bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 10th Mar 2012, 15:58   #1
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
"The BOOK" by Paladin - FINAL PICS

Hello my name is Patrick and I come from Germany (Bavaria) and do case modding since 2006.
I attended the german casemod championship and won several awards.
You can see all my other projects at www.complex-mods.de

I choose bit-tech, because it is on of the biggest communities.

Unfortunately I can not speak English, so I translated everything with google, so do not be surprised if something sounds funny.
If what I understand is to excuse me please. Please ask for if anything is unclear, then leave it to me by a friend to translate again.

"The Book"

My second Casecon is born from the passion for collecting my girlfriend because she has a lot of books and I still needed a Christmas present.

In the end I decided then I for 16 "pages" and 2 cover. It should be possible to open and electrically, so I then use a cordless screwdriver engine and a threaded rod crafted a mechanism of the two outer "cover" to press.

Connects to a plastic strip that all these pages are then pulled apart like an accordion.

In the base, I began a 4-port USB embedded into the 2 cm full aluminum, and up into the top a connection panel with 2 USB, 1 FireWire, front audio and microphone.

The technical data:
dimensions:

Height: 53 cm
Width: 18 cm
Depth: 45 cm
weight:

approximately 26 kg

materials:

the L-form: aluminum 2 cm thick
Pages: 1 cm Plexiglas (16 pieces)
Cover: Plexiglas 1 cm covered with imitation leather
Back: Plexiglas 1 cm in the oven and bent with
Covered in faux leather

Mechanics and light:
Receiver: Twoitek two-channel receiver, 2 piece
Engine: from an Accu Wrench + 2 end switch
Light: 3 pieces CCFLs

hardware:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
Video Card: Asus EN9999 (Nvidia 6800)
RAMDISK: 1GB Twister
HDD: Seagate 320 GB
Drive: Samsung DVD-RW
Fan: Gigabyte G-Power
Network: Dlink DGE528t 1Gbit
USB 4 Port USB Hub

Hardware and Planning

First, I've dedicated my time to the hardware and bought a barebone

and culled a few parts lying around that with me ever so.

Now that I had the dimensions of the hardware I could get to the planning.

First I made ​​a plan to me once

I built a model to see if it goes

the planning of the drive first saw the front of a servo to open the book will be used

because of the proved to be too weak then became a
Cordless motor on a threaded rod used an aluminum block
moving the two rods are fastened to the exterior, the two sides move

here I have time then a test set up with the servo

and a test of the first idea to open the book to

"The BOOK" Servo Test VIDEO

The next update is coming soon. I have to chase it even through google
www.Complex-Mods.de
-- Casemods | Scratch builds | CE-Mods --

Last edited by Paladin | Patrick; 22nd Apr 2012 at 18:55.
Paladin | Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2012, 16:11   #2
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Aluminum angle (back and foot)

Now it was time for the construction, the first thing I've been looking after the aluminum bracket, which is the core of the book, so to speak, because he is keeping all the sides and back.

the result after 3 holes for the screws

Milling of the pages

First time I've made ​​a page a prototype to test whether it will match, since the plexiglass is not cheap

then it went to the rout of the "pages", to me, then I have tinkered a template

on 3 sides turned out to that if I make so forth, I need a lot of cutters.

So I had to think what to think of, first, I've used instead of carbide end mills a HSS cutter because I guess have the ask incorporated by the cut of the cutter on the end where they are weak because they are always right at the bottom of the cutting broken.
The HSS cutter I still have air-cooled

and besides, there was also the Homemade snow production, that the coming winter.

so that now are 16 pages with embedded hardware

I tricked the hardware I have found seemed too bulky and would forward the CD canvas to little else looked out, sodas man would be very hard to do a CD insert.

oh yeah, the snow production continues

and the next update is ready
www.Complex-Mods.de

Last edited by Paladin | Patrick; 15th Mar 2012 at 19:48.
Old 10th Mar 2012, 21:55   #3
der_george
Multimodder

der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.der_george is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Looking good. Like the thick aluminium and acrylic. Very manly indeed.

:0)
der_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2012, 11:53   #4
ringo
Supermodder

ringo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I saw this mod several times, and it is really good.
ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2012, 15:07   #5
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Grinding of the sides

Then it was time to grind the sides, so I gave myself a Excentersleifer snapped and started with a 80 grit and then worked my way up to 220

Holder for the pages

Sun made ​​to holders here we go for the "pages" that I made ​​an aluminum bracket and drilled holes clean.

the two middle pages are higher here because after the opening mechanism will find a space, then there is also the ground on

www.Complex-Mods.de

Last edited by Paladin | Patrick; 15th Mar 2012 at 19:48.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 19:30   #6
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Setback and miscellaneous ...

Well then I had to make before the cut for the drive, because my mood has suddenly turned abruptly into the negative.

When I wanted to do with the scroll saw to cut it's become too warm and has then tricky.

Well then that was the result.

after I've digested the setback it went to the floor and the box for the drive and the hard disk.

Here you see one of the screws holding the bottom

and then the box that I have from 2 pieces 1 cm plates and top plate made ​​of a 2 mm

the front of the box still comes out a cover that one no longer sees the drive.

I wanted to make in the box on a window in, you can see that a hard drive with windows, but I did but then dropped again.

so that's it again
www.Complex-Mods.de
Old 15th Mar 2012, 09:43   #7
Nealieboyee
Packaging Master!

Nealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for presidentNealieboyee should be considered for president
This is good work Patrick. A nice idea! Well done and welcome to BT.

German (translated online)
Dies ist eine gute arbeit Patrick. Eine schöne Idee! Gut gemacht und willkommen in BT.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 18:18   #8
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

I thank you. I hope my English will get better soon

And the next update...

The back baking

So now I've had time and again bake a little plexiglass.
recipe:
You need: 2 plexiglass plates
1 form (which you must build your own)
1 heater (to which the girlfriend is afraid)
2 clamps
A pair of gloves that you really burns the fingers
nerves and a good pack and patience.

then you lay the plexiglass on the shape and nuisance throughout the approximately 15 min at about 160 ° C in the oven and watch as it turns slow.
Then you take it out and pushes the whole thing with 2 clamps on the form.

first tried it with a gas lamp, but that failed easily ...

pressed briefly once ... with my fist :-)

I thought a long while with what I'm doing the best. Then I'm on my band saw had known. It cools the cut with oil, which is ideal because nothing stuck.

then I could clean it then gluing

Then I've got everything sanded clean

And the two sides today I also Cut and polished, which is better than on the surface of the adhesive.

so that's it again...
www.Complex-Mods.de
Old 15th Mar 2012, 19:40   #9
Bladesingerz
Supermodder

Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bladesingerz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Lol thats a nice idea, to use a heater to bend it
Nice work so far!
Bladesingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2012, 19:43   #10
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Thanks
ähhh i mean one baking oven

EDIT: or do you think the picture with the gas jet?
www.Complex-Mods.de
Old 15th Mar 2012, 21:33   #11
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Neat idea. I LOVE layers of plexiglas.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2012, 18:29   #12
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Power and back mount

Here are some pictures and a video of his failure with the servo.

http://youtu.be/yCBMVfF-27E

for the back I bought my 4 hinges, one half is the case, the other on the back so I can hang it easy.

Back pannel and soil

Then came a job that I will long be remembered for, aluminum 2cm cut with a jigsaw

That is the bottom plate from below, with the millings for cable and USB hub.

www.Complex-Mods.de
Old 31st Mar 2012, 18:56   #13
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Holy maolyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy this is spectacular!!!!!!!!!! Well done man this is more than awesome!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2012, 19:47   #14
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
I couldn't resist.
Heck of a nice plate. I don't think the actuator was a failure either. -It just needs some tweaking to be perfect.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 17:05   #15
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
What is it with people and milling on this forum? LOL

Nice job so far

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 15:22   #16
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for president
Very nice idea I shall follow this (und ohne google kann ich auch sagen, dass dies super durchgeführt ist! ) +rep
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 16:21   #17
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
I couldn't resist.
Heck of a nice plate. I don't think the actuator was a failure either. -It just needs some tweaking to be perfect.
the servo was too weak

@Sarakon

Danke

then will come to the next update

Miscellaneous

this is the right side of motherboard support that I have with spacing of 2 cm to the side cover installed to route the cables behind it then

so then even a sample of the leather and the signature page of the Left.

and then the final cut, "The BOOK"
This is a PVC floor covering

I have all the parts painted silver

and here the new concept of the operator are the doors, the only problem I have is that the axis of the motor is slightly unbalanced and thereby outflank the door slightly to the beat (be careful not to takes off)
I'd spell book to write on.

this is the engine that I have expanded from a small cordless screwdriver

Here then built with threaded rod. The slot I have made by a friend with ner CNC milling machine

these are the two limit switches, it switches off automatically when it is open or closed

and yet the board with USB, FireWire, and audio connections

thanks for reading (which always comes out with the translation here )
www.Complex-Mods.de
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 16:24   #18
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great stuff so far
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 21:15   #19
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Lighting and wiring

on the left side cover, I have set for the illumination of the case 2 cold light cathodes.

I then started with the wiring, though I've found that I was not behind the motherboard plate may arrive well, so I have a few holes made ​​clean.

Transport box

I've even built a transport to safely transport box made ​​of plywood

In the interior I still geplolsterte brackets installed so that the book is fixed.
In addition, the box is so big that even a monitor and accessories to find space.

In the next update come the final pics
www.Complex-Mods.de
Old 5th Apr 2012, 21:40   #20
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Wooooo, now that's a chunky rig, all those layers would cost a good bit though.

Awesome
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode