bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Apr 2012, 11:58   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Soitec claims breakthrough for FinFET production

Soitec claims its latest FD-3D wafers will bring 3D transistor technology to the masses.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...breakthrough/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:52   #2
TheDodoKiller
Supermodder

TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, that's good news
- AMD 1090T OC'd at 3.6 Ghz - Asus Crosshair IV Formula - Reference Asus 6950/70 - Silverstone FT02 B-W - Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB - Kingston HyperX 1600 Ram 4GB - Coolermaster V8 -
TheDodoKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 13:54   #3
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's just mind-boggling how the in semiconductor technology is progressing. Comparing this progress with a gas powered engine and we should have being flying in cars for the last 30 years.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 16:11   #4
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
@USRF Obiwan
Agreed, but you can single-handedly blame oil companies for that - they're almost ruining our economy by themselves, along with companies like Wal Mart.

But anyways back to the topic, I'd say great job to Soitec, although if other companies aren't already aware of how to manufacture fin-FETs the way Soitec does then I'm not sure if giving out their secret was the best idea.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 18:56   #5
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
@USRF Obiwan
Agreed, but you can single-handedly blame oil companies for that - they're almost ruining our economy by themselves, along with companies like Wal Mart.
Wut? As far as I'm aware, oil companies provide direct employment for millions of people, are the backbone of our economies and have single-handedly enabled the massive growth of the world's economy over the last hundred years. Without cheap energy the tech market could never have exploded like it has. Moore's law relies entirely on the availability of cheap energy. Without the long-chain hydrocarbons extracted from oil-wells the plastics industry would not exist at all. Without plastics, I'd imagine half the things you see in a room would not exist.

Oil companies may well ruin the environment, but please don't blame them for the economy - that is the product of government mismanagement and the financial markets' unhealthy interest in financial instruments.

And now, back to the thread

Soitec seem to have done a good job, it will be interesting to see how far this is taken up in the future.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 20:26   #6
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
'As well as its FD-3D and related planar FD-2D wafers, Soitec has announced plans to introduce strained silicon versions of its wafers.' I've rang Tunnocks and they said they're looking into this as it could be a fringe of copyright
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 23:30   #7
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@schmidtbag - this is a press release FROM Soitech. I doubt this article contains any trade secrets. They actually have a lot more information about their product(s) on their website.

@Obiwan - gas powered engines have been improving and still are. It's not fair to compare the progress of the combustion engine (over 200 years old) during the last 30 years to semi-conductors (about 60 years old). In all probability a lot more RnD hours have been dedicated to improving engines than to improving semi-conductors.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2012, 02:58   #8
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
Wut? As far as I'm aware, oil companies provide direct employment for millions of people, are the backbone of our economies and have single-handedly enabled the massive growth of the world's economy over the last hundred years. Without cheap energy the tech market could never have exploded like it has. Moore's law relies entirely on the availability of cheap energy. Without the long-chain hydrocarbons extracted from oil-wells the plastics industry would not exist at all. Without plastics, I'd imagine half the things you see in a room would not exist.

Oil companies may well ruin the environment, but please don't blame them for the economy - that is the product of government mismanagement and the financial markets' unhealthy interest in financial instruments.
They have positioned themselves at the core of the economy either destroying or buying and mothballing any competition that comes along. yes they were greatly responsible for a centuries worth of growth, but the oil industry needs to be happy with its lot and move over to the new breed of energy. shame they wont do that till the oil runs out.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2012, 09:11   #9
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
schmidtbag +1
SexyHyde +1

All the oil companies do now is stifle technological advancement. If abundant cheap energy is whats needed to progress then Tesla's work should never have been hushed up, because ultimately we would probably all have free electricity by now.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2012, 02:49   #10
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not into conspiracy theories but Tesla goes to show that bigger forces are at work behind the scenes without a doubt. Shame he was a little bit crazy as well as genius. what i wouldn't do to know what he knew.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote