bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Mar 2012, 12:41   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Beamdog announces Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Beamdog has confirmed that it's working on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...announcement/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 12:46   #2
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, I already own several copies of this, and it looks like soon I'll have one more. Can't wait!
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 13:04   #3
Whirly
Supermodder

Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.Whirly is definitely a rep cheat.
Oooh, the first game announcement this year that has truly excited me.
Whirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 13:21   #4
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
Loved the series I remember spending alot of time trying to do my own voice acting for the custom characters you could import. Drove my dad nuts me repeating the same lines over and over again. Think I still have some of the WAV files somewhere!
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 13:44   #5
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
I would rather pay money for a remake of this than most games released in the past three years!

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 13:46   #6
DLDeadbolt
Space Cadet

DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.
DLDeadbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 14:26   #7
CrazyBlade
Multimodder

CrazyBlade has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
Oooh, the first game announcement this year that has truly excited me.
I'll second that one. Cannot wait.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 14:35   #8
Spectrator
What's a Dremel?

Spectrator has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds like perfect time to purchase this legend at last and go through it for the first time!! (o^-^o)
Spectrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 14:55   #9
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll think I'll get me some Baldur's Gate time again!!

I agree with the above sentiments, best gaming news in a long time - only beaten by the gameplay video of the X-Com remake.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 16:34   #10
AstralWanderer
Banned

AstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Higher definition content? You've got that courtesy of the Widescreen Mod (which works with BG2, Icewind Dale and Planescape).

New content? There's been a modding scene producing that for over a decade with the likes of The Darkest Day, Shadows over Soubar, Tortured Souls and Check the Bodies mods. You also have BGT Weidu (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) which imports Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast into the BG2 engine, allowing you to play a single epic game from the Candlekeep Inn to Bhaal's Throne. And you can combine them all (with dozens of other mods, expanding BG to over 30GB in size) via the BiG World installer (see the Spellhold Mega Mod Help forum and How to install BWP for newbies (and up) for more details - it's a work in progress so not yet easy to use).

Internal game engine limits are being tackled by projects like TobEx (several features including increasing the number of kits selectable on character creation and the number of spells accessible in the spellbook) and Infinity Animations (increasing the number of creature graphics). And then there's the open-source GemRB which may even be able to increase the existing 6-character limit (handy, given the vast range of joinable NPCs available from various mods).

It's hard to see any "enhanced" version maintaining compatibility with the great swathe of mods and fixes out there - or being able to match the work done by hundreds of modders over the last decade. If a console release is planned, then it seems likely that the game engine would have to be dumbed down considerably to cope with joypad-only controls (e.g. always-on AI, smaller party size with weaker opponents to compensate, smaller spell selection, etc).

BG/BG2 was (and still is, with the appropriate mods) an awesome gameplay experience and one that deserves a refresh (maybe Beamdog could fix the craptastic pathfinding algorithm that dogged so many of Bioware's games?) but it's difficult not to see the potential downsides also.
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 16:55   #11
yesitsme
What's a Dremel?

yesitsme has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=AstralWanderer]Pessimist!

I think it is great news. Although there are many good mods out there that improve the first two games, I think that members of the original development team will do a much better job and I canít wait! This may even pave the way for a BG3, exciting times.
yesitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 17:33   #12
DLDeadbolt
Space Cadet

DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralWanderer View Post
*snip*
I.. buh... wah.. *brain sizzles*

MUST BUY AND MOD!
DLDeadbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 19:25   #13
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hmm, not sure about this. Never played BG, but I played BG2 and enjoyed it. Updating an engine and releasing new content seems a bit pointless. As someone already said, there's loads of content out there already, and it'd have to be a pretty big update to the engine to make it seem worthwhile.

I suppose it all depends how good the game will look. Imo, the game could be released again with a new graphics engine and would sell really well.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 19:33   #14
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
no no no no no no no!
LoL... You all miss the point! Its Baldurs Gate!

Cities always teem with evil and decay... Let's give it a good shake and seeee what faaalls out!

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 20:11   #15
GW42
Minimodder

GW42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlade View Post
I'll second that one. Cannot wait.
3rd'd!

I came to the party late (i think my first play through was about 2004-05 ish) but easily one of the, if not the best gaming experiences I've had. I particularly enjoyed going back to it a couple of years and playing BGT all the way from candlekeep through to the end, in nice big widescreen.
GW42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 21:28   #16
CowBlazed
Supermodder

CowBlazed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Baulder's Gate mobile on tablets and phones would be interesting.
CowBlazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2012, 21:41   #17
AstralWanderer
Banned

AstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowBlazed View Post
Baulder's Gate mobile on tablets and phones would be interesting.
You mean like:

ArsTechnica: How I rode a Samsung tablet PC to retro role-playing nirvana
YouTube: GemRB Baldur's Gate 2 on on Nokia N810
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2012, 00:05   #18
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Baldur's Gate 2 is still my favourite game of all time, so I'll be looking forward to this.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2012, 02:19   #19
caruga
What's a Dremel?

caruga has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralWanderer View Post
Higher definition content? You've got that courtesy of the Widescreen Mod (which works with BG2, Icewind Dale and Planescape).

No, it's they're the same low-definition graphics of over 10 yrs ago, scaled to a widescreen display so that it doesn't appear stretched. There is no extra detail; to achieve that would mean redrawing the graphics, either with 3D rendering software or by hand.

Also suggesting the modding community has surpassed the original creation sounds pretty arrogant to me. They're standing on the shoulders of giants.
caruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2012, 02:35   #20
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd buy it.

Imagine if this ended up selling more than Dragon Age 2 That would be the greatest event in gaming, of all time.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote