bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:21   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sega drops jobs, cancels games as losses mount

Sega has confirmed it's cancelling games and laying off staff due to poor financial performance.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/.../sega-losses/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:34   #2
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I can't see Sega making much from their old IP, they need something new and fresh. What ever happened to creativity?
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:53   #3
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
They are in some sort of trouble. They should be looking for new ways to make money.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 15:41   #4
SaNdCrAwLeR
Multimodder

SaNdCrAwLeR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
they should make an Alpha Protocol 2... or a propper remake...
srsly that game was awesome and had a lot of great potential were it not for the bugs that were simply there due to release pressure by SEGA...
SaNdCrAwLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 17:37   #5
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a shame but I'd rather see them cutback and scrape by for now rather than risk it all and die off.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 17:50   #6
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I lament the days of the early 90s when Sega was a gaming behemoth.

I don't feel they command the same respect any more. A bit like ID, in a way.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 17:51   #7
Thedarkrage
Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Thedarkrage has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just hope Creative Assembly will be ok.
i7 4770K@4.4GHz - H100i - Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Windforce 3X - 120GB OCZ Agility 3 - 3TB 2.5" HDD + 1TB 2.5" HDD - Coarsai AX760I Series PSU - Coolermaster Cosmos S - Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX RED - Cyborg R.A.T M.M.O.7 - Win8.1 + start8
Thedarkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 21:02   #8
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
in these revolutionary times, evolving is futile. i loved them when i was younger but i wouldn't miss them if they were to go, tbh i quite like these big firms going as its just making it easier for the good little firms that have had it hard for far to long.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 21:08   #9
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldunc View Post
I lament the days of the early 90s when Sega was a gaming behemoth.

I don't feel they command the same respect any more. A bit like ID, in a way.
There is no reason to respect them anymore sadly.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 23:41   #10
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
they lost my respect with the saturn (which i still own and love to this day) they ignored their fans / customers demands for a sonic game on the platform and only brought out some tosh game in the final days of the console. then their best game on the saturn (NiGHTS) didn't get an outing on dreamcast despite huge demand. they made some absolutely great games but some quite frankly retarded business decisions. Sonic was cool back in the day but there hasnt been a game to bring it back big on any console past the megadrive, unlike nintendo/mario with mario64/mario kart which really impacted on the mainstream.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 13:17   #11
DrTiCool
Multimodder

DrTiCool has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had a blast with Jet Grind Radio on DC, that was Sega, creative and innovative, then as said above some simply bad business decisions. Remember Shenmue? that game cost Sega $80mil as far as I can remember
DrTiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 13:22   #12
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They haven't done anything good for years (maybe Bayonetta, wich i never played), I'm surprised they're still here... And I like SEGA, I own a Dreamcast, a Genesis, and a Master System II, but they just don't bring anything new, they've been dying slowly since the Dreamcast died... They can't even make a proper Sonic game anymore...
I hope they reorganize, and make use of their heads with new IP, the old IP is worn to the bone
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 14:10   #13
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedarkrage View Post
I just hope Creative Assembly will be ok.
With the recent studio expansions creating an entire second floor for a console team I hope they don't feel the burden of the cuts, I don't want to see them fail.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 17:10   #14
TreeDude
Supermodder

TreeDude has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Playing through Sonic Generations now. It certainly is the best full 3D Sonic game to come out since SA2.

They need to finish Shenmue and release it bundled with ports of the first 2 games. That and a sequel to SoA.
TreeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 17:24   #15
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Games have moved on from the old Arcades of the 80's n early 90's, but Sega has not. Sadly other than the occasional decent game they haven't really done anything well since the Megadrive days.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 16:48   #16
thil
Multimodder

thil has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD
I can't see Sega making much from their old IP, they need something new and fresh. What ever happened to creativity?
It scares the shareholders. It's risky. By it's very nature, it's new, and therefore unproven,.
thil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 22:19   #17
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thil View Post
It scares the shareholders. It's risky. By it's very nature, it's new, and therefore unproven,.
Basically this. There is too much Corporation in games these days. They stifle the new as it is an unknown element. Sadly these days games need Corporations.

I pray for the happy medium.

Still waiting..

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote