bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 56 42.11%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 31 23.31%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 46 34.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th Feb 2012, 21:19   #81
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
Well got Windows 8 installed and am using it. Metro IE feels a bit strange, all fullscreen with no toolbars or buttons.
Ignore what I said.. it changed on this version. Right-click and the buttons will show.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2012, 21:25   #82
spolsh
Multimodder

spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.
nooo ... downloads been sat with 1 hour to go for over an hour ... damn virgin medias throttling !

haven't done dual boot since xp/vista ... bet i end up loading the wrong OS for ages missing the screen at system start.
spolsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2012, 21:34   #83
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
i've downloaded it, but havent had chance to play with it yet, been at lincolnshires superfast broadband update conference.

mine took about 1.5 hours to download
Old 29th Feb 2012, 21:46   #84
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can't imagine I'll buy this based on what I've heard of it so far. Am downloading the beta now though so will test it out tomorrow.
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2012, 21:53   #85
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanperry View Post
Can't imagine I'll buy this based on what I've heard of it so far. Am downloading the beta now though so will test it out tomorrow.
What have you heard so far? I find it 1000x better than the Developer preview.
It still has some improvements to do, but that's a bit expected for a beta version.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 29th Feb 2012, 21:59   #86
GoodBytes

What REALLY sucks, is that all the services.. video, music, XBox will not work if your region isn't U.S

Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:12   #87
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

The inconsistency\shock\fracture between the two UIs is still there. Its awful.
Might be a nice OS for portable devices and to play with but for the workplace it will be step back once Metro takes over.
Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:24   #88
GoodBytes

Cool discovery:
On the desktop, move the mouse to bottom left corner, and right-click. Check out the menu!

Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:26   #89
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!

The inconsistency\shock\fracture between the two UIs is still there. Its awful.
Might be a nice OS for portable devices and to play with but for the workplace it will be step back once Metro takes over.
You'll get used to it. Give it a few days.
Give it a month a two to get used to the lack of Start menu. But it's fine, I got used to it.

Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:30   #90
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
What have you heard so far? I find it 1000x better than the Developer preview.
It still has some improvements to do, but that's a bit expected for a beta version.
Should have clarified that comment Mainly that Windows 7 does everything which I need it to, and I can't see anything from W8 which would warrant me upgrading to it. I'll be checking it out with interest though.

Only 1 hour to go on crappy Virgin Media download speeds..
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:37   #91
GoodBytes

And I am sure XP was the same, Windows 2000, and Win95.
Run exe's, surf the web, plus music and videos, games run fine.

Like for all Windows's.. all this is the same story... including the interface difference hate.
When you doing such jump, it's a mentality change one needs to do:
1- You must understand that this is beta
2- Use it SERIOUSLY as a main OS for at least 2 months, THEN you can comment.
3- Never go "I don't like this", and the stubborn on it. Rather, open yourself up, and have fun with it. THEN see, and compare once you really used it, and know it well.

Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:39   #92
Zener Diode
User Title

Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Zener Diode - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
If you change the default browser Metro IE seems to disappear, defaulting back to desktop mode
Zener Diode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:42   #93
tristanperry
Hypermodder

Quote:
And I am sure XP was the same, Windows 2000, and Win95.
Run exe's, surf the web, plus music and videos, games run fine.

Like for all Windows's.. all this is the same story... including the interface difference hate.
When you doing such jump, it's a mentality change one needs to do:
1- You must understand that this is beta
2- Use it SERIOUSLY as a main OS for at least 2 months, THEN you can comment.
3- Never go "I don't like this", and the stubborn on it. Rather, open yourself up, and have fun with it. THEN see, and compare once you really used it, and know it well.
True, true. The screenies posted on page 4 (IIRC) have got me intrigued though; I certainly will be going into it with an open mind.
Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:46   #94
GoodBytes

aha! Nice find! Yea, it's very strange.

Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:50   #95
GoodBytes

Make sure that Win8 is updated guys. I saw several updates already.

Old 29th Feb 2012, 22:59   #96
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
There is no known date at the moment. Usually it's several month AFTER the Release Candidate. and RC expires about 6month after the official release (based on Vista and Win7 experience). You cannot upgrade Win8 Beta to RC. Nor RC to release. It's always a clean install.
Thanks man, also to get that black panel up on the right of the screen take your mouse to the top right then drop it quickly.

Last edited by Evolutionsic; 29th Feb 2012 at 23:08.
Evolutionsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 01:09   #97
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
What REALLY sucks, is that all the services.. video, music, XBox will not work if your region isn't U.S
ahh so I wasn't imagining it then when I couldn't get any of them to work either
Old 1st Mar 2012, 01:33   #98
GoodBytes

Anyway I don't think you are missing much.
I have a Zune subscription, and I can't see any way to register on the Music app to get it unlimited music streaming/download in there. I ended up installing the Zune software and using that. Hopefully all the services will be globally lunched, as Microsoft plans to remove Zune.

Old 1st Mar 2012, 01:34   #99
GoodBytes

Another thing that bugs me, is that they are options that are available ONLY on the metro Control Panel, even for accounts. It's like split in too.. very confusing.

Old 1st Mar 2012, 01:39   #100
GoodBytes

Cool feature discovery:
On wireless, if you right-click on your connected network on list where you pick which wireless network to connect to, you will see a menu pop-up, you can display an estimated amount how much you are downloading/uploading, and rest the values. Pretty cool stuff.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview