bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Apr 2012, 11:59   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Apple's OS X hit by drive-by malware

Apple's OS X machines have been recruited into a half-million strong botnet through a drive-by downloader.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...e-by-malware/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 12:46   #2
Picky88
Supermodder

Picky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Apple, start telling people they need antivirus on their MAC's. Because its true. And your users wont listen to anyone else!

Also now I am a mac owner I can't get herpes, right?
CPU: Core i5-750 @ 3.8Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-14 GPU: Nvidia GTX260 RAM: 8GB of Corsair XMS3 Mobo: Asus P7P55-M Display: Dell 2405FPW @ 1920x1200 Sound: Logitech Z10 Speakers Mouse: Logitech M505 Keyboard: Apple Aluminium USB keyboard
Picky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 12:53   #3
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Everything can get viruses... I don't know how people believe in the "I don't need no AV because I own a Mac"...

Everything is hackable, and can be infected...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 16:57   #4
Dwarfer
Banned

Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The only reason Apple products haven't in the past had viruses (or as much) is people don't write code but as more & more are buying MAC's we will see more viruses hit this market. So Apple users beware lol
Dwarfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 20:07   #5
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmm, irony. mac users are unknowingly part of a massive network of drones.
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 21:47   #6
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This isn't the first time Macs have been hit, but they like to hide their head in the sand saying there is no virus. Call it a trojan, call it adware, or even Barney the dinosaur, it's malware, the lines blurred years ago and burying your head in the sand isn't an excuse. If you are on the internet, put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

I know Pc techs who think they are safe too "I'm careful and I would know". The days where every infection brought the system to it's knees have long passed.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2012, 21:55   #7
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Lol, I still remember the dear Apple rep that promised me that macs are totally secure from viruses as they were 64bit. Maybe apple themselves actually believe they are immune......

Quote:
I laughed =)
Old 6th Apr 2012, 01:07   #8
brave758
Ultramodder

brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.
lol
brave758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 08:03   #9
shadysam
Minimodder

shadysam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Too bad for people who believe that theirs Mac are unbreakable XD
Old 6th Apr 2012, 08:47   #10
Boscoe
"and she'll be foamin at the vag."

Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just out of interest I own both and have no protection on either except spy it search and destroy on the pc. I scan every week and nothing is detected, I don't go on any dodgy sites only professional well known ones how would I get any malware anyway?
Old 6th Apr 2012, 10:26   #11
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
Just out of interest I own both and have no protection on either except spy it search and destroy on the pc. I scan every week and nothing is detected, I don't go on any dodgy sites only professional well known ones how would I get any malware anyway?
I hope that is Spybot Search & Destroy, emphases on the & symbol, since there are several trojan infected programs with almost the exact same name.

As for it being used as protection, it's heyday has been passed and no one thing does everything. You really might want to run a scan with Malware Bytes or Super-Antispyware.

There was a week last year where, Google, Yahoo, Myspace and Facebook were all handing out trojans. Considering how many of ads are handled by Google, how well can you hide.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
Old 6th Apr 2012, 10:49   #12
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotkicked
I LOL'd IRL.
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 11:34   #13
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Can anybody pronounce Schadenfreude?
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 11:36   #14
Valinor
Multimodder

Valinor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I heard that Oracle patched this back in February, but Apple have only just approved it for use on macs.
Valinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 11:43   #15
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe
Microsoft Security Essentials. Get it, it's free, you have no excuse.
Old 6th Apr 2012, 12:31   #16
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie
This isn't the first time Macs have been hit, but they like to hide their head in the sand saying there is no virus. .
where did my post go ??? (((ok whats up with the site when i press Post it takes me to the fourms)))

this is the first one that only requires you to see the web site for the botnet install to happen (like when your on windows pc and are using IE8/9 and you get one of them auto loading virus that require no user action to get it on your pc), others malware have been to trick you into clicking the install button and then the OSX keychains password to allow it to be installed (same as windows most of the time)

having an antivirus is no longer enough any more as each malware or virus or what ever, is different file every time so most antivirus are only 10-20% affective now (Use Chrome with Click to Play enabled as that stops all plugins)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 15:02   #17
Necrow
Multimodder

Necrow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mac's Never Get Virus <MythBusted>
Necrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2012, 22:32   #18
leslie
Just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leexgx View Post
this is the first one that only requires you to see the web site for the botnet install to happen (like when your on windows pc and are using IE8/9 and you get one of them auto loading virus that require no user action to get it on your pc), others malware have been to trick you into clicking the install button and then the OSX keychains password to allow it to be installed (same as windows most of the time)
No,
Last year Macs were hit by those fake anti-virus programs that have been hitting Windows for years, the first required user action and caused an uproar. They no sooner patched it, and a new version came out requiring nothing. While it didn't get into the system nearly as deep, it did get in. It passed into history quietly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrow View Post
Mac's Never Get Virus <MythBusted>
But it's not a "true" virus!!!
Come the cries of thousands of Mac fans.

Old 6th Apr 2012, 22:37   #19
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Old 7th Apr 2012, 04:13   #20
FeRaL
Multimodder

FeRaL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotkicked
I needed this laugh...
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain
FeRaL is offline   Reply With Quote