bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 31st May 2012, 17:07   #161
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.E.L. Ambiense View Post
Ah, The international symbol for, "Don't screw with it!"

In my experience; the more expensive the gun, the crappier the packaging...
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 17:58   #162
Kylevdm
The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.E.L. Ambiense View Post

So, I consulted the pile o' scrap aluminum (aluminium to Kyle), and found a candidate that would work.
Ahhaha

Now that I have cleaned my screen, looks great dude!
Core i7 920 D0 :: Asus P6T Deluxe v2 :: 6GB Crucial BalistiX :: Asus GTX 570 :: ENERMAX Platimax 850W :: OCZ Agility 3 120GB :: 4x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
Kylevdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 18:35   #163
Cown
Multimodder

Cown has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Beautiful PSU I'm considering one for myself as well, just it being fully modular is awesome! I would have a hard time making mods to it as well lol
Old 31st May 2012, 21:46   #164
xXSebaSXx
Supermodder

xXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run CrysisxXSebaSXx can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Ah, The international symbol for, "Don't screw with it!"

In my experience; the more expensive the gun, the crappier the packaging...

??? I always thought that sticker was "geek speak" for "Please make sure that you remove this sticker and open this device to see its internals before doing anything else".
xXSebaSXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2012, 02:21   #165
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Log Update #17

Update!

Let's get to it.

Progress on the front door. I had to apply the 30+ layers of paint or whatever the hell I put on there and sand and 'weather' in between.

I decided completely apart is the way to go and then reassemble when the time comes.

And the left front outer shell...

For the PSU, I made a few more stencils.

Let's get rid of that, there. Low-tech tool; a thumbnail.

Because I wasn't going to disassemble the PSU completely since all you'll see is the one side with the fan on it once it's installed, I decided to just mask off what I needed to in order to keep the bad stuff out of the inside of the PSU.

And then I needed to rough up the paint on the PSU to give the new stuff something to stick to.

I started on weathering a bit of the paint by chipping at it. Another way of doing this is (if the medium isn't already painted) hitting it with a little water and sprinkling salt and letting it dry completely and painting over the top of the salt and simply brush it off after it's cured. Salting really works well in modeling.

There we go.

Let's mask the gal off a bit here to keep from any overspray hitting the other sides...

And ready to go!

Quick spray of some hideous color, lol, we're ready to go.

I sprayed the grill on the PSU yellow, and now I'm masking for a voltage symbol in the middle. You really probably won't be able to tell what it is when it's all done, but that's fine. It adds to the mystery, ya know?

And ready to spray.

I applied some more stencils to the PSU's body...

Carefully peeling off...

And the other side...

Again, carefully peeling...

I applied some more stencils to the center grill...

PSU all sprayed! Now I need to begin building up the weathering some more.

And the center grill mostly done. I'm adding some sprinkling of rust on it here and there as well as the PSU itself.

And the right front shell ready for some more weathering!

I'm sorry I'm not my usual jovial self; just irritated about some things (people) is all. You ever noticed that some people just rub you wrong for really no reason? Like they have something against you with absolute non-quantifiable justification? Like you don't even know this person and for some reason they dislike you and act like an ass because of it? *shrugs* I don't know if it's jealousy, stupidity, or run-of-the-mill malice. Who knows?

Anyways, that's all I have for now but I'll be back. I have some more things cooking that I need to allow to boil over soon... I'll be back. Thanks for tuning in and see ya soon!

LilyPC V.2 - completed!BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser!"Movie Sign!" - in progressCheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser!BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser!Lumière Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser!NOTalis w/ MNPCTech"Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2012, 07:10   #166
Balder
Calmer than a monk on morphine

Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I love getting in at work with my coffee to discover updates in one of my favorite logs, I'm loving the weathered look, you really have honed that skill to perfection
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 02:22   #167
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Log Update #18

Update time! Not a big one, but some progress. I spent a majority of the day enjoying the outside air at a park with the family. I love watching my son feeding a duck by hand for the 1st time.

Alright. Here we go.

Continuing the weathering/painting for the front door's plates. Let's add a little something here, shall we? Something...mischievous. Something that doesn't quite belong. Something...deviant?

Some more stencils...

Carefully peeled off and ready for masking. Just like before and it will happen again. Like Rome! Right?

And all masked off and ready for some paint.

There we go. Let it set up for a few minutes...

There! Ready for the second step...

Application...

Peeling carefully.... muhahaha...

There!

And some quick sprays later and some weathering/sanding manipulation. Why, you ask? Why not, I ask. Perhaps the tech that was using this station was a bit of a loon and felt like slapping a smiley sticker on his rig. Perhaps he wanted his mates to think he was a little off-center. Perhaps he just wanted to give himself a quick, cheap laugh while on-the-clock so he wasn't so bored. Who knows?

Let's make it a little more odd, though.

Brush, brush, brush….brush, brush, brush. HA HA!! -Pee Wee Herman

There. That's a little deviant, yes?

Let's start some rusting effects on here as well. I need to get this thing done!

On to other things for sec, I finished up on the work on the (previously) beautiful PSU. That's the only side you'll see, so that's the only side I'm messing with!

And I started messing with the block top again. Now it looks like some 'fluid of an unknown origin' was leaking around the seals or something. Apparently, it's UV-reactive too.

Alright, I'll be back. Thank you for tuning in and I'll have more to show soon!

LilyPC V.2 - completed!BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser!"Movie Sign!" - in progressCheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser!BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser!Lumière Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser!NOTalis w/ MNPCTech"Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 06:27   #168
MrWizard
Supermodder

MrWizard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/applause. I <3 Seasonic as well, and you've got more confidence than I do Jeremy, to weather the thing like that right out of the box. It came out amazing.
Gigabyte P35-DS3L | Intel E2220 @ 3.0GHz | AC Freezer 7 Pro | eVGA 8800GT 512MB | 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | 1 x Seagate 250GB SATA | 1 x WD Raptor 74GB SATA | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Silverstone Strider 600 Modular | Modded Antec Nine Hundred
MrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 17:05   #169
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Can I come up and rummage through your pile of parts? I could probably build a new rig out of your scraps. Great work on the log and I love your writing style. Sorry im late to the party but subbed none the less.

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 17:10   #170
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've been following this and i have to say theis is a brilliant build. I love the distressed effects, look really cool.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2012, 13:21   #171
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
This is all awesome E.E.L.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2012, 14:29   #172
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The smiley face just kills me
Old 5th Jun 2012, 02:02   #173
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
/applause. I <3 Seasonic as well, and you've got more confidence than I do Jeremy, to weather the thing like that right out of the box. It came out amazing.
Thanks! Honestly, you just build up a kind of "skin" for cutting/modding expensive gear. I just don't think about it. Really, the more you think about it the more possibility arises to psych yourself into committing a mistake. Just visualize what you're trying to accomplish, and make it happen. Simple as that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechh69 View Post
Can I come up and rummage through your pile of parts? I could probably build a new rig out of your scraps. Great work on the log and I love your writing style. Sorry im late to the party but subbed none the less.
Hahah, you're welcome to. I'm hoping to get a lot of this crap cleared out to make room for some other kind of crap I'm sure. Thanks for the kind words and welcome aboard. I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
I've been following this and i have to say theis is a brilliant build. I love the distressed effects, look really cool.
Thanks, man! I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
This is all awesome E.E.L.
Thanks, m8. And this is coming from someone who is making one hell of a beautiful rig from scratch. I haven't had much of a chance to really get out and play in others' logs like I used to (and I really want to!) but I have been poking in your build-log on occasion; good lord that work is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
The smiley face just kills me
Me too. I can't even really look at it in person anymore because of it. I almost regret doing it, then I realize, "what the hell", ya know?
Old 5th Jun 2012, 06:45   #174
AlderonnX
Multimodder

AlderonnX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is art... Nicely done. Its so funny i was watching NOTalis on Utube and then saw this build log. Glad to see your back at it
AlderonnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2012, 12:41   #175
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Ok, that is now my favorite PSU mod of all time..... Yes, Jeremy is a very talented Artist and was dearly missed by us, but everything is back in proper order again
Old 5th Jun 2012, 15:25   #176
Cown
Multimodder

Cown has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice job on the PSU, moar moar moar
Old 5th Jun 2012, 18:16   #177
Dragulax99
Minimodder

Dragulax99 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
still following ....amazing work BTW..
Dragulax99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2012, 03:03   #178
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

Log Update #19

Update! I haven't had a lot of time due to other things going on, but I did get a few things done that needed to be done. Done be done, done. Redundant, redundant.

Let's get to it.

I continued working on the weathering for the front door's plates. Smiley face!

Nothing worse than a rusty... well, you can see for yourself. Looks like a tetanus shot waiting to happen!

Speeding up the rusting effect. I love the really orange stuff myself.

Alright, I needed to sand down the main chassis to get it ready for some weathering love too.

Remove (temporarily) the best case feet in the world...

I need to remove everything from the chassis that isn't actually part of the chassis. That includes QC stickers too. Wow, 2007 huh? So that's when they lost their minds!

...And gone.

Those blasted top IO port cable holders that they slap on with the foam double-sided tape that seems to be from another universe.

A quick compressed air blowout to get rid of the crap...

I love to wipe everything down with some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner of some sort. You'd be amazed what kind of stuff is hiding on the very surface of your metal!

Ahhh....those feet. Enjoy them while they're still bare!

A half-hour later... nothing like a beautiful matte black on a chassis, ya know?

It's nice and all, but I'm not nearly done!

...and some case feet half-naked! Oh no!

I'll be back with some more. Thanks for tuning in and see ya really soon!

Old 6th Jun 2012, 03:59   #179
Foregasm
Multimodder

Foregasm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
NOT THE FEET!
Old 6th Jun 2012, 07:05   #180
thegyufi
Multimodder

thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I really like the paint effects you did !
thegyufi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lian li, mnpctech, s p i d e r s !, spiders, watercooling

View Mode