bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Apr 2012, 13:22   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Government proposes internet snooping laws

The government has revealed plans to monitor all electronic communications in the UK.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...nooping-laws/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 13:48   #2
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.
"Communications data includes time, duration and dialling numbers of a phone call, or an email address. It does not include the content of any phone call or email and it is not the intention of Government to make changes to the existing legal basis for the interception of communications". Really? then why is it that one of the tech tests for MI5 is to reconstruct a network packet containing a couple of emails with a password & a zipfile containing data?

Personally I have no issue with the idea that the authorities want to know who I'm talking to, all I see here is that the services don't want to be seen to continue to lie about it. Perhaps Nick Pickles is naive enough to think that power, ability and intent all mean the same thing.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 13:50   #3
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"such monitoring is necessary in order to keep the populace safe from the spectre of terrorism"
As if they would have trouble getting a warrant from a judge for something like that, I don't think so.

The UK will join the US (Patriot Act) in being able to snoop in on it's citizens without a warrant.

LAME.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:02   #4
Petrol head
Modder

Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
There is a good example though of why our government will never work.

The same people that opposed the decision before and now puting it forward. They care not for what keeps us safe or what is right.

Just getting one over the oppostion.

That took me a lot of saving with a wife and 4 young boys!!
Petrol head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:04   #5
Vo0Ds
Fake potato

Vo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the DremelVo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Coming soon to a Hacktivist website near you...

Masara: i5 2500@4.2Ghz | Asus P8P67LE | EVGA GTX460SC | 8Gb Corsair 1600 | 1TB WD-C BLACK | Fractal R3 | LG 23" IPS
LEGO Ghetto HTPC: Broken-ass laptop pulled apart, now a HTPC... made of LEGO. UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Vo0Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:04   #6
Ayrto
Supermodder

Ayrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for president
And it's rumoured they're on about making ISPs pay for it , so you could have pay for this attack on civil liberties in the form of higher bills.
Ayrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:09   #7
grs
Minimodder

grs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Ed
......Personally I have no issue with the idea that the authorities want to know who I'm talking to, ......
You're kidding, right?
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:15   #8
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
April 1st was yesterday wasn't it?

Otherwise, do not want, do not want so much it's untrue.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:15   #9
Cerberus90
petrolhead

Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.Cerberus90 is definitely a rep cheat.
Please tell me this is a late April Fools article?

This crap about protecting us from terrorists is getting old now. I bet they wouldn't scrap the system when the next terrorist attack occurs, they'd just step it up even more, by banning the internet or something and blaming it on piracy.

Cerberus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:19   #10
gabe777
Minimodder

gabe777 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Surely the real crims will just use SSL tunneling ? Doh ! Yet again, the measures only impact on the innocent.

SSL is available for less than 10 a month, and to access their logs DOES need a warrant - and if they ave any sense, they simply delete all logs daily.

Not rocket science, but we are talking about spies - people that lose laptops and don't have even the concept of encryption.
gabe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:20   #11
Anneon
Multimodder

Anneon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Further amendments to this bill are as follows
A service that allows the authorities to turn on a web cam that may be connected to someone "linked" with anything at all is demeed unsociable.
Further to this, if information is not satisfactory obtained from this inobrusive method, full access to a suspects camera phone shall be expected to be forthcomming.
A further warning in the form of a SMS shall be provided to inform the suspect to charge said phone should further information be required and sufficent power is unavailable for the duration of said required period. A non compliance to not charge said phone shall be a criminal offence.

wrong.
Anneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:27   #12
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This has nothing to do with terrorism. Any terrorist who poses a real risk to uk will know not to use electronic communication and if they do with foreign email servers and draft letters rather than anything sent. This is just a way to monitor public protest and control internal disent.
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 15:11   #13
thEcat
Multimodder

thEcat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It strikes me that once again the Gov. don't have a clue on such issues.

Want to send an email and avoid the to/from monitoring? Just connect to a foreign email server, standard html access, you don't even need encryption. Of course they'll know you've been to the web address but unless they are recording the data flow, which apparently they are not, they'll have no idea of your email address, who you're talking to or what you're saying.

With such a simple loophole, even considering this legislation is a total waste of time and money.
thEcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 15:48   #14
amirkomet
What's a Dremel?

amirkomet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow.... Okay! I guess its back to pen and paper for the terrorist then
amirkomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 15:59   #15
Ploo
Minimodder

Ploo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does this concept make anyone else feel physically ill?

The terrorism excuse is such bullshit, I wish more people would see through it. Any organisation with the resources and motivation to pull off a terrorist attack will not make use of the internet in such a way that it risks compromise to the operation. So I guess 'terrorism' is just an excuse to take a step towards a totalitarian government.
Ploo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 16:03   #16
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
Petition:

http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea...mpaign.id=8227

Public pressure has been successful in the past.
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.

Last edited by Deders; 2nd Apr 2012 at 16:57.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 16:41   #17
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
That's outrageous! How would that level of snooping even be legal? Everyone has a right to privacy. Can't believe they are using the excuse of terrorism..that's such horse sh*t. They just want power over us.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 16:54   #18
fallenphoenix
What's a Dremel?

fallenphoenix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was desperately hoping this was an April 1 related story From the US, where our civil liberties seem to continuously be under assault, I wish you the best in stamping out this absurd legislation and ousting whoever is responsible for introducing it.
fallenphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 17:39   #19
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
they've been doing this for years this is just them making it "legal". Guess that gives me the right to read every email sent by the government to see if they're doing their work properly and in my interest. only seems fair.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 18:11   #20
Riffler
What's a Dremel?

Riffler has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I suspect they leaked this on April 1 deliberately so many would dismiss it as an April Fools. It isn't.

The Tory government will have a list of everyone who visits the Labour Party website. Even if you're not politically active you have to be able to see the sinister potential behind that.

And as the Tory theft of the London Mayoral twitter account has shown, they can't help but abuse these things when the opportunity presents. Not to mention the abuse of previous "anti-terrorist" powers to snoop on dog-walkers and school applicants. The only way to prevent these powers from being abused is to prevent them being granted in the first place.
Riffler is offline   Reply With Quote