bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Mar 2012, 11:43   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Asetek bring liquid cooling to laptops

Asetek has demonstrated a new liquid cooling system for laptops and AOI PCs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...oling-laptop/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 11:50   #2
TheDodoKiller
Supermodder

TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.
Hey, as soon as it's affordable, count me in.
- AMD 1090T OC'd at 3.6 Ghz - Asus Crosshair IV Formula - Reference Asus 6950/70 - Silverstone FT02 B-W - Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB - Kingston HyperX 1600 Ram 4GB - Coolermaster V8 -
TheDodoKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 11:56   #3
towelie
How do I Internet!!

towelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltowelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Woah this is insane, the price will be massive though espically if alienware are to play a part.

Interesting stuff though.
Hard Drives:50GB SSD OCZ Sandforce driver/1TB WD Green 7200RPM
Case:NZXT 810 Switch Black
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 12:13   #4
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I really don't see the advantage of a liquid cooler in a laptop; chiefly because of all Aseteks touted claims can be achieved by heatpipe/vapour chamber coolers. There's no reason why a laptop CPU/GPU can't share a heatsink or series of connected sinks. Exactly the same results as the liquid system only potentially more compact, uses no extra power, has a lower chance for mechanical failure and would be lighter (less fluid involved and no pump).
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 12:55   #5
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for presidentChaosDefinesOrder should be considered for president
liquid inside a laptop? what could possibly go wrong?!

Than again, with the very fixed nature of laptop components you can easily have a solid, non-expiring fluid path removing almost all sources of potential leaks...
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 14:30   #6
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
JCBeastie advantage is _much_ faster liquid transfer over components along with _more_ water (the more water in the line the colder any given component will be).
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 15:03   #7
The Infamous Mr D
We like beans & cheesecake

The Infamous Mr D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm honestly astounded this is the first time that anyone has ever spoken about liquid cooling (a great thermal dissipation technology) in a small thermally challenged consumer-orientated environment (laptops).

Seriously, this should have been done years ago!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, Asus P5E, Patriot Viper 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB in RAID 0, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, all in a Coolermaster Cosmos PURE
The Infamous Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 15:45   #8
warejon9
Multimodder

warejon9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That was quite a chunky laptop, and if there was a voltage increase, and extra power due to pump what is the battery life like?
warejon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 15:48   #9
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
The main limitation is the amount of of radiators surface area and air flow over the radiators with the main advantage of desktop water cooling lying in the fact it can effectively distribute heat to a much larger radiator than pipes.
Liquid cooling will actually infringe on that constraint due to being bulkier than a normal heat pipes
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 16:07   #10
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Wonder what effect on battery life will be.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 18:24   #11
digitaldunc
Soylent green is horses!

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Goes without saying that this will need to be bombproof.

Very niche market, but +1 to Asetek for innovation, if it works as the video states.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 19:49   #12
themassau
Minimodder

themassau has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead
Wonder what effect on battery life will be.
if it is a low power pump then the battery life will shorten in idle situations but it might stay the same when it is at load because the chips will run cooler and run more efficient. don't forget forget that lcd screen use the most battery power.
themassau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 19:50   #13
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I still have a clevo d900t (non functional) and the insides look very similar to that apart from the pump of course. Oh, if any one needs any parts for a d900t pm me, the thing is just sitting around gathering dust.
Main Rig:Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos S, Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V Evo, CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, RAM: 8Gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance GPU: XFX ATI 5870, Primary HDD: 128Gb Kingston SSDNOW 200, Optical Drive: LG Super Multi Blue, OS: Win 7 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 20:55   #14
rodeltt
What's a Dremel?

rodeltt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The thought of a water cooled laptop horrifies me. It might be fine when new but a year or two on its just something else to go wrong, imagine a water leak on the motherboard - terminal! Plus what effects would air travel and the pressurization changes have in promoting a water leak.
rodeltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 22:38   #15
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by west
JCBeastie advantage is _much_ faster liquid transfer over components along with _more_ water (the more water in the line the colder any given component will be).
You are ultimately limited by the heat exchanger, and since this solution doesn't offer any more surface area compared to a traditional heatsink I fail to see the improvement. Heatpipe coolers have proven to be very efficient, since essentially they work under the same phase-change principles as say; a fridge. Liquid coolers have an advantage that they can transport heat to a larger radiator than you could sit on top of say, a CPU, hence greater cooling ability.

All this soloution adds is bulk and greater chance of failure. I'm not convinced.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2012, 09:52   #16
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder if they will have some way to top up the liquid.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2012, 10:06   #17
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrabbits View Post
I wonder if they will have some way to top up the liquid.
There shouldn't be a need. It's the same principle as with the Corsair H series. It is a hermetically sealed environment so if you actually need to fill it up you have a bigger problem since it will be leaking somewhere!
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2012, 10:56   #18
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infamous Mr D View Post
I'm honestly astounded this is the first time that anyone has ever spoken about liquid cooling (a great thermal dissipation technology) in a small thermally challenged consumer-orientated environment (laptops).

Seriously, this should have been done years ago!
It has been done a few times before but never got very far. I beleive Lenovo tried it once, as did someone else.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2012, 21:47   #19
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro View Post
There shouldn't be a need. It's the same principle as with the Corsair H series. It is a hermetically sealed environment so if you actually need to fill it up you have a bigger problem since it will be leaking somewhere!
Ahh nice. It would be good to start getting laptops that dont cook peoples testicles for a change :P Not that I would ever buy one, way too expensive for me. Maybe if I win the lotto some day.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 08:30   #20
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Our local pub has liquid cooling, has had it for years.
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote