bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Mar 2012, 08:48   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I don't deserve a happy Mass Effect 3 ending

"Iíve done things, horrible horrible things"...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...-effect-3-end/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 10:05   #2
Diosjenin
Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Diosjenin has yet to learn the way of the DremelDiosjenin has yet to learn the way of the DremelDiosjenin has yet to learn the way of the DremelDiosjenin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sorry to break it to you, but you're not even going to get a remotely coherent ending...
Old 27th Mar 2012, 10:21   #3
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Bah bet you get the same ending as me... and I have no idea which decisions you've made. At least you're enjoying the brilliant part of the game, after you complete it you'll never want to hear Das Malefitz again in your life.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 10:54   #4
cyberspice
Angel on a bad trip

cyberspice has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You'll get the same ending as the rest of us, the only difference is blue, green or red lights
cyberspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 11:04   #5
neocleous
Supermodder

neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Before everyone flames the ending you should check this out! (Massive spoiler alert)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...eryones-heads/
The video is over 20 mins but if you have time to watch it I think it explains allot and makes a disappointing ending very very clever
neocleous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 11:20   #6
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
It's less about me actually wondering which ending i'll actually get - I already kind of know thanks to Harry being a leaky bag if spoilers - and more about me marvelling at how the game had kicked the hope out of me so brutally.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 11:58   #7
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This post has spoilers.

My biggest worry was that with the lead up to ME3 it didn't feel like the Reapers were much of a threat. My impression at the end of the first game was that preventing their invasion was the only thing that mattered, if they made it into our galaxy then they would win no matter what. The Arrival DLC made it clear that an invasion was going to occur, followed by E3 presentations of Shepherd using a gun turret to shoot directly at one like it was just some regular boss fight...

It turns out that the Reapers DO mess everything up when they arrive, and even when you gather all the races together into one giant army, you have to rely on a deus ex machina super weapon to have any chance. To me this ends up satisfying the original games premise, that the reapers spell humaities doom. As far as I am concerned the "ending" after you get hit by that beam is entirely a hallucination as you're dying. It doesn't matter how hard you tried, the reapers could not be beaten and the cycle of harvesting will continue. I don't care if Bioware releases DLC to fix it, my Shepherd is dead to me, and the ending couldn't have delivered on the Reaper threat any better.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 12:24   #8
Freemanator
Minimodder

Freemanator has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Paul, what horrible things did you do to your friends?
I reckon I stayed as a model of compassionate leadership and avoided, killing any of my friends, although I allowed one to sacrifice himself for the cause.
Freemanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 13:27   #9
chimaera
Multimodder

chimaera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice Serenity reference in there
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 15:15   #10
Crunchy
What's a Dremel?

Crunchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Play 3 games, trying not to die.
Die anyway.

Happened in Halo, now in Mass Effect.

For some that's intersting or exciting, an involving a tragic game proving that gaming is a relevant and important storytelling medium.

For me that's 100 quid wasted.
I was trying not to die.
Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 15:28   #11
Crunchy
What's a Dremel?

Crunchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting*
involving and*

My old keyb' is on it's last legs, bless it xD
Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 15:49   #12
ResCyn
Multimodder

ResCyn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not usually one for memes but yea, just let Marauder Shields gun you down. He's your only chance...
ResCyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 16:37   #13
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Don't worry. You aren't going to get a happy ending, or even a proper ending.
Uni Box:i5 2500K@5GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 240|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz(in blue)|EVGA GTX670SC 4GB+EK FC670|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Denon 5000|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 16:56   #14
pimlicosound
Multimodder

pimlicosound has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There be spoilers below.

I'm not vitriolic at the ME3 ending (I won't dignify it by using the plural). I'm just disappointed. It didn't meet my expectations, and not just because I'm a whiny fanboy (although I might be one), but because BioWare specifically led us to expect something better. In particular, they promised that it would be a proper conclusion to Shepard's story, that they would not pull a "Lost" and leave us with lots of unanswered questions, and that a player's choices would affect the ending.

But however you interpret the ending, it's fails by those measures.

- If you take the ending literally, at face value, then it leaves you with lots of questions unanswered (including several new questions that arise in the ending sequence).

- If you believe the Indoctrination Theory, then you have the pleasure of an ending that makes some kind of logical sense, but must assume that Shepard's story is not truly finished.

- Whichever interpretation you choose to follow, when you enter the final sequence all your previous choices are disregarded and your single final choice has little effect on the outcome.

A lot of people are talking about "artistic integrity", but when your artistic output specifically contradicts its stated aims, then there is no integrity, only artistic opportunism.

That said, nearly everything in the game before the ending sequence is fantastic, and I'll certainly be playing through it all multiple times. I'll just have to imagine a different ending in my mind. After all, BioWare has invited ME players to be co-authors of the story, so I feel perfectly entitled to write my own ending, if only in my perfect imagination.
pimlicosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 17:50   #15
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemanator View Post
Paul, what horrible things did you do to your friends?
I reckon I stayed as a model of compassionate leadership and avoided, killing any of my friends, although I allowed one to sacrifice himself for the cause.
In my best attempt to avoid spoilers - I've shot him, meaning I'm currently lying to him and her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
Nice Serenity reference in there
Nice spot too.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 18:01   #16
mighty_pirate
Multimodder

mighty_pirate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SPOILERS

I don't understand everyone's complaints about how the ending disregards all your previous decisions. They decide directly whether Anderson & Shepard survive. And they serve to weight your final decision to encourage you in different directions to different degrees.
Having three wildly divergent ending was never going to happen because that would make Mass Effect 4 (or whatever the next one ends up being called) ridiculously complicated to make. And they were never going to dead end their franchise.
I'm surprised so many people seemed to expect that.
The ending was always going to be the same thing, but the difference is in what it means, based on your decisions.

I'm not saying it was a great ending, but it was serviceable.
My only question is why the Normandy & your team were fleeing to hyperspace at the end. If they release a quick bit of free DLC that explains that then I'll be chuffed. I'm quite happy for everything else to remain a mystery. Knowing that the Universe goes on, damaged, changed, mysteries & all is much more satisfying to me than "And they all lived happily ever after".
mighty_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 18:31   #17
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
" I don't deserve a happy Mass Effect ending"

Apparently nobody does. I got a "good ending" and that was garbage let me tell you.

The ending we got was so far removed for what IS Mass Effect, that the internet exploded. And the ending is lame. Make no mistake. It makes little sense and uses the cheap, cheap Deus ex machina way of explaining things.

Rumours are rife, from potential comments from one of the writers claiming that the end sequence was not what was planned, and that it had ONLY been written by Casey Hudson and the lead writer Mac Walters. To suggestions from the fans that Shepard had been indoctrinated.

And then there is the old chestnut that they are leaving the real ending for DLC..but since Ray Muzyka (co-founder of Bioware) felt the need to comment on this catastrophe personally, I think they just thought that the bullshit ending we were given was supposed to be good.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...

Last edited by Fizzban; 27th Mar 2012 at 18:38. Reason: typos ect
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 19:09   #18
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_pirate View Post
SPOILERS

I don't understand everyone's complaints about how the ending disregards all your previous decisions. They decide directly whether Anderson & Shepard survive. And they serve to weight your final decision to encourage you in different directions to different degrees.
Having three wildly divergent ending was never going to happen because that would make Mass Effect 4 (or whatever the next one ends up being called) ridiculously complicated to make. And they were never going to dead end their franchise.
The ending was always going to be the same thing, but the difference is in what it means, based on your decisions.

I'm not saying it was a great ending, but it was serviceable.
My only question is why the Normandy & your team were fleeing to hyperspace at the end. If they release a quick bit of free DLC that explains that then I'll be chuffed. I'm quite happy for everything else to remain a mystery. Knowing that the Universe goes on, damaged, changed, mysteries & all is much more satisfying to me than "And they all lived happily ever after".
Although the plot holes are the biggest disappointment for me. It would have been nice if they had a few ending cut scenes similar to ME2 where upgrading certain parts of the ship gave different outcomes. Only this time you would be able to see say an army of krogan taking on some reaper husks if you recruited them or the same husks overrunning an allied position if you didn't.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 19:29   #19
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_pirate View Post
The ending was always going to be the same thing, but the difference is in what it means, based on your decisions..
The series was ALWAYS slated as being a Trilogy. There should be no Mass Effect 4.

They promised us endings that would reflect our decisions, they promised us...oh hell with it..I'd be here ALL day saying this. Let me just link you to another post from one of the persons with the time and effort to collate it all together.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...index/10405204

I've seen better posts on the subject, but I really can't be arsed to spend longer than i already have looking for them.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 19:46   #20
Freemanator
Minimodder

Freemanator has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material View Post
In my best attempt to avoid spoilers - I've shot him, meaning I'm currently lying to him and her.
In the same spoiler vague vogue.

I didn't like the deceit and wouldn't keep the secret, and so I shared the secret with the affected parties at the earliest opportunity. I also reckon I got the better army behind me, and the other side came crawling back somewhat later. The big plus side was no lost friends.
Freemanator is offline   Reply With Quote