bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 58 41.73%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.46%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 47 33.81%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st Mar 2012, 02:55   #101
Gaming_freak_10
Hypermodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
that's awesome, GB! So can someone put a full list of awesome feature discoveries so we can try them out ourselves if that's not a problem??
Old 1st Mar 2012, 03:22   #102
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
By "someone" you really mean me, right?
Well i think I'll be continuing posting here.

Oh! Windows Experience Index, max score has been increase to 9.9!
My laptop GPU score (the lowest one) passed from 3.5 (up from 3.1 from Vista) with Win7, is now 2.7. I don't know if it's a GPU driver optimization problem, or that the the scoring system got more strict.

Another cool thing. Do Win+Tab. Flip 3D has been replaced with a side view Alt+Tab thing. But it shows only Metro Apps, and the desktop (if open). Alt+Tab shows the application in desktop. While it might sound confusing.. I think it's smart, it simplifies when you want to switch between Metro application, and aren't submerged with a full desktop of running programs.

Win+I show the property side bar
Win+X shows that corner shortcut to stuff menu.
Win+C shows the Chime bar
Win+B focuses the task bar, and select the Up arrow of the notification bar
Win+, opens a mysterious program, and all window/prog on the desktop turn transparent.
Win+. Makes the focused metro app, or desktop move to the right of the screen, do it again and it slides to the left, and then back to full screen.

Windows has it's own volume on screen indicator, if you didn't know already.

Annoying thing:
Is that they seams to have remove "manage network connection", so now you can't prioritize connection or modify the configuration of one.. this made configuring the wireless for university a pain. Hopefully it will come back.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 03:28   #103
Gaming_freak_10
Hypermodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
snip
No, I mean is there a full list of everything that everyone has discovered? like what you just said in the last few posts in this thread...

so if someone manage to build a list that is printable.. everyone can try these stuff out and such.. like.. Ooooo that's awesome! I didn't know that exists in this! Or this exist! You know what I mean, right GB?
Old 1st Mar 2012, 04:52   #104
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I do.
I can give it a try... but don't expect that list tomorrow, more like a week or so.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 1st Mar 2012, 05:12   #105
GoodBytes

Fun detail... you know when you move to the bottom left corner you have the icon to show you the start screen.. well that icon layout on the picture, matches what you have on the actual start screen. Pretty cool attention to detail there. Clearly the person that coded that feature had a lot of fun, to think about this. I am sure anyone else would just put a standard per-generated icon.

Old 1st Mar 2012, 05:16   #106
GoodBytes

Link to Windows 8 Server edition:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e...d=TEC_108_1_33

Old 1st Mar 2012, 07:26   #107
GoodBytes

Nvidia just released Win8 32/64-bit mobile and desktop ready drivers.

Old 1st Mar 2012, 08:23   #108
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:

Thanks <3

http://stats.bish.pro/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 08:23   #109
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Nvidia just released Win8 32/64-bit mobile and desktop ready drivers.
Went too boot up this morning, just had a blue screen with options "ease of access" and ",reboot,shutdown" was a little worried then a restart fixed that and installed the new registry updates.
Old 1st Mar 2012, 08:31   #110
GoodBytes

There is no blue screen to my knowledge in Win8, it's black screen of dead (BSOD). No?
Also, I really don't understand your post. :/

Old 1st Mar 2012, 08:55   #111
Evolutionsic

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
There is no blue screen to my knowledge in Win8, it's black screen of dead (BSOD). No?
Also, I really don't understand your post. :/
Was the lock screen without the login panel basically

and i believe the BSOD is now like this
Old 1st Mar 2012, 10:28   #112
tyepye
Hypermodder

tyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Installed it on my netbook last night, but due to the screen size being 1024x600 it can't open the app store and says it might not be able to open other apps.

Does anyone know of a workaround for netbooks to trick it into thinking the screen resolution is bigger. Also does anyone know why some metro apps are limited by screen resolution?
Old 1st Mar 2012, 10:55   #113
short1uk
Multimodder

short1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysis
29 minutes renaming! Damn it!!!

Sooooo slow!

Anyone installed it on VMware player yet?
Old 1st Mar 2012, 11:02   #114
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
I am thinking of trying this out on a spare HD on my main desktop (I don't want to mess around with my anal file system on my SSD's).

My main query though is how does it (Metro Interface more than anything) work with multi monitors / Eyefinity - specifically ones running in Portrait mode?

Running multi monitors is an absolute must for me so this is critically important.

I can always test it out as ultimately if it doesn't work properly I can just re-boot into Win7 but it would be nice to hear thoughts from anyone who has tried already.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 11:17   #115
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyepye View Post
Installed it on my netbook last night, but due to the screen size being 1024x600 it can't open the app store and says it might not be able to open other apps.

Does anyone know of a workaround for netbooks to trick it into thinking the screen resolution is bigger. Also does anyone know why some metro apps are limited by screen resolution?
this worked for me. only problem is now normal text in desktop mode are harder to read. but being a cheap netbook, its TN screen is hideous and hard to read anyway.
http://www.netbooklive.com/how-to-ge...-netbook-2772/

i installed it on VMware first, was terrible to use in windowed mode due to hot corners doesn't work. made it into full screen mode and experience became much better. loving the ultra fast transitions.

but the metro start menu doesn't belong to desktop. plain and simple. neither does the wi-fi network selector, the right pop-up menu. instead of moving no more than 300 pixels to get through start menu, i now have a 2560x1440 with massive icons that doesn't belong to the desktop and mouse.

then, i installed onto my netbook with my Live accoount, and applied above hack to get metro apps working. Metro and its apps makes a bit more sense on a netbook screen. but it is still really stupid and unintuitive to use due to ill defined right button. (sometimes it brings up bottom bar, or use it to select stuff, other times it doesn't do anything at all)

be careful, it will auto signed into Messenger if you setup with your Live account, which is really intrusive.

overall, i will be skipping Win8 for my desktop, and sticking to iOS for tablets. (win8 on ARM isn't compatible with anything, x86 have crap battery life) Metro was a mistake for desktops as start menu, it doesn't fit use of mouse at all and hard to use.
Old 1st Mar 2012, 11:31   #116
jakobfrimmel
Supermodder

jakobfrimmel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what would be the safest option to install this?? as in what configuration wouldnt put the rest of my data at risk??
Motherboard: Gigabyte 890xA-ud3
RAM: 4gb ddr3 1600 OCZ @1600
jakobfrimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 11:38   #117
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobfrimmel View Post
what would be the safest option to install this?? as in what configuration wouldnt put the rest of my data at risk??
The safest option would be booting it (just like you would Win7) onto a completely seperate HD.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2012, 11:50   #118
Evolutionsic

This is so much better then the dev Preview....

Going to install windows 8 server on my other system now
Old 1st Mar 2012, 11:58   #119
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Installed as primary system last night. Sure is going to take some getting used to - will stick it out though.

Aside from that, the one MAJOR problem is that the existing Intel chipset drivers don't work, which means no IRST, NCQ etc, which leaves me worried about my current system performance...

Evo, let me know how the server is, I'm guessing there's no metro UI there; just lots of useful enhancements!
Old 1st Mar 2012, 12:08   #120
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Does origin work on Win8?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview