bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Mar 2012, 13:09   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Commodore USA announces the Amiga Mini

Commodore USA has launched the Amiga Mini, which owes more to Apple than its namesake.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2012/03...a-amiga-mini/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 13:25   #2
vampalan
Multimodder

vampalan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mac Mini anyone?
vampalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 13:28   #3
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
That case is quite literally enough to put me off ever buying one...
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 13:56   #4
decosse
What's a Dremel?

decosse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmmm, thought this case looked a little familiar:

http://www.streacom.com/products/f1c-chassis/

So, take someone else's product, whack a vintage name on it and charge a fortune.........wow, ground breaking! >.<

Nothing cheaper or worse in my mind of companies that do this......
decosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 13:58   #5
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
My B2000 is still running fine....

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 14:47   #6
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If there was no connection to the well remembered Amiga of old (and the link is tenuous at best), would we even be interested?

It's just another box...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 15:02   #7
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Why would you use an i7 2700K and 16gB of RAM to run classic Amiga software?

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 15:09   #8
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Non story.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 16:00   #9
decosse
What's a Dremel?

decosse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
If there was no connection to the well remembered Amiga of old (and the link is tenuous at best), would we even be interested?

It's just another box...
Its not just another box, its actually a re-branded case from another company called 'Streacom'

I can't put the link up as thats not allowed, but seriously, google it! All they have done is add a commodore and amiga badge to it o.O
decosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 16:16   #10
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgers
Why would you use an i7 2700K and 16gB of RAM to run classic Amiga software?
i was thinking the same thing. hell 8GB would be a lot. i didn't even know amiga was still a company - i thought the OS was just for enthusiasts. personally i'd rather have a slower i7 and less ram and a more powerful gpu. actually, i wasn't even aware that there was any nvidia support for amiga at all.
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 16:45   #11
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
i didn't even know amiga was still a company - i thought the OS was just for enthusiasts. personally i'd rather have a slower i7 and less ram and a more powerful gpu. actually, i wasn't even aware that there was any nvidia support for amiga at all.
They aren't still a company. Commodore USA have bought a licence to use the name Amiga.

I assume you haven't done a great deal of emulating. Emulators are massively CPU intensive. Faster CPU > Faster GPU in the emulation world.

There isn't any nvidia support for the Amiga. It's running an emulator.

Did you even READ the article?
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 17:09   #12
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
i didn't even know amiga was still a company - i thought the OS was just for enthusiasts. personally i'd rather have a slower i7 and less ram and a more powerful gpu. actually, i wasn't even aware that there was any nvidia support for amiga at all.
They aren't still a company. Commodore USA have bought a licence to use the name Amiga.

I assume you haven't done a great deal of emulating. Emulators are massively CPU intensive. Faster CPU > Faster GPU in the emulation world.

There isn't any nvidia support for the Amiga. It's running an emulator.

Did you even READ the article?
lol actually no, i didn't really read it much. i just skimmed thru it, so i guess i deserved that haha. but as far as i'm aware, amiga isn't a very demanding OS. i have done emulation/virtualization, i've virtualized stuff like vista with stats worse than 1/4 of the Amiga Mini. as long as the emulator and the cpu support virtualization instruction sets and you're generally only doing 1 VM at a time, you don't tend to need a very powerful cpu, especially on an OS like this.
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 17:29   #13
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So, you plan to use VT-x to virtualize Moto 68xxx CPU? Good luck
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 18:15   #14
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I liked the Amiga 1000x design they had before that they never made... I guess it never will be, looked like it would have been a very nice htpc case. This I do not care for. Also why do they price their products so high, then wonder why no one is buying them?
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 18:54   #15
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
does it boot into an emulated amiga dos? If not it's just a PC with Amiga name which is of course pointless.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 19:44   #16
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

Quote:

lol actually no, i didn't really read it much. i just skimmed thru it, so i guess i deserved that haha. but as far as i'm aware, amiga isn't a very demanding OS. i have done emulation/virtualization, i've virtualized stuff like vista with stats worse than 1/4 of the Amiga Mini. as long as the emulator and the cpu support virtualization instruction sets and you're generally only doing 1 VM at a time, you don't tend to need a very powerful cpu, especially on an OS like this.
Virtualising an OS using the same instruction set (e.g. x86) as the host OS is very different to emulating a different instruction set. Very, very different
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 21:25   #17
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
CGI Rendered piece of tat! Look at the design!! The fan holes!!! The badly positioned 'company' name!!!

The GPU spec!!!!

The price!!!!!

The skinned linux OS!!!!!!

Damn I think I just broke my exclamation mark...
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 22:49   #18
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
As a general statement on emulation, this is fine.

For emulation of the Amiga, what a load of BS.
Show me any case where you need a i7-2700K/Z68/16GB RAM/GT430 system to run an Amiga emulator (one where you aren't running dozens of instances simultaneously).

You can run a single instance of an Amiga emulator just fine on an Atom/945/Integrated GPU (in my instance it was an dual-core Atom 330), and I used to run an emulator way back on a Duron 700MHz/KT266/128MB RAM/ and...I want to say TNT2, but I can't be certain now.

Of course, it shouldn't need to be said amongst us enthusiasts, but if you are playing your Amiga games or whatever on an emulator you are just weak. Man up (in a ladylike manner if female) and buy yourself an A500! Preferably with a 1MB RAM upgrade, and an external FDD for fewer floppy swapping.

More problematic might be the Commodore 1084S monitor, so most Commodore monitors from the period are acceptable. Output to a TV through an RF modulator is not, so hand back your Amiga Enthusiast membership card if this is your plan. If you wish to show just how hardcore you are, output via a period multisync monitor is a good way to go (NEC is my brand of choice, naturally) especially if you are going to the A1200 later.

If you are a money-bags and like to strut around like a Massive Cock (of the avian kind), then a HDD attachment is de rigueur (extra street cred if it is the official A590, if only for the balls to actually run it. Respect).

Once you have done this, we can discuss you stepping up to an A1200, and then if you wish to rid yourself completely of sanity and outside relationships, the A3000 calls its siren cry!
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 00:28   #19
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum
As a general statement on emulation, this is fine.
That's precisely what it was supposed to be.

Quote:
Show me any case where you need a i7-2700K/Z68/16GB RAM/GT430 system to run an Amiga emulator
That was my point entirely. You don't NEED that kind of hardware spec, which is why debating "I'd rather have a better GPU etc" is redundant.

Quote:
Snip.
Indeed I did. A1200, NEC Monitor, Internal HDD, Squirrel/CD-ROM, Blizzard 040, Compact Flash.

Never made it to the A3000, mind...PCs got in the way of that
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 08:38   #20
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I still have an A2000 in a box somewhere. I don't use it, but I can't bring myself to part with it.

Meanwhile my dual Opteron runs an Amiga emulator just fine. Just for Mindwalker.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote