upgrade the mobo/cpu...

So, am I missing something? Is there a cheaper way to buy (legally), or do I just have to bite the bullet?
Whirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:27   #2
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks like the retail non-pro version of 8.1 is 99.99 direct from Microsoft.
Best price elsewhere I could find from a recognised shop was here: http://www.dabs.com/products/microso...onal-93L0.html (86.74).

Otherwise there is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-...-/331169796089 ???

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:13   #3
sparkyboy22
Web Tinkerer

sparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for presidentsparkyboy22 should be considered for president
Phone MS and tell them pc failed and ask to reuse existing oem key.
Usually they will allow it.

sparkyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:39   #4
narwen
narwen

narwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitnarwen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
win 8.1 non-pro 70.57 from scan.
Old Today, 04:37   #5
Jay88018
Modder

Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jay88018 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Or sign up to a college course, and use the college email addy to sign up to dreamspark......free is a nice price
Old Today, 08:41   #6
Whirly
Supermodder

Whirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhirly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyboy22 View Post
Phone MS and tell them pc failed and ask to reuse existing oem key.
Usually they will allow it.
Hmm, I might try that. Thanks for the heads up Sparkyboy.

As for the college course, I think there comes a point where you might (just) be going too far for a bargain.

As for everyone else, thanks for your help and suggestions. Much appreciated.
Old Today, 10:06   #7
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youLjs - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88018 View Post
Or sign up to a college course, and use the college email addy to sign up to dreamspark......free is a nice price
I had a look on Dreamspark and didn't see Windows 7/8 available there?
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:11   #8
Whirly
Supermodder

Well the good news is I seem to have solved my own problem. Walked into Currys this afternoon and managed to pick up THIS PC for 115. Seems I can claim a free copy of Battlefield 4 as well. I would prefer to build my own PC but at that price I couldn't say no.

Weird thing is that it seems to have a GT620 card added with the mobo video outputs covered up. Why on earth you'd replace built-in graphics with a discrete card that is worse, I've no idea. Still, hopefully I can remove the card and restore the built-in graphics. Maybe use the Gt620 in a media server.