bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Apr 2012, 16:29   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Notch unveils Elite-inspired 0x10c

Notch has revealed his next game: a CPU-simulating Elite-alike dubbed 0x10c.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/.../notch-0x10c/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 16:51   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Landing on planets?
Infinity Universe anyone?!

Though the rest does seem like a lot of nerdy fun.
He has announced it as a subscription based game though, which is kind of meh.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 16:54   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
Read again: multiplayer will attract a subscription, single-player (as with Elite and its kind) will be subscription-free.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 17:28   #4
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This could well be THE update to Elite so many have been waiting for.

Assuming that is it's possible to play multiplayer without getting your ars*d kicked every five minutes by twelve year olds.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 18:53   #5
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
Landing on planets?
Infinity Universe anyone?!

Though the rest does seem like a lot of nerdy fun.
Land on a planet: Loads random Minecraft world. Game within a game.

Would be epic.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 19:05   #6
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Old 4th Apr 2012, 19:57   #7
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens
Nice. I think what we need to do is run 0x10c on a virtualised system, and write some code for the DCPU-16 that emulates a BBC Micro. And then play Elite on it.
Old 4th Apr 2012, 20:47   #8
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm kinda sceptical as usual. My thoughts are that I wish he would spend less time goofing around with stuff like the computer within the game, and spend time focusing on fun gameplay. For example I am tired of playing space game after space game where all you do is PEW PEW PEW lazers and occasionally press M to fire a mission. I would really like to play one with more advanced combat, tractor beams and perhaps firing one lazer to disrupt shields, another to damage the hull etc.. maybe make it so you can target different parts of the ship etc.. Basically, a game made by someone who really wants to make the best out of the combat, and I just don't think Notch is that kind of guy

And lastly, I'm just not sure how interested I would be in virtual trading these days. I did it 20 odd years ago in Elite and the Elite sequels. I then did it again in the X games and Space Rangers. And I've done it in various RPG's and MMORPG's too. It's always pretty boring, like some kind of real life job simulation, but I can be motivated by becoming rich in a universe that will last a long time and reward me with cool space ships or whatever. The only ones to give me that was the Space Rangers games which let you get some amazing ships with great weapons and then get in to some epic battles with the Dominators, and in MMORPG's where being rich let me twink new characters and stuff.

It could work out well, but I think Notch and I like very different things.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 20:48   #9
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Nice. I think what we need to do is run 0x10c on a virtualised system, and write some code for the DCPU-16 that emulates a BBC Micro. And then play Elite on it.

+rep

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 21:10   #10
Bogomip
... Yo Momma

Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Or write a windows emulator or linux emulator in BBC Basic................. and then run 0x10c on that!

Loop to infinity

edit: and the man who managed to write an emulator in BBC basic will win it all
Bogomip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2012, 23:39   #11
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yaay, my knowledge of assembly programming may actually get used while gaming!
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 00:40   #12
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Im intrigued. With minecraft the digital systems part of my degree paid off, with this the software development side will. Anyone get the impression by 10 years time Notch will be able to run his own university in game form?
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 02:17   #13
Bonedoctor
Have you turned it off & on again?

Bonedoctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will someone at bit-tech stop allowing pop-up advertising on their site? V v annoying.
Bonedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 05:39   #14
davenada
What's a Dremel?

davenada has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://0x10cboards.com has updates

http://0x10cboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21
davenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 16:48   #15
[-Stash-]
Multimodder

[-Stash-] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedoctor
Will someone at bit-tech stop allowing pop-up advertising on their site? V v annoying.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

AdBlock goes back on.

Love the idea of integrating with random Minecraft worlds when you land on a planet
[-Stash-] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2012, 16:43   #16
Roskoken
Multimodder

Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Reidquat better be the pirate infested hell hole I remember it to be, panther clipper cheesecake!
Roskoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2012, 13:29   #17
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
At the moment, the concept seems extremely nerdy: the whole premise of the game is based on a mix-up between big-endian and little-endian and he's included a fully-simulated 16-bit processor on which your ship is based...

I think I'll reserve judgement until the game is a little more fleshed out and we start to see what the actual gameplay will be like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farting Bob View Post
Land on a planet: Loads random Minecraft world. Game within a game.

Would be epic.
I'm sure that this is a possibility not lost on Notch... Though they would likely need to limit the size of the Minecraft worlds that are created and make the resources rarer; if you were landing on a planet to mine it and gather resources, you could spend the rest of the game never having to go to another planet...

Would still be awesome, though!
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2012, 16:01   #18
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
At the moment, the concept seems extremely nerdy: the whole premise of the game is based on a mix-up between big-endian and little-endian and he's included a fully-simulated 16-bit processor on which your ship is based...

I think I'll reserve judgement until the game is a little more fleshed out and we start to see what the actual gameplay will be like.

I'm sure that this is a possibility not lost on Notch... Though they would likely need to limit the size of the Minecraft worlds that are created and make the resources rarer; if you were landing on a planet to mine it and gather resources, you could spend the rest of the game never having to go to another planet...

Would still be awesome, though!
Minecraft in space....build a space rocket collect fuel and pray acreeper hasn't managed to spawn onboard
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote