bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 59 42.14%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.29%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 47 33.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th Apr 2013, 11:39   #2701
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
You really have no idea how these drones work, do you?
You do not need a C&C for a RQ-170 Sentinel.
Old 6th Apr 2013, 12:35   #2702
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You do need something that has range, so needs to be fairly big and economical. Depending on task you need it to be manoeuvrable. Then you need the radio control infrastructure that is safe from radio interference or signal hijacking (as the military found in Afghanistan). Basically: patching into cellular, satellite communications or big-ass aerials. That stuff, if not already in place (and in places like Afghanistan or Africa it isn't), is a huge outlay. If it is in place, you need to rent bandwidth on it.

Got that? Good. Now you think drones are simpler because you can leave out the human pilot. But you can't; you are in fact replacing the human pilot, and humans are complex things to replace. So where cables would have done, you now need servos and actuators, and electronics to drive them. Brain is replaced by on-board computer, eyes by several wide-angle high-res cameras which all have to pipe that information back by a powerful transmitter (there's that range issue again). And then you still need a set of controls, computer and a human pilot on the ground to control the thing.

The autogyro is an ultralight: a moped engine with some propellers and cable-controlled surfaces and a seat. It has no electronics as such. There is remarkably little to go wrong and when it does, even a Third-World mechanic in Africa can fix it with the most basic tools. And it does one thing that drones can't: it transports people. That pilot can be a doctor or a park ranger it engineer, who can land on a very short and bumpy runway, get out and deal with a problem on site. Then he can take off again on the same short, bumpy plain and fly to the next job.

You really have no idea about drones, kiddo.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2013, 13:08   #2703
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Right. So windows 8 is best suited for doctors in the bush. Or is it for remotely waging war.

These metaphors are getting quite convoluted.

theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2013, 13:27   #2704
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
You do need something that has range, ...
Depending on what you wish to do.
Quote:
Basically: patching into cellular, satellite communications or big-ass aerials. That stuff, if not already in place...
And if it is?
Quote:
And it does one thing that drones can't: it transports people.
Ok...

So, in the end, you agree that comparing W8\RT UI to the advent of heavier-than-air flight makes no sense and the closest aeronautical analogy is an autogyro, two previous ways of flying glued together?
Which, even with so many strengths, still hasnt managed to replace conventional planes or helicopters?
Old 6th Apr 2013, 18:01   #2705
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I agree that you appear unable to derive principle from analogy, that an autogyro like any other tool is ideal for certain uses but not others, and that tools complement, rather than replace each other.

But, you know, whatever peels your potato.

EDIT: today, on my Surface RT I'm streaming music (snapped left) while browsing RRS feeds in News Bento, which displays a column of news on the left (to the right of the snapped music column, in this case) and the highlighted article to the right (automatically formatted to fit the field). In said article I'm watching a YouTube video in a window. I can turn down volume or pause the music in the left column if I want. If I decide to watch the article on its original web page, it flicks to the browser, still in the snapped right-hand pane. Afterwards I just flick back to the news reader. Throughout it all: music playing and simultaneously watching video, flicking apps, the tablet doesn't even break a sweat. Nothing slows, nothing stutters. And it all happens on the same screen. Try that on an iPad. Or even an Android device.

Seriously, haters are clueless.

Last edited by Nexxo; 7th Apr 2013 at 13:21.
Old 9th Apr 2013, 14:55   #2706
notmeagain
Supermodder

notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.notmeagain is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I agree that you appear unable to derive principle from analogy, that an autogyro like any other tool is ideal for certain uses but not others, and that tools complement, rather than replace each other.

But, you know, whatever peels your potato.

EDIT: today, on my Surface RT I'm streaming music (snapped left) while browsing RRS feeds in News Bento, which displays a column of news on the left (to the right of the snapped music column, in this case) and the highlighted article to the right (automatically formatted to fit the field). In said article I'm watching a YouTube video in a window. I can turn down volume or pause the music in the left column if I want. If I decide to watch the article on its original web page, it flicks to the browser, still in the snapped right-hand pane. Afterwards I just flick back to the news reader. Throughout it all: music playing and simultaneously watching video, flicking apps, the tablet doesn't even break a sweat. Nothing slows, nothing stutters. And it all happens on the same screen. Try that on an iPad. Or even an Android device.

Seriously, haters are clueless.
"whatever peels your potato"

I don't need all that multi-tasking busy interface screen juggling, i'm happy with the iPad - not because im a fanboy, but because it does precisely what I want it to do.
Emails, no distractions
Reading, no distractions
Web Browsing, no distractions

Anyone who needs to consume so much media at the same time is (in my aging eyes) a tad insane.

If i want true multi tasking, I use my PC.

I did upgrade to windows 8 to capitalize on the discounted price - and immediately installed that Start8 program to get rid of TIFKAM, and immediately regretted it, the interface is as ugly as a bespotted buttock in winter.
notmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 20:47   #2707
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

That is kind of my point: horses for courses. You won't find me hating on the iPad or iOS (in fact I find myself defending it since its launch in 2010, when people still thought it was an overpriced, useless passing fad). And I think that the iPad Mini is near perfection in a tablet. They don't suit my purposes but that does not make them rubbish. So why the Windows 8/Surface RT hate?
Old 9th Apr 2013, 21:30   #2708
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I can answer that Nexxo, Microsoft. people love to hate anything Microsoft do. even when the problem itself isn't created by Microsoft, but by the OEMs (Vista is an example of this, it worked perfectly well on a good specced machine, but oems shipped it on Celeron based machines with 512MB ram, loaded with crapware)
Old 9th Apr 2013, 23:58   #2709
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

I find myself thinking that is indeed true. The bias against Windows 8 and the Surface RT even on BBC's "Click" programme has been astonishing. Indifference is one thing, but I've never seen such fervent hate.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 00:05   #2710
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
I can answer that Nexxo, Microsoft. people love to hate anything Microsoft do. even when the problem itself isn't created by Microsoft, but by the OEMs (Vista is an example of this, it worked perfectly well on a good specced machine, but oems shipped it on Celeron based machines with 512MB ram, loaded with crapware)
Hmmm, I'm more 50/50 on that. I mean fair enough, OEMs shouldn't be putting out underpowered devices. But by the same note, Microsoft shouldn't be putting out such heavy versions of windows. One is as bad as the other in this case.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 00:36   #2711
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Hmmm, I'm more 50/50 on that. I mean fair enough, OEMs shouldn't be putting out underpowered devices. But by the same note, Microsoft shouldn't be putting out such heavy versions of windows. One is as bad as the other in this case.
The problem is that Microsoft had no choice.
Microsoft decided to scrap Windows NT 3 core that Windows XP was still based on, and essentially restart from scratch. If you have this opportunity, you obviously are not going to design a replica of the 1993 architecture design, but instead use the latest technology, and consider the future.

The future was:
-> Multi-Core CPU design. So Vista was specifically optimized and designed form the ground up for multi-core CPU's.
-> 64-bit. So Vista was firstly develop for it and optimized for it
-> High memory, where Vista used RAM first, and when it's filled it uses the page file, instead of using the proactive type of system in XP, where it dump everything it can on your page file, no mater how much free space you have in your RAM.
-> New security system and support for new technologies force Vista to drop support of old technologies.
-> The future is about GPU rendered interface.
-> On on your way, might as well clean up all the folder mess that have grown over the years until XP, and organize things in a nice clean mater. It broke all software where the developers were too lazy to read Microsoft documentation on how to NOT USE hard links, and to use the appropriate API calls. And also, how to not save stuff where the exe is, and to use the proper account file structures, so that each user can have it's own settings, and doesn't open security flaws, where one user can potentially view personal information file from a program that writes stuff on where it is installed.
Despite having all this resources at hands, and even example of the code that is needed to be used, where they simply need to copy and paste in their program... not done... long live laziness, and sucky developers. (We still have the problem today with games. No games are using the Saved Games Folder, or even AppData... they just dump all their crap in your My Document folders.

Anyway, back to topic:

The above meant that you needed:
-> 64-bit true dual core CPU
-> 4GB of RAM 400MHz DDR1 or faster
-> Med-low range dedicated graphic card with 128MB of memory for 1280x1024 resolution, 256MB for higher resolutions.
-> Modern technologies everything
-> Use well coded software.

No 500-700$ computer could provide. But Microsoft had no choice. They spend 6 years of hard work, working on Vista. Imagine if they delayed Vista, and took XP, and made a quick update in a year of work... people would be like "What the heck Microsoft? 6 years and it's still XP with a new theme and a handful of features?".

Another problem that Vista faced, is that the user is so blinded by all the work that goes inside the computer, that they saw Vista as nothing more than XP, with a new skin, with instant search, not understanding the huge feet that was done behind what they see. Nor understand that the user interface is a small portion of an OS.

Anyway, I can't wait for Windows 8.1. I heard Microsoft will change the default background... be prepare of having waves of reviews says how its now confusing and impossible to use.. the background has changed. I wonder what reviewers do when they buy a new car and choose a different color. Maybe that is why we have so many bad drivers on the road... hmm...

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB

Last edited by GoodBytes; 10th Apr 2013 at 00:42.
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 01:37   #2712
theshadow2001
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
The problem is that Microsoft had no choice.
Rubbish. There's always a choice.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 01:50   #2713
Uncle Psychosis
Classically Trained

Uncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for presidentUncle Psychosis should be considered for president
Quote:
I can answer that Nexxo, Microsoft. people love to hate anything Microsoft do.
Then why is the internet full of almost universal praise for Windows 7?

At least one of the reasons uptake of 8 has been slow is because people really like 7 and see few reasons to upgrade.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 01:51   #2714
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Rubbish. There's always a choice.
Ok, provide an alternative?
Note: I am not saying that Microsoft execution of Vista release was well done, and the introduction of Vista Basic certification was a good idea.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 10th Apr 2013, 01:54   #2715
theshadow2001
Mod Master

don't release an os until it can run on a likely range of hardware is one.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 02:16   #2716
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Psychosis View Post
Then why is the internet full of almost universal praise for Windows 7?

At least one of the reasons uptake of 8 has been slow is because people really like 7 and see few reasons to upgrade.
when it first came out, there were people saying it was rubbish and to stick with xp.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 02:22   #2717
GoodBytes

Quote:
don't release an os until it can run on a likely range of hardware is one.
No. Because, without the Vista push.. Intel would never update their sucky GPU. Intel and AMD would have kept their dual core as high-end workstation/gaming system only, like now with Intel 6 core CPUs. And already, if you had a mid-2004 gaming system, everything was locked down.
No native SATA support, no advance power saving features which allowed the OS to control the hardware power features, dual core barely used, 4GB at the bin.. might as well get 1GB or 512MB, speed would be the same, 64-bit CPU locked down to 32-bit. If you didn't have XP SP2 disk, installing XP was nearly impossible if you don't have high knowledge on what to do (for example, when I installed XP I was stuck with 256 colors, GPU drivers could not be installed because the graphic card could not be found, and the motherboard setup could not be installed due to lack of colors. All this, because I had PCI-E.

This is all not to mention that XP has more security holes than a mesh style fence that is 1 inch high, and a firewall that detected and informed you about programs using the internet AFTER it has accessed several times the internet before. And could add itself to the white list. And only block outbound connection. Making the firewall useless.

When I had my AMD Athlon X2 4400+ Socket 939. It was marginally faster than the Athlon XP 2500+ which I had before. When I put Vista beta on both systems. The Athlon XP could not handle it.. the Athlon 64 X2 flew like a rocket, and I crap in my pants.

Old 10th Apr 2013, 02:25   #2718
GoodBytes

Quote:
when it first came out, there were people saying it was rubbish and to stick with xp.
Yes. People said that the the Start Menu sucked, despite being identical to Vista, and XP.
And that Microsoft has not innovative and replicated the MacOS task bar. I still don't see any resemblance, nor even close to how it works.

Old 10th Apr 2013, 02:50   #2719
theshadow2001
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
No. Because, without the Vista push.. Intel would never update their sucky GPU. Intel and AMD would have kept their dual core as high-end workstation/gaming system only, like now with Intel 6 core CPUs. And already, if you had a mid-2004 gaming system, everything was locked down.
No native SATA support, no advance power saving features which allowed the OS to control the hardware power features, dual core barely used, 4GB at the bin.. might as well get 1GB or 512MB, speed would be the same, 64-bit CPU locked down to 32-bit. If you didn't have XP SP2 disk, installing XP was nearly impossible if you don't have high knowledge on what to do (for example, when I installed XP I was stuck with 256 colors, GPU drivers could not be installed because the graphic card could not be found, and the motherboard setup could not be installed due to lack of colors. All this, because I had PCI-E.

This is all not to mention that XP has more security holes than a mesh style fence that is 1 inch high, and a firewall that detected and informed you about programs using the internet AFTER it has accessed several times the internet before. And could add itself to the white list. And only block outbound connection. Making the firewall useless.

When I had my AMD Athlon X2 4400+ Socket 939. It was marginally faster than the Athlon XP 2500+ which I had before. When I put Vista beta on both systems. The Athlon XP could not handle it.. the Athlon 64 X2 flew like a rocket, and I crap in my pants.
Are you saying its impossible to improve a system without cranking up the hardware. What is your point exactly. Youre just listing tech improvements.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 03:09   #2720
GoodBytes

Quote:
Are you saying its impossible to improve a system without cranking up the hardware. What is your point exactly. Youre just listing tech improvements.
Sorry for not being clear. my point is that:
If Microsoft does what you said. Meaning hold Vista until hardware becomes better, then that won't happen.. at least not fast, as there is no push.

If Microsoft holds Vista, and release another OS where it's just XP updated, just to release something while waiting until hardware for low cost computers becomes better, as it could take a long time, then it would still have trouble supporting new technologies. The problem is that Microsoft pushed already to the extreme its NT 3 core.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview