bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Apr 2012, 11:19   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sinclair ZX Spectrum celebrates 30 years

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum was launched 30 years ago today, kick-starting the home computing revolution.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...rum-30-years/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 11:34   #2
guvnar
Modder

guvnar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh happy days, went from Vic 20 to this...
guvnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 11:44   #3
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I had the +3, no sitting around listening to the whole silly tape for it to not load properly. I only waited about 30 seconds for it to not load properly
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 11:47   #4
Siskodata
Minimodder

Siskodata has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Got my 1st computer (ZX Spectrum) in August 1984 as I started working as a student worker. It was my second greatest purchase I had made in my live the first being a Walkman. Had computers ever since from Amigas to PCs. After the Spectrum i was going to buy a Sam Coupe but instead got an Amiga 500.

30 years ago! I am getting old.
Siskodata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 11:49   #5
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My first comp, spent many a day with my head buried in a copy of Input magazine, then spend hours typing up lines code for entertainment, which was better than holding your breath in case a game did not load, lol.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” - Frank Zappa
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:06   #6
philheckler
Used to be a pc enthusiast

philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.philheckler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I upgraded my speccy with a 48k ram pack , hard keyboard and microdrive... loveed games like - manic miner / jet set willly / elite / all the utimate games (jetpack / atic atak / sabretooth.) those were the days
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:07   #7
Flexible_Lorry
Minimodder

Flexible_Lorry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was 6 when I played Match Day at a friend's house. I learnt Z80 assembly from Andrew Hewson in Sinclair User, and made my own disassembler.. in assembly. I made a silly Space Invaders clone in BASIC then assembly. Then I made a shooting gallery sort of game. And I made a paint programme, and my own word processor. And now... I play games and do shift work
Flexible_Lorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:12   #8
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Not as good as my Commodore 64....na.na.na.na.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:32   #9
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had it's daddy, ZX81
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:44   #10
gcwebbyuk
Dib Dabbler

gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have a Spectrum +3 Action Pack collecting dust in our spare room. It was my Wife's when she was younger, and as far as we know is working. I just haven't had time to plug it in and test it out! What are these worth now - is it worth selling?

My Flickr Photostream
gcwebbyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:46   #11
favst89
Supermodder

favst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfavst89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My first experience of programming was on my dad's old spectrum, a few years older than me. I will have to dig it out when I get back home from work.
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:47   #12
cjmUK
Old git.

cjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Not as good as my Commodore 64....na.na.na.na.
This.

The Speccy was a pale imitation of the all-powerful C64, and anyone who had one was a complete loser and a dosser too. At least, that's what I told my school friends.

Manic miner, anyone?
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 12:51   #13
gcwebbyuk
Dib Dabbler

gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.gcwebbyuk is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I grew up with an Acorn Electron. I used to spend hours copying code from magazines to build programs - saving them to tape and then running to find I had mis-spelled a command at line xx. Load it up, edit, save and hey presto a little white ball moving around the screen

Happy days

My Flickr Photostream
gcwebbyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 13:11   #14
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i was more of a commodore fan, vic 20, commodore 64, amiga 500(converted with denise)added a cdrom drive, then a cd32 with sx1 module.
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 13:13   #15
Coltch
Multimodder

Coltch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Had a Speccy 48K (rubber keys) before moving onto the Commodore 64. The Ultimate games (Tranz-AM, Sabrewulf, Knightlore etc) were classics but who could forget firing up Chequered Flag in the tape deck!.

I now have a ZX Spectrum+ and Spectrum +2 hooked up and my 10 year old son loves it (not as much as Sensible Soccer on my Amiga's though), I'm even going through Sinclair BASIC with him - and realising how much of a pain in the a*** it was when you type run and got an error!
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 13:23   #16
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I still have one [possibly 2] and a zx-81 somewhere, still worked last time I checked...

might have to dust them off and have a play while TVs still have analogue tuners...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 13:53   #17
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I had a second hand 48k rubber key jobbie for a while before getting a 128k +2 for christmas in 1987. I remember exactly what year it was as that was the year that The Living Daylights was out and I had the tie in special edition pack with the HUGE box and light gun. The whole boxed set is still in my parent's loft and as far as I know still works fine (well it did last time it was used)
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 15:22   #18
ViPPeR_666
Modder

ViPPeR_666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's quite obvious that their designers were Pink Floyd fans. lol
"The Christian god can be easily pictured as virtually the same as the many ancient gods of past civilisations. The Christian god is a three-headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the calibre of the people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

John Adams
ViPPeR_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 16:21   #19
numanoid
Mod Master

numanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for presidentnumanoid should be considered for president
Awesome, i remember playing ELITE on this, had to put a stupid glass thing onto the tv screen to see the code...loved it....shooting at ferdilance ships and bloody flying saucers (who battered me) lol
numanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 16:45   #20
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes, I remember the "Lenslok" security system, bloody awful it was too but it seems the a lot of the games I liked had it.

I loved my old Speccy, the ingenuity that some of the programmers had more than made up for the lack of processing power. I really loved the isometric 3D games, Knight Lore was the first one I remember playing, loved Batman and I thought Head over Heels was just brilliant. I also reckon that I don't recall a better first release strategy game than the Lords of Midknight - I played that game to death!!
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(1)25/15/21