bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 58 42.65%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 32 23.53%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 46 33.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd Mar 2012, 19:42   #201
loftie
Ultramodder

loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.
Running consumer preview on Virtualbox, it runs ok. Not sure what i think about it though. Sometimes i like it, other times i dont

Edit: am i being stupid or is there noway to get back to the metro screen if you're in an app, except either closing the app, windows key, or hovering on the right to get the menu to hit start?
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 19:44   #202
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I installed it on VMware Player today. Its quite snappy in terms of performance tbh, even in a VM on 2 vCPUs (i7-2760qm ohhh yes) and 2gb ram (got 6gb, but only allocated the VM 2g). That's a positive.

I looked at it with two hats on.

The first hat was as a business user. This is the Consumer Preview, so its probably not fair to judge it until I actually see the business edition. But as a business user, I hated it.

It will depend how the Metro interface morphs when in 'business mode' - it could work quite smartly by having app tiles, a Lync tile, an Outlook Calendar tile which gives your upcoming tasks and/or today's meetings, unread emails, the other office apps, maybe a Sharepoint web-parts tile which can open document repositories and stuff like that. Perhaps if its all creatable programmatically via a domain policy it'd work nicely too.

The second hat was as a home user. Meh. Its different, but its not horrible. As a home user all I'm worried about is launching: Steam, Firefox and Windows Explorer occasionally to play music or pictures.

If I bought something that had it on I wouldn't throw a hissy fit, but I wouldn't go and buy the upgrade version at all.

When the business version comes out on MSDN or whatever I'll give that a spin and see how it changes things.
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 20:00   #203
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post
Edit: am i being stupid or is there noway to get back to the metro screen if you're in an app, except either closing the app, windows key, or hovering on the right to get the menu to hit start?
I don't get your question. Those are plenty of ways.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 20:05   #204
loftie
Ultramodder

loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.
I think i was just expecting a minimize option on screen, not to have to use a keyboard button or wait for the side menu to appear
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 20:08   #205
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I think i was just expecting a minimize option on screen, not to have to use a keyboard button or wait for the side menu to appear
Take mouse, move it to the bottom most right corner, and click.
The metro app is now minimized (suspended on the back).

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 21:49   #206
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Old 2nd Mar 2012, 22:01   #207
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!

Lies. I have an extra hour of battery life on my laptop over WIn7 64-bit.
And my laptop is 4 years old. Core 2 Duo P8400, 4GB of RAM, Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M, 1440x900

But I am on idle.

Old 2nd Mar 2012, 22:25   #208
GoodBytes

Picture!

Old 3rd Mar 2012, 00:11   #209
loftie
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
Take mouse, move it to the bottom most right corner, and click.
The metro app is now minimized (suspended on the back).
Doesn't work for me.... however bottom left, eureka! Ty for the help, it was me being stupid.
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 00:19   #210
Gaming_freak_10
Hypermodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Picture!
snip
how the heck did you get 2 batteries, GB? lol
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 01:24   #211
GoodBytes

Quote:
Doesn't work for me.... however bottom left, eureka! Ty for the help, it was me being stupid.
Sorry, I am the idiot.. I meant left.

Old 3rd Mar 2012, 01:49   #212
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaming_freak_10 View Post
how the heck did you get 2 batteries, GB? lol
lol. Yea crazy laptop.

My laptop is the Dell Latitude E6400 14inch 16:10 aspect ratio. 4 years ago, it was considered thin system (other systems where much thicker, with the large optical drive that they had.. this system uses the newer thin ones. It was about MacBook Pro 13inch height)

It came complete, with smart location of port (the big ones on the back), LED monitor to save power (this was fairly new back then), non-glossy screen, wireless N, solid block metal hinges, magnesium alloy construct body. And is FULLY user accessible (a few screws you can pull the motherboard out! To access the inside: it's 1 screw slide out panel design. Feels like opening a desktop computer). Top things off, it also came with the OS disk, and junk free. Oh yes! you read that correctly. Plus, it came with eSATA, and DisplayPort connectivity. Quiet operation, and isn't burning hot at the bottom. In fact the fan rarely spin. I must be playing a game or playing Flash video for like an hour to have it kick-in.

This laptop support 2 batteries.
The first battery, is the traditional one:

(9-cell 90Whr version pictured above)

The second battery is a small 12-cell 14V battery plate that you add at the bottom, making the laptop a hint thinner than any other laptop (at the time). It connects via the dock port of the laptop which is at the bottom. I don't have it, because my laptop already provides plenty of hours for my needs... Heck I recently tested playing Portal 2 on it for 4-5 hours on the plane ).

The 2 batteries together, gets you about 18-22 hours of battery life (based on reviews), depending on the specs you pick.

Honestly, I think this was THE BEST system that Dell has ever done. And it came (you can't go lower), with a 3 year warranty and 3 year next business day on site service (so Dell comes to you). No other laptop today, or back then, offer something this big as warranty, including Lenovo. If they offer something this crazy, you know it won't break on you, and it hasn't so far, and still looks like new.

The Power Adapter is also really small, 90W. Not Mac Book Pro small, but much smaller than other 90W PSU's of other manufacture, or the new, much much much crappier one that Dell gives now.

Windows 8 marks my first battery as second. That is a bug (I only have the 9-cell one, not the plate)

Honestly, I find it truly disgusting that today, OEM simply give up. They cut on quality like no tomorrow, they put lower and lower screen resolution, crappier and crappier TN panels (while tablets, costs far less, uses IPS panels, and much much much much higher resolutions for their size.. heck even 1920x1200 on a small table (ASUS Transformer Prime TF700T).
If this system breaks, I'll truly miss it, especially that it ran Vista 64-bit like a champ.

Best 1600$ Canadian ever spent (300$ less than a Mac Book Pro 13inch, and more powerful, and only 1 year warranty, and no Windows).

All this system needs as an upgrade is faster HDD (I only have a 5400RPM one). CPU, memory, GPU is still plenty (ok well GPU lacking. Intel offering today on desktop (not laptops) is faster, but I rarely play games on it, but it does handle Windows interface very well, 1080p video as well, which is plenty (I play games on my desktop). Oh this GPU and because the laptop has excellent cooling, I can overclock my GPU like no tomorrow, I can easily almost double the clocks (except memory, due to lack of any heatsink on them :/ ).

Last edited by GoodBytes; 3rd Mar 2012 at 02:16.
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 08:18   #213
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
anyone in the uk been able to use the metro mail app with exchange?
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 08:59   #214
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
lol. Yea crazy laptop.

My laptop is the Dell Latitude E6400 14inch 16:10 aspect ratio. 4 years ago, it was considered thin system (other systems where much thicker, with the large optical drive that they had.. this system uses the newer thin ones. It was about MacBook Pro 13inch height)

(snip - goodbytes making it pretty clear that this is an awesome laptop)
Yeah I had an E6500 for a year and a half before taking a swap to an E5500 which was hanging around because the E5500 has a serial port (comms engineer = that's handy).

I then managed to swap to an E6420 with a i7-2760qm (quad core+ht 2.40ghz)

We've got some E6510 and E6410 hanging around too - absolutely brilliant laptops, all of them.

All you gotta do to escape the crapware is to ring the SME sales line (I'm sure Goodbytes knows this) and they don't even pre-install antivirus or office, just plain Windows.

The first thing I did was remove the Intel ProSet Wireless and install the driver-only package and since then I've been exceedingly happy
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 09:56   #215
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
so with Metro screen being the new start menu, installed apps would dump useless icons onto it.

unlike mobile OS such as Android or iOS, each app on the home screen is installed by the user. those are background apps installed by K-lite codec pack. does Microsoft expect users to manage bucket loads of background asset apps?

Old 3rd Mar 2012, 10:13   #216
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Being horrible as it is now, the sane solution would have been if K-lite created a folder in Start Screen where it would dump all of those shortcuts.

It seems folders can be pinned:
http://www.bytewiki.com/how-to-add-o...-start-screen/
Have to try it yet.
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 10:28   #217
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
so with Metro screen being the new start menu, installed apps would dump useless icons onto it.

unlike mobile OS such as Android or iOS, each app on the home screen is installed by the user. those are background apps installed by K-lite codec pack. does Microsoft expect users to manage bucket loads of background asset apps?

you can unpin the tiles if you wanted, then you can just start typing to find what you are looking for.

don't know if anyone has discovered it yet, but screenshots are much easier to get win+PrtSc automatically saves a png file in your pictures folder

Last edited by RichCreedy; 3rd Mar 2012 at 10:34.
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 10:38   #218
Krazeh
I *am* a Dremel

Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post

Just right-click on the ones you don't want and select 'unpin from start', simples.
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 10:57   #219
Coltch
Multimodder

Coltch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Starting to get used to it now (still hate the start screen) and decided to see how it worked on my other half's Netbook (Acer Aspire One) - can't launch apps from the start screen because the screen res is too low - she is happy though as it's 'nicer to look at' than Win 7 Starter.

It is running fine on my Netbook (Sony Vaio) - better than win 7 starter - but I still wont put it on my main machine.
Coltch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 11:16   #220
Krazeh
I *am* a Dremel

Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Just found out you can essentially disable the Metro version of IE without needing to install and set another browser as default. If you open IE and goto Internet Options > Program the first option lets you choose how IE should open links. If you change that from 'Automatic' to 'Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop' and check the box for 'Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop' you should always end up in the desktop version of IE when you click a link or pinned tile (including the default pinned IE tile).
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview