bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Apr 2012, 10:55   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition review

The Witcher 2 proves a fine fit for the Xbox 360. Here's our review of an excellent RPG.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-...her2enhanced/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 11:13   #2
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm impressed. I actually own this game already, but never got past the tutorial due to time constraints. I think once I finish Skyrim I'll be playing this.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 11:53   #3
Jasio
Made in Canada

Jasio has yet to learn the way of the DremelJasio has yet to learn the way of the DremelJasio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
An excellent game, from an excellent studio. I really do enjoy this series of games ... it's Mass Effect with Swords.
[[Asus Rampage III Formula RoG | Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.2 Ghz | Corsair H70 | 12GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill | 2 x MSI 560Ti 1GB Twin Frozer II SLi | Corsair AX750 PSU | 2 x Crucial C300 128GB SSD + 3 x Samsung F1 1TB | Silverstone Fortress FT02B]]
Jasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:28   #4
Kris
Lord Lolwut

Kris has yet to learn the way of the DremelKris has yet to learn the way of the DremelKris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
I'm impressed. I actually own this game already, but never got past the tutorial due to time constraints. I think once I finish Skyrim I'll be playing this.
One does not simply "finish" Skyrim - you'll have to just start playing tw2 asap! =)
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:40   #5
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Having played The Witcher 2 through twice for both story arcs I can't help but wonder what the "Enhanced" version brings to the table.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:47   #6
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I need to get round to finishing the first one of this! and mass effect 1! My exams just now are draining my life force need to get the uni malarky finished with!

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:52   #7
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasio
An excellent game, from an excellent studio. I really do enjoy this series of games ... it's Mass Effect with Swords.
Hey hey hey. There is no need to be insulting about The Witcher, Jasio!
Old 18th Apr 2012, 13:09   #8
Phalanx

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
One does not simply "finish" Skyrim - you'll have to just start playing tw2 asap! =)
I must admit, Skyrim isn't holding me how I thought it would. I think it's perhaps TOO open for me. I like the story-led RPGs like Witcher more. I loved the first. I'll finish Skyrim's main story, no problem, but I'm not much into the exploring side.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 14:03   #9
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
Having played The Witcher 2 through twice for both story arcs I can't help but wonder what the "Enhanced" version brings to the table.
This ^_^
XFXScorpio911 ¦ PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz ¦ SLI GTX 480 1536MB¦ ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA ¦ 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T¦ CORSAIR HYDRO H50 ¦ CORSAIR Force 3 120GB ¦ WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit ¦ Musings On The Technical World ¦ Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 15:00   #10
mighty_pirate
Multimodder

mighty_pirate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Filler mostly, I think. More tangential dialogue & side quest, a few extra weapons, bombs & traps apparently & the usual graphical & performance optimisations a big patch brings.

If you've played it twice then it's probably not worth another look so soon. But I only did the one run through & that was at launch, on normal, before dark mode. So now I'm going to give that a go on a second run through & with all these extra bells & whistles, making alternate choices. Which I think will all add up to more than enoguh to make it an interesting different experience.
mighty_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 15:00   #11
Phalanx

Do you guys recommend a controller over mouse/keyboard for this?
Old 18th Apr 2012, 15:08   #12
tad2008
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_pirate
Quote:
Filler mostly, I think. More tangential dialogue & side quest, a few extra weapons, bombs & traps apparently & the usual graphical & performance optimisations a big patch brings.

If you've played it twice then it's probably not worth another look so soon. But I only did the one run through & that was at launch, on normal, before dark mode. So now I'm going to give that a go on a second run through & with all these extra bells & whistles, making alternate choices. Which I think will all add up to more than enoguh to make it an interesting different experience.
Thanks for the clarification but may have to give it another go as couldn't get enough of this or even the first Witcher and both were over far too soon for my liking.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 15:10   #13
tad2008
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Do you guys recommend a controller over mouse/keyboard for this?
Have played using both and both work equally well, tho as much as I normally favour KB+mouse it was the xbox controller I found provided a more relaxed way to play overall.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 15:13   #14
misterd77
Multimodder

misterd77 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what was wrong with the first release ?, didnt play it, but cant help but think that this is a cash grab.....for those on pc anyway, any other studio that re-released a game as "enhanced" would be blown away with trolling, just frackin take the time to finish games properly, I am really starting to get fed up with endless updates and dlc.......this is just another example of it...
misterd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 15:16   #15
Phalanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingemuncher View Post
what was wrong with the first release ?, didnt play it, but cant help but think that this is a cash grab.....for those on pc anyway, any other studio that re-released a game as "enhanced" would be blown away with trolling, just frackin take the time to finish games properly, I am really starting to get fed up with endless updates and dlc.......this is just another example of it...
How is it a cash grab when people who already own the game get this version for free as a patch?

And thanks tad2008, I'll try the controller out.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 15:59   #16
Jaybles
Hypermodder

Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingemuncher
Bullshit. Not only is the DLC free but responding to what the community asked for in bug fixes and a bit of balancing is awesome! The original game was exceptional and this reportedly adds 4 hours of extra content that I am sure will be awesome as well.
i7 950 @ 3.8 1.192v|Noctua NH-U12P SE2|Asus P6X58D-E|12 GB DDR3 1600|1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3|Samsung 830 64GB|XFX Double D R7950|Asus Xonar DG|Antec Quattro 850w|Bitfenix Colossus|Dell U2311H|Dell E173FP
Steam|PSN:nythraln
Jaybles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 16:18   #17
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
So did you guys just copy-paste the old review or what?
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 16:57   #18
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think an 'Enhanced Edition' is sort of a house tradition for Witcher games. The first Witcher game was so poorly presented that it needed a comprehensive reworking just to make it playable, and it was really good to see that level of commitment from a company when most would simply shove a turd out the door and count their money.

However the Witcher 2 really didn't need enhancement in the same way, so it'll be interesting to see what's there.

I'm not sure that I agree with the praise for the story though. An adult story does not simply mean that every single character has to be a completely unsympathetic swine. There is a hell of a lot to like about the game certainly, and I rate it among my favourites, but I think it falls into the modern fantasy cliché (by way of Game of Thrones) that there are no heroes or villains, just worlds full of people that are crying out for a good flu pandemic. But if you can embrace the relentless misanthropy of those stories then it's all good.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 17:21   #19
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I played the witcher 1 in the enhanced version. And I loved it.

Witcher 2 feels like above average at most for me.

Am I the only one that think the combat system in witcher 2 is utterly annoying? Annoying to the point of stop playing it?
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 17:35   #20
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can't fill someones virtual house with virtual cheese? OH NO! I hate Skyrim, and I'm going to really hate future games that look at it as a benchmark It makes me want to make my own game which is all about diarrhea. I can just see the reviews now, "The next big RPG you have all been waiting for is finally here! And boy are you in for a treat. It may not let you smear diarrhea all over your face like you can in rogerrabbits's fantastic World of Poo, but it's still a good game in it's own conservative non poo smearing way."
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote