bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 14th May 2012, 11:22   #21
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Dk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
While waiting for the motherboard to come, so I can make the fourth part of the project, I decided to work on the cables that I’m going to need.

The first one I’m going to use is for powering the LED stripes. I needed to modify something, of course:

The cable is meant for powering and regulating 3 fans but I cut out the regulating cable and modified it as a fourth power one:

I had to apply some sanding the connectors:

And then came the best part – sleeving:

I had a SATA cable as well, so I sleeved it too:

After finishing the cables, I took some pictures of the whole structure put together:

Best Regards
Dk_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 17:37   #22
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Dk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the DremelDk_vr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had some free time today, so I decided to make the cables connecting the motherboard to the turn on and restart buttons.

This is the result:

And assembled:

When I come to the final assembling, I will put heatshrink on the buttons and finish them.
Old 20th May 2012, 18:19   #23
Fredcompany
Sir, your PC just bit me.

Fredcompany has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks awesome! What make is the dremel extender you have?
Fredcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 08:26   #24
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcompany View Post
Looks awesome! What make is the dremel extender you have?
Thanks mate.

I bought this dremel as a pack: the machine plus some other accessories. The extender was one of them.

Best Regards
Old 29th May 2012, 15:54   #25
Mr3D
Modder

Mr3D has yet to learn the way of the DremelMr3D has yet to learn the way of the DremelMr3D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice work mate!
Tho don't you think the LED cables will be a bit long?
Mr3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 20:53   #26
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3D View Post
Nice work mate!
Tho don't you think the LED cables will be a bit long?
Actually the connector that will be attached to the motherboard will be deeper between both plates and then the cables will be shorter.
Old 4th Jun 2012, 12:42   #27
Dk_vr
Multimodder

During the last few days I had some time to work on the project and this time I worked on the top most part (the fourth one) and I even had time to fix it to the rest.

This time I decided not to bore you with detailed information because the process is the same, so I am just going to show you some key moments from the construction of the fourth part, which will cover the motherboard.

Of course we have aluminum plates here too.

Again, I needed some stainless steel tubes and bolts.

And this is what all parts together look like.

I am not sure if I like the top part.
What do you think? Should I keep it like this or try to make it more aggresive?

Best Regards
Old 5th Jun 2012, 14:35   #28
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Today Cooler Master decided to sponsor me with the Cooler Master Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 fan, which I intend to use for cooling the whole structure and the motherboard with all elements on it.

Thanks for the sample, Cooler Master.

Old 6th Jun 2012, 14:27   #29
KryptiK
Minimodder

KryptiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKryptiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that's a lot of standoffs connecting the structure
KryptiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2012, 15:41   #30
whyte
Multimodder

whyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwhyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what is the fourth layer for?
whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2012, 17:16   #31
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptiK View Post
that's a lot of standoffs connecting the structure
Yes, they are a lot, but all of them were custom made for less than 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyte View Post
what is the fourth layer for?
The fourth level will hold the Cooler Master Excalibur cooling the motherboard plus will have some visual effects that are not made yet.

Some more new picture:

Old 16th Jun 2012, 22:41   #32
Dk_vr
Multimodder

After a few weeks’ wait, the motherboard kindly given to me by the Elitegroup colleagues finally arrived! I had planned to use the Elitegroup CDC-TI at the beginning but I assume it is not yet available, so Elitegroup sent me a CDC-I. The two boards have completely different structures; however I will accept this as a challenge and am going to use this one.

The motherboard itself looks like this:

The first model I had chosen was powered directly by an adaptor but this one uses power supply, so I decided to use PICO PSU

This is the mod with mounted motherboard. Of course, this is just done for the test.

I really want to thank all of the sponsors I have so far:

Old 17th Jun 2012, 04:27   #33
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
Interesting, very nice looking so far

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2012, 10:09   #34
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Love the lighting effect on the acrylic.
l3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 11:42   #35
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
Interesting, very nice looking so far
Thanks mate.
Believe me it will get even better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p View Post
Love the lighting effect on the acrylic.
Yea the effect is great, but its really hard to make the light glows the same in every mm of the acrylic plates.
Old 21st Jun 2012, 16:56   #36
whyte
Multimodder

whyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwhyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
are you going to use a pci-extender for your vid card? (cause wouldnt the fourth layer block it otherwise?)
whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 14:07   #37
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyte View Post
are you going to use a pci-extender for your vid card? (cause wouldnt the fourth layer block it otherwise?)
Well this motherboard don't have PCIx at all. I will use the integrated video card.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 17:29   #38
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
^^^ I actually thought that was a given.

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums

Last edited by Furball Zen; 23rd Jun 2012 at 16:11.
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2012, 21:03   #39
Dk_vr
Multimodder

Today I got some free time and since I got a different motherboard sponsored by Elitegroup I had to think of and prepare a new way to power up the motherboard. For that reason I had to sleeve a 24 pin cable.

I bought this as a regular 24 pin extender and modded it a bit by removing the 4 pin because I have 20pin pico PSU and the 4 pins will be useless.

The process:

The result:

This is for now, more updates on the way.
Old 28th Jun 2012, 15:35   #40
ying
Minimodder

ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ying is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
awesome project! and great work so far.

Really like your idea about the acrylic!

In my project I use black acrylic instead of aluminium and a clear illuminated acrylic too so I will follow your project very close.
ying is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode