bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Mar 2012, 12:14   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Warhammer 40K MMO cancelled by THQ

THQ's upcoming Warhammer 40K MMO has been cancelled as the company lays off 118 employees.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...mo-cancelled/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 12:28   #2
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This seriously sucks.

Not mainly because of the bane that is F2P, rather the fact they're laying off staff from Relic. In my opinion one of the great devs around today.

Bring on a sequel to Space Marine and/or Dawn of War and i'll be a very happy bunny though.

Awww crap. Just read that Vigial games are the devs of Darksiders 2, another seriously underrated game. Really hope this doesn't mean impending cancellation of that too
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 12:38   #3
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Not a big shock

Star wars cost 3-500 million dollars to make has not exactly been overly successful 2mil subs a whole lot less playing if eu servers are out to go bye perm light load on every server

War hammer does not have that big a subscriber base and I guess they found the break even point to high to realistically continue its development
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 12:47   #4
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Not a big shock

Star wars cost 3-500 million dollars to make
3 million to 500 million? That's one seriously widely ranged estimate!
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 13:03   #5
lysaer
Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
£3 million to £500 million? That's one seriously widely ranged estimate!
The - denotes that the 3 is represented as a hundred. Like saying three to five hundred million

But on topic this sux, I love DoW and DoW2

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk
lysaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 13:15   #6
Niftyrat
Dremel overpriced like EA games

Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As I have said elsewhere not his subject, W40k was never an ideal candidate for MMO due to the sheer scale and nature of the storylines. It could have been good but a fps with squad based play would have been the best way to go. Space marine suffer due to a lack of multiplayer campaign, the multiplayer elements get boring quite quickly.

Dawn of war 2 was not as good as the original due to its lack of scale and buggy windows live, although I hope DOW3 will return to the original formant but will also introduce an online element where your results affect a permanent universe I don't hold out much hope.
Cutting staff does not suggest they are going to be revolutionary in their approach or try and think outside of the box, instead they will play it safe with effectively no more then patch releases to the engines used in 40k while still charging full price.
Niftyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 13:16   #7
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom804 View Post
Awww crap. Just read that Vigial games are the devs of Darksiders 2, another seriously underrated game. Really hope this doesn't mean impending cancellation of that too
Darksiders 2 is due for release in June (29th I think).
I'm really looking forward to it too.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 13:35   #8
Grimloon
Usually bugnuts

Grimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run Crysis
That really sucks to hear about Relic having to lay off staff, they've been behind some of my favourite games over the years, particularly Homeworld and Dawn of War.
Grimloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 14:02   #9
Woollster00
Modder

Woollster00 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
God dam it where is my new dow game
Woollster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 14:36   #10
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 14:39   #11
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademrk
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom804 View Post
Darksiders 2 is due for release in June (29th I think).
I'm really looking forward to it too.
Definitely add me to that sentiment! Darksiders was a fantastic game (or as I like to call it: God of Ocarina May Cry) and thoroughly looking forward to the sequel!

Also add me to the sentiments of not being able to fathom how W40K could work as an MMO. The entire ethos of Warhammer is geared up for limited scope arena based warfare so is much more suited to RTS than Warcraft style...
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 14:48   #12
ModSquid
Multimodder

ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Not too sure of the logistics and I'm kind of speaking before giving it too much thought, but given that in the grim darkness of the far future there is apparently only a bit of aggro, I'd be up for a persistent universe in the same vein as the upcoming Eve/Dust effort. That way you cater for several audiences at once.
ModSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 15:33   #13
DaBigDog
Minimodder

DaBigDog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ahhh nuts, what do you have to do to get some decent IP into a computer games, and really does it cost that much to bring an MMO to market ?

Saying that - I wouldn't say no to a 40k RTS game as a consolation prize !!
DaBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 15:37   #14
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That sucks. I think it would have done really well tbh. 40K always seemed to be more popular than Warhammer and I think with Space Marine and DoW it would have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysaer View Post
The - denotes that the 3 is represented as a hundred. Like saying three to five hundred million

But on topic this sux, I love DoW and DoW2

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk
Ah but then how would you say three to five hundred million? I'd say three hundred to five hundred million :P
Old 30th Mar 2012, 17:12   #15
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
it was ment as 300-500million dollars to make

they are break even around 1mil subs or something was said
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 19:37   #16
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well there goes any tiny whisper of hope for a Homeworld 3
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 21:04   #17
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Shame seeing this go as an MMO, would have been interesting to see how they pulled it off. If only they'd make a Warhammer turn based strategy game, something more similar to the tabletop but sufficiently different for GW to allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post
Also add me to the sentiments of not being able to fathom how W40K could work as an MMO. The entire ethos of Warhammer is geared up for limited scope arena based warfare so is much more suited to RTS than Warcraft style...
Funny that you say "Warcraft style" for an MMO when there are three Warcraft RTS games.
Old 30th Mar 2012, 21:43   #18
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
that was meant to say "world of warcraft" :-)
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 22:06   #19
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I Think MMO's are not as much a gimmick as they use to be. I am a pretty hardcore gamer, although I tend to choose 1 game at a time. I played wow for 4 years, SWG before that until it got the crap game killing updates. but MMO's to me now are all the same, no one is making a big effort to re-invent the genre, SWTOR had a good go, and I do think its a very well made game and enjoyed the beta, but never felt worth investing my time to want to subscribe. Free to play mmo's to me just feel too casual and are even more bland than subscription based ones.
I am still shocked that no one is putting the customisation and non combat features from SWG into any other MMO, I am seriously considering playing the SWG emulator version when its on a more stable release.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2012, 22:44   #20
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Why couldn't they have 2 modes in MMO's 1 for casual players & 1 for hardcore players, would that not solve the problem with these games?, surely there would be enough of both sides to make it work.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote