bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 15th Mar 2012, 21:11   #1
thechoozen
Hypermodder

thechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysis
ATCS 840 - Heart of Columbia [update:241112 - Keyboard finished]

Time to start a new worklog

This time we will take a Coolermaster ATCS 840 as Base for our Mod. Better to say....we have taken it as base...because we already started this mod a while ago....

What we plan for this mod, is simple to explain....first we will take the whole case apart and shrink it to a m-atx size (like our 490T, but a bit bigger ). After that shrinking process, we´re heading for a steampunk/bioshock infinite inspired theme...but that will take some time until we reach that point....

But before we start, we wanted to send a big Thank you to Coolermaster for their help with the case!!

Ok, let´s start....

Like already mentioned....we started with the shrinking process....so we started with the disassembling ....

After that, we directly started to cut the first parts into pieces....

after cutting the frame parts down to the right size, we had to file them a bit, so that the Top of the case can be placed over them again...

Last edited by thechoozen; 24th Nov 2012 at 06:31.
thechoozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 17:44   #2
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
nice start
www.Complex-Mods.de
-- Casemods | Scratch builds | CE-Mods --
Paladin | Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 18:59   #3
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
will be good to see what happens to this case, looks good already!
Old 19th Mar 2012, 19:50   #4
thechoozen
Hypermodder

thechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysis
thx m8´s!!!

time to continue

As next we took the Front of the case...because it also had to be shortened....

before....

after....

then we put everything together...just to see how it will look like...

after that we disassembled everything so that we could add a bit of paint to the inside of the case....

And then we put all parts back together so that we have a nice clean base for the next steps

Beside that we also started to work on the first details...which we´re going to integrate into our mod. First we took an old mini hurdy-gurdy (i hope thats right - google translation....) and a servo which we had in our workshop and combined them...

i think we will acitvate it, everytime one of the sidepanels will be opened/closed....

and here´s also a short video of the mini hurdy gurdy in action (the buzzing sound from the servo will later be reduced by a damping box)

Old 19th Mar 2012, 20:35   #5
flame696
Terminating People Since 1980....

flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.
I love the way it looks now a mini 840 looks brilliant cant wait to see more
Old 19th Mar 2012, 21:07   #6
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have considered doing something similar and have been looking at tons of old cases for the right one. I want to cut down the height and remove the drive bays.

Good work!

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2012, 21:12   #7
Raikkok
Multimodder

Raikkok has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have that music thing too. since i was a baby

MOTM January 2012 Winner
Raikkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 20:51   #8
thechoozen
Hypermodder

thx m8´s!!!

Quote:
I have that music thing too. since i was a baby
yeah, when we were kids we also had something like that...but today they have become rare...(we didn´t see one of them for years...until we found it in a local shop for creative materials)

Today we´ve got another update for you

this time a mini mini how to...

let´s call it: How to bake your anodized Computer

The one or other might know this technique, but i think the most of you won´t know...so you might ask yourself....why should i bake my Computer Case ??

And the answer is pretty simple...you can change the color of your anodized Case....without painting it!

Ok, it´s not that simple, because you won´t get every color you might want. But within a few restrictions you could get really nice results.

The first thing you have to pay attention to is the color. From a Black anodized part you won´t get a blue part with this technique.

Black normally turns to brown....and within the process from black to brown the color fades through different colors (in this example.....it was first black...then red...then purple and finally a nice red brown/copper look)

Here are a few combinations of colors....

Black - red / brown
Red - orange/pink
Blue - brighter blue/turquoise
Green - dark olive (just hear that, but didn´t see it up to now)
Silver - becomes just a bit brigther
Gold - same like silver
(But we can not guarantee that the results may differ)

The next thing you have to pay attention is that every part you put in the oven...should be absolute clean. No dust, no scratches, no fluids, oils etc. Because every bit of dirt would change the final result. (or you could use oil for example to gain some unique patterns)

Oh and not to forget....all plastic parts had to be removed...because they would just melt during the baking process....

But then you could just put the parts into the oven....

after 1-2 h with maximum temp. (200-300°... depending on the thickness of the material) you should have reached the final color so that more time wouldn´t cause any more changes to the color....

Naturally you could also stop the process earlier if you want...you just have to turn of the oven...and wait until the parts cool down...and then you´re done....
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 12:52   #9
petsli
What's a Dremel?

petsli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow! thats really awesome!
petsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 17:07   #10
AK71
Multimodder

AK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for presidentAK71 should be considered for president
That's awesome the way baking it changes the colour of the anodising! I wonder who first thought 'I wonder what would happen if I put this in the oven?'
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 21:22   #11
Paladin | Patrick
LiveModder

Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Paladin | Patrick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
very nice and simple
www.Complex-Mods.de
-- Casemods | Scratch builds | CE-Mods --
Paladin | Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 21:24   #12
Raikkok
Multimodder

Raikkok has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It´s something magical

MOTM January 2012 Winner
Raikkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2012, 07:25   #13
thechoozen
Hypermodder

thx m8´s!!!

in the last days we continued the work on the case....
first we take on of the sidepanels and made a 60 mm hole in it, behind that hole we will later place a small thermometer which will be connected to the watercooling loop....

After that we cutted the sidepanels into 2 pieces so that we can open the front and backside of the case individually....

and then it was time for the oven again

beside that we already cutted out all the needed parts to build an iris which will cover the thermometer...

Old 29th Mar 2012, 09:01   #14
Fuganater
Supermodder

Fuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run Crysis
Great start + sub
Old 29th Mar 2012, 10:16   #15
jokkos
too busy to mod *sigh*

jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
ooh I like the iris!

Also thanks for the explanation and pics of the anodizing vs the oven. Very interesting, that. I really like the resulting color.
Old 29th Mar 2012, 14:43   #16
Roboduck
01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Roboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run CrysisRoboduck can run Crysis
Sweeeeeet... Love the iris
Roboduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2012, 14:50   #17
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The Win is strong with this one...

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2012, 19:14   #18
thechoozen
Hypermodder

thanks m8´s!!!

After starting the painting process of the iris parts....we directly continued with the last parts (of the iris) which had to be painted...

beside that we already mounted the first parts on the sidepanel...

then we cut out the next parts, which were needed to integrate a small servo. The servo will be used to open and close the iris....

Old 1st Apr 2012, 20:19   #19
microsoftPerson
Hypermodder

microsoftPerson has yet to learn the way of the DremelmicrosoftPerson has yet to learn the way of the DremelmicrosoftPerson has yet to learn the way of the DremelmicrosoftPerson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
seriously cool little tiny door = subscribed. I just animated a door that opens just like that for my demo reel, and it's one of the first things I animated when I learned flash as a kid. it's awesome seeing a real one in action. the music box is cool too.
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1/2 TB + 2TB + Fractal Design Define R3 [black pearl]
microsoftPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:53   #20
nagyizom
Supermodder

nagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome!

Previous mods: |Sandcrawler Mod| |Illuminated Mind| |Graphite5|

Follow me on Facebook
nagyizom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babetech.de, bioshock infinite, bt-custompc.de, coolermaster atcs 840, heart of columbia

View Mode