bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 12th Apr 2012, 11:55   #1
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.
Free 3-D Moddeling software

Sup dudes, I need a program that I can make 3-D models in an send to a CNC shop to get them machined out. Heres a list of supported filetypes that Protolabs use, so I need to be able to save in the following as they don't accpet .skp (Google SketchUp).

IGES (.igs)
STEP (.stp)
SolidWorks (.sldprt)
ProE (.prt)
Parasolid (.x_t and .x_b)
ACIS (.sat)
AutoCAD (.dwg, 3D only)
Autodesk Inventor (.ipt)

Thanks peeps, hopefully there is something out there for me.

Steel Series 6G MX Blacks /Choc Mini MX Blues / Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 Anthracite/ Poker 2 with 45g MX Blacks/ Dell AT101W/ Beige Filco TKL 45g MX Black / V60 Mini MX Brown
shrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:00   #2
VipersGratitude
I *am* a Dremel

VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
blender?
Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:12   #3
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.
It doesn't support any of the file types they use dude. Thanks though.

Steel Series 6G MX Blacks /Choc Mini MX Blues / Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 Anthracite/ Poker 2 with 45g MX Blacks/ Dell AT101W/ Beige Filco TKL 45g MX Black / V60 Mini MX Brown
Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:26   #4
Paddy
Modder

Paddy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can sketch-up export to IGES or STEP format, these are universal non-CAD specific formats?

If this is a one off, then Autodesk offer a 30 day trial for Inventor, so maybe give that a go?

Let me know if you need any Inventor help.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:38   #5
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Downloading the 30 day trial now, thanks man!

Old 12th Apr 2012, 14:20   #6
Xye
Supermodder

Xye has yet to learn the way of the DremelXye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There is an extension to Sketchup that converts to stl. They should accept that?
CNC Controller: E8500@3.3GHz (unable to push further)| Asus P5N-D|8800GTS|Barracuda 250Gb| Condensation (Case)
Xye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2012, 15:16   #7
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xye View Post
There is an extension to Sketchup that converts to stl. They should accept that?
Where can I find that mate?

Old 12th Apr 2012, 16:15   #8
ninjaplease
I don't know what I'm doing

ninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysis
There's a version of pro-e that works well, but pro-e itself is a bitch to use.

edit: Removed references to piracy. Please refrain from discussion of warez in future. - spec

Last edited by specofdust; 21st Apr 2012 at 16:18. Reason: Discussion of warez
ninjaplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 06:20   #9
Sea Shadow
aka "Panda"

Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Sea Shadow is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I use inventor on my desktop (Student edition is free if you have a valid .edu address).
I use 123D on my laptop.

Both can export in the format you need.
Old 21st Apr 2012, 13:48   #10
Booga
Cuppa tea anyone?

Booga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for president
Still in Beta but worth a try.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad/
Old 21st Apr 2012, 14:09   #11
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post
Still in Beta but worth a try.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad/
I'm downloading as we speak, I managed to get one saved as a 3d file and was quoted 140 for my fan grill!

Old 21st Apr 2012, 14:17   #12
bluespider42
Supermodder

bluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you (or a nice friend) have a .ac.uk email address then you can download pretty much an Autodesk software for free.
Old 21st Apr 2012, 14:42   #13
Aterius Gmork
/r/pcmasterrace

Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Try Autodesk 123D. It's a free software meant to create models that are to be produced in the end, which is exactly your purpose.

It's pretty easy to use, can export some of the fily types you need and will and will wield far better results than Sketchup.