bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Mar 2012, 13:16   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
OCZ releases Vertex, Agility, Solid2 firmware update

OCZ has released the Arowana 3.55 update for its Vertex, Agility and Solid2 SSDs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...id2-firmware/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2012, 18:30   #2
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
What a ridiculous update. Some performance boost on some models but with a guaranteed loss of capacity? Just another reason to buy an M4.

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2012, 19:15   #3
Edwards
Hypermodder

Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well, that's what over provisioning is: extra space in reserve on the disk to reduce write amplification.

In fact, if you did the same on an M4 it would speed it up too. What a ridiculous comment.
Intel Core i5 2500k - Maximus V Gene - 4x4 GB Corsair XMS3 1.65v 1600mHz - Asus GTX 570 - 256GB Samsung 830 - Samsung F3 1TB - Samsung F4 2TB - Corsair HX650 - Silverstone TJ08-E - LG IPS231P-BN x 2 - Corsair K70 - CM Storm Inferno
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2012, 22:25   #4
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
Well, that's what over provisioning is: extra space in reserve on the disk to reduce write amplification.

In fact, if you did the same on an M4 it would speed it up too. What a ridiculous comment.
Not a ridiculous comment - a ridiculous update, and for the following reasons:

Destructive
Only applicable to a restricted number of a particular model
Reduces the capacity on an already reduced capacity drive due to overprovisioning.

Why don't they use 90% of the drive space for overprovisioning, and sell people a 256Gb SSD with 8Gb of free space? That'll be really fast!

The M4 doesn't need overprovisioning to be fast. At least when you buy a 128Gb M4 you basically get 128Gb (near enough anyway). Also the updates are not destructive, they apply to all M4s and there is no reduction on your capcity to boot!

Old 28th Mar 2012, 23:04   #5
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgers View Post
Not a ridiculous comment - a ridiculous update, and for the following reasons:

Destructive
Only applicable to a restricted number of a particular model
Reduces the capacity on an already reduced capacity drive due to overprovisioning.

Why don't they use 90% of the drive space for overprovisioning, and sell people a 256Gb SSD with 8Gb of free space? That'll be really fast!

The M4 doesn't need overprovisioning to be fast. At least when you buy a 128Gb M4 you basically get 128Gb (near enough anyway). Also the updates are not destructive, they apply to all M4s and there is no reduction on your capcity to boot!

What about the people who have an ocz drive at the moment? Surely they will want the higher speed?

Edit: just read the article fully and that is actually rather a lot of over provisioning for not a lot of gain :/
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2012, 23:30   #6
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bad update?
you lose about 5.3% of space and gain 28% sequential write speed!
Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me - especially since I got my SSD because it's FAST, not big.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2012, 09:48   #7
greypilgers
Supermodder

I suppose it all depends upon your point of view - with this type of drive, expecially with this update, there is quite a large reduction in capacity over the M4 et al (total space loss approx 17% of the drive for 128Gb), meaning that the realistic Gb per ratio is much reduced, and I don't believe the increase in speed averaged out across all situations is worth sacrificing all that capacity.

Old 29th Mar 2012, 12:38   #8
west
Minimodder

well you've payed for your drive already, if you don't think the upgrade is a good idea then you don't have to use it. if you think it would be a good idea then great news, there it is!
seems like a not-lose, win situation to me. whats so bad about that?
Old 31st Mar 2012, 05:13   #9
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Cool, this might apply to me.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 23:46   #10
west
Minimodder

PS: you can get the same random write performance boost by formatting your drive with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDDerase

It resets all flash cells so they don't have to be erased before a write operation (making random write slow at times - slowing your SSD significantly over time, even with TRIM enabled).