bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Apr 2012, 15:14   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Ex-Intel engineer pleads guilty to IP theft

Thought he was doing AMD a favour.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-intel-theft/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2012, 15:32   #2
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Good.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2012, 16:22   #3
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Judge: Mr Pani, have you been up before me before?
Pani: I don't know your honour, what time do you get up?
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2012, 16:54   #4
Thedarkrage
Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Thedarkrage has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
and a rapist only gets 3years but ****ed up if you ask me not that anyone did.
i7 4770K@4.4GHz - H100i - Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Windforce 3X - 120GB OCZ Agility 3 - 3TB 2.5" HDD + 1TB 2.5" HDD - Coarsai AX760I Series PSU - Coolermaster Cosmos S - Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX RED - Cyborg R.A.T M.M.O.7 - Win8.1 + start8
Thedarkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2012, 16:55   #5
Thedarkrage
Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Thedarkrage has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that was meant to be bit not but
i7 4770K@4.4GHz - H100i - Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Windforce 3X - 120GB OCZ Agility 3 - 3TB 2.5" HDD + 1TB 2.5" HDD - Coarsai AX760I Series PSU - Coolermaster Cosmos S - Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX RED - Cyborg R.A.T M.M.O.7 - Win8.1 + start8
Thedarkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2012, 17:49   #6
b1candy
What's a Dremel?

b1candy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bankers can shaft the economy for trillions and still get bonuses
What this guy did was wrong sure, but decades in prison? Two things could happen here:
Intel lose profit. Everyone benefits from better processors.
b1candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2012, 18:11   #7
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
How disappointing. If this guy were successful he could've brought AMD the secrets to better performance that they needed. However, I'm sure AMD threw him under the bus when they discovered he was in trouble, and I wouldn't blame them either.

I'm sure intel's endless line of lawyers are what got this guy to be imprisoned for so long.
Old 10th Apr 2012, 18:16   #8
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1candy View Post
What this guy did was wrong sure, but decades in prison? Two things could happen here:
This is theft and would deprive Intel of millions of dollars whilst boosting AMD no end, big punishment for a big crime.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Old 10th Apr 2012, 18:27   #9
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
This is a rare bubbling to the surface of a massive corporate espionage war that has been waged in the tech sector since the RIFing of CIA and KGB agents in the 90s.

Most of the important history of the last 50 years is not in the public's consciousness, be skeptical.
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 04:26   #10
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
$200-$400 mil is the value of the docs? How was that determined? FBI: "And what is your estimate of the value of the documents stolen?" Intel: "All the money, sir." FBI: "What do you mean, all the money?" Intel: "Just that, all of it. They were worth all the money in the world, past, present, and future." FBI: "Ooookaaaay. Well, how about I put down $400 million, and we'll call it good." Intel: "Fair enough."

And word, to Thedarkrage. How about we swap those - decades for rapey, murdery assholes, 5-10 for this white collar **** that only hurts corporations. Take his money, leave him bankrupt, but make room in prison for real criminals. Or hey, homie should argue that he was raping Intel, not stealing from them. Then he'll be out in 3-5.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 04:29   #11
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1candy View Post
This is theft and would deprive Intel of millions of dollars whilst boosting AMD no end, big punishment for a big crime.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Intel can cry me a river, too. Why are you defending a gigantic, faceless corporation? You think they wouldn't screw you over if it made them a dollar? THAT'S WHAT THEY DO, THEY'RE CORPORATIONS.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 06:55   #12
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic View Post
Intel can cry me a river, too. Why are you defending a gigantic, faceless corporation? You think they wouldn't screw you over if it made them a dollar? THAT'S WHAT THEY DO, THEY'RE CORPORATIONS.
Yes I know.
Old 11th Apr 2012, 07:24   #13
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@fluxtatic
Intel makes 54,000,000,000 a year, 400,000,000 (0.7%) seems reasonable - considering these technology 'secrets' pretty much determines their CPU market success.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 07:37   #14
penryn 2 hertz
I'm not a science fiction writer...

penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.
This is crazy a man can go out and kill a person then get about 20 to 25 years in jail but a man steals a few files and could face 40 to 50 years... there's something terribly wrong here
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
penryn 2 hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 08:08   #15
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@penryn 2 hertz, fluxtatic, Thedarkrage
You wouldn't think that multi-decade imprisonment for robbing a bank of $400 mill to be inapropriate would you?
Sure it's only a corporation - not a person, but it's money pays many people. This guy 'stole' potential money from a lot of people (not just a corporation).
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 08:13   #16
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Since intel spends millions (maybe billions) of dollars a year in r&d, it doesn't seem fair that someone can just go take it to a rival company, serves him right really.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 08:52   #17
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
I know it might not be PC but I think it's a shame he got caught. Intel got away with bribes that have led to their market dominance, might be nice to see a little Karma..

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 10:45   #18
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Everyone seems to be missing a major point made in the article, which is that "The FBI was able to recover these documents quickly, before Pani could use them to Intel’s disadvantage, largely because Intel reported the theft quickly and assisted the investigation" - so there was no loss to Intel. Sure, the guy should go to prison for this, but decades does seem a little harsh, and a billion dollars of damages is absurd if (as the article suggests) Pani wasn't able to use the secrets or communicate them to anyone else at AMD.
Old 11th Apr 2012, 11:34   #19
jb0
Minimodder

jb0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I feel obliged to point out he MAY go to prison for decades(an even century, in fact, is the upper limit in this case, according to the US Department of Justice). He MOST LIKELY won't. Maximum sentences are just that: the maximum allowed.
Also, as he pled guilty to five counts, each with a maximum prison term of twenty years, it could also be five twenty-year sentences... served concurrently. So even IF he gets the maximum sentence on all five counts, he could still be out in twenty.

Though... given his career prospects look pretty dim now, he may want to push for as much of that free room and board as he can get.

And if I were AMD, I wouldn't have touched those documents with a hundred-foot pole. If I knew someone had documents like that, I would fire them so fast they'd get whiplash. Hell, I'd even ask the police to come pick him up on Intel's behalf.
If they'd wound up using that information in their own products, they would've been in a ridiculous amount of trouble. Damaging Intel? He could have destroyed AMD with his "help."
jb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2012, 12:46   #20
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Interesting... what would have happened if he'd defected to AMD after being privy to Intel knowledge without stealing documents? I know he'd presumably be under several NDAs, but there would be nothing to stop him from being "influenced" by the work at Intel akin to white room development?

I presume both big companies have measures in place that mitigate the likelihood of this happening since it's obviously not the first time an employee has left for another company.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote