bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 5th Apr 2012, 22:17   #21
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Waynio: Welcome. It's not going to be too fancy this one, though.

Or... that's not the initial plan. I do realise that plans can change.

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 01:04   #22
Foregasm
Multimodder

Foregasm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Subbed
LOVE the design. Editor22's render is also fantastic.
cant wait to see the final product!
Foregasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 09:34   #23
Nutman

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Thanks

Old 6th Apr 2012, 16:09   #24
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
You go girl!

Can't wait to see this thing going!

Is this your Beep 2012 entrance?
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 17:42   #25
Nutman

Hell, no. By that time I hope to have a real casemod ready.
This is just a test bench.

Old 6th Apr 2012, 17:51   #26
grejh0t
What's a Dremel?

grejh0t has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cool project
grejh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2012, 00:57   #27
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking good start
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2012, 09:28   #28
Nutman

Thanks.

Today, I'm sleeving like a madman. Hopefully, there'll be an update later today.

Old 7th Apr 2012, 16:02   #29
dirky90
Supermodder

dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
what sleeving are you using? recently had amazing resents with paracord!!

Last edited by dirky90; 7th Apr 2012 at 16:09.
dirky90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2012, 16:08   #30
Nutman

dirky90: I have experience with Paracord - see my review video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvKm_TVU9C8 - but for this project I'm going with "classic" MDPC sleeving.

Old 11th Apr 2012, 00:19   #31
KoSoVaR^
Professional Sleever & Modder

KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
looks amazing dude !
cant really whait for more !
KoSoVaR^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 00:36   #32
MrWizard
Supermodder

MrWizard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks Great!
Gigabyte P35-DS3L | Intel E2220 @ 3.0GHz | AC Freezer 7 Pro | eVGA 8800GT 512MB | 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | 1 x Seagate 250GB SATA | 1 x WD Raptor 74GB SATA | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Silverstone Strider 600 Modular | Modded Antec Nine Hundred
MrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 11:02   #33
riekmaharg2
has finished Blue Horizon

riekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice start on your new log , that's really weird why they would build the pump without an rpm wire however you can just solder one straight on, its almost like they want you to solder one on.

Silent Fiberglass PC

Completed * Blue Horizon * - 2012
riekmaharg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 19:33   #34
dirky90
Supermodder

dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dirky90 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
dirky90: I have experience with Paracord - see my review video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvKm_TVU9C8 - but for this project I'm going with "classic" MDPC sleeving.
haha i used your video as a guide!! I did it without heatshrink tho. cheers for the guide mate it really helped, keep up the good work!!
Old 12th Apr 2012, 11:52   #35
Nutman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoSoVaR^ View Post
looks amazing dude !
cant really whait for more !
Thanks. Will try to update more often, but it's kinda hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
Looks Great!
Thanks and welcome to the worklog. Nice to see you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekmaharg2 View Post
Nice start on your new log , that's really weird why they would build the pump without an rpm wire however you can just solder one straight on, its almost like they want you to solder one on.
Hi riekmaharg2, it's an honour to have you on board as well. And yes, it's kind of strange how they would make a pump without a RPM wire, but maybe it was ordered like that by Swiftech? After all, this IS a Laing D5 rebranded by Swiftech as "MCP655", so maybe Swiftech didn't want the RPM wire to begin with? I dunno, it's strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirky90 View Post
haha i used your video as a guide!! I did it without heatshrink tho. cheers for the guide mate it really helped, keep up the good work!!
Glad be have been of service to you.

So, let's see what I have been up to since last update, shall we?

As promised, this update will mostly show you all the hardware that will be installed on The Scrapbench. But that's not all...

.... I will also be showing some modifications (after all, this IS case modding, no?) aaaaaand some sleeving.

Here we go!

Ok, I have tried to cut down costs by recycling as many parts as possible from Project: Nutman, but since that project was scrapped mainly because I wasn't too happy about the performance, I have a few new parts to show you aswell.

But let's begin with an old classic - the CPU block, which is an EK Supreme HF (the old version):

The graphics card is still the HIS Radeon 6870 with EK fullblock and backplate:

The radiators are aaaaaaalmost the same - they're still HW Labs GTS, but I replaced one of the 240 mm. ones with a 360 mm. equivalent (you can't see that in this picture, though...):

Replaced both OCZ Vertex 2 with 2 OCZ Vertex 3:

So, now I'm at SATA 3, SATA 6 GBit/s, SATA-600, or whatever people are calling it - I'm anxious to see the RAID0 numbers from those bad boys...

Now, big change coming up...... I changed the motherboard!

I got myself an almost new ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z. Yup, that's a Sandy Bridge Z-68 mobo and it's mATX. It's supposed to perform really well, so I'm eager to see some numbers once I get the system put together.

Here are some shots:

Now, I got inspired by something that Hannes did in his case mod project Theory | By Hannes, so... see the writing on that capacitor there?

Now, that's nothing a drop of acetone on a cue tip won't fix:

There:

I will do the same to all remaining capacitors found on the motherboard AND the graphics card, because... you see, this project is all about voiding all warranties!

However, I won't be lapping this bad boy:

It's perfect as it is.

Now, what's this?

A package from Caseking?

Let's see what's in it, shall we?

Oh, yeah - that's right. Once again, EK throws up something on a project of mine.

This cute MOSFET block is simply soooo sexy, so let's get some shots of it:

Installed:

I also purchased 16 GB memory for this build. I will not only use it for playing games, but also for editing videos and photos and Google SketchUp, so I wanted a lot of memory in it. Plus, these modules are rather cheap, but very good looking, in my opinion. What do you think?

Voiding yet another warranty:

I will remove all visible stickers for this project - I already removed stickers from the PSU and the motherboard, so the memory stickers had to go aswell.

Here's how the modules look when seated in the RAM slots:

More recycles hardware.... this is the PSU from my old project. It's a Corsair HX620:

I want to single-sleeve all wires coming from inside the PSU, so I had to make some more room for them:

Here I am checking it before I begin sleeving it. Since it had been dormant for quite some time, you never know what state it would be in. I ALWAYS check all my hardware before I start modding it.

Still works. Yay!

So, let's get down to sleeving. I got this package from Nils over at MDPC:

That's plain white, plain black and Color-X. I tell you, the Color-X sleeving matches the colour tone of the connectors on this motherboard to PERFECTION. It's absolutely the very same colour, I swear! I'll show you this later...

Here's the result of sleeving for 3 very long evenings:

Seated in the motherboard, I think you are able to see that Color-X matches the red connectors on this motherboard perfectly:

Oh, but what's this? Another package?

And who's the sender? Hm, "Nathaniel George" doesn't ring a bell?

But how about his?

Ooooh, it's from E22 (also known as Editor22) - and what did he send me?

Let's see....

Custom-cut 360 mm. black acrylic fan grills! They're cut to absolutely perfection, I tell you. However, E22 didn't have time to flame polish the edges for me, so I'll just do that myself.

Let's see some more shots of the grills:

E22 really did great with these. If you'd like to talk to Nate about these grills, or some other products that he makes (or perhaps can make for you?), then head over to his Facebook page and have a look.

That's all for now. Not quite sure what the next update will be all about, so I guess you'll just have to be surprised.

Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:05   #36
dirky90
Supermodder

great sleeving, its looking smart.
Old 12th Apr 2012, 19:30   #37
xSoMBrAx
Supermodder

xSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the DremelxSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
E22 rocks!
Great photos and sleeving looks very good!

Heatshrink is a b**** to get perfect without melting the side etc...

Follow me on Facebook!
xSoMBrAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2012, 20:23   #38
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whoo another "bespoke" E22 product! Well done. Did your package also smell like dental equipment?
------------------------------------------------------
Razer2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2012, 21:37   #39
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Excellent photos dude! I'm just glad they arrived safely! I really do need to get some real boxes made up Can't wait to see how they look on the bench!
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2012, 02:33   #40
Nutman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
Excellent photos dude! I'm just glad they arrived safely! I really do need to get some real boxes made up Can't wait to see how they look on the bench!
Cheers, Nate.

Yeah, some nice E22 boxes could be cool. Make sure to make them better than EK's.
Oh, and make sure to use bubble wrap and not cardboard for keeping parts apart in the boxes. I just checked up against a light source and there ARE very tiny scratch marks, probably from the moving of the rad grills during transportation. Nothing that a quick treatment with Xerapol won't fix, though.

Tags
bench, hotmods.net, nutman, scrapbench, testbench

View Mode