bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Apr 2012, 11:54   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Apple's Cook heaps scorn on Microsoft's Metro UI

Apple CEO Tim Cook has mocked Microsoft's Metro UI-led convergence plans.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-scorn-metro/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:01   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cue apple haters in 3...2...1

In defence of this Cook chap, IOS maybe be at heart Tiger or Snowleopard or what ever OS X is called this week but when you sit at a macbook you get a desktop OS when you use your iPad you get a touchscreen environment. They may have made a refrigetoaster but the toasting device is superficially separate from the fridge. MS seems to be trying to fit the heating element of the toaster into the vegetable drawer to push the image to extremes.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:08   #3
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Does anyone else think that picture of Cook makes him look like this:

Also, Metro UI=good on tablets and phones, bad on desktops and laptops.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:10   #4
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I want a refridgetoaster for my bedroom!
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:18   #5
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post

In defence of this Cook chap, IOS maybe be at heart Tiger or Snowleopard or what ever OS X is called this week but when you sit at a macbook you get a desktop OS when you use your iPad you get a touchscreen environment. They may have made a refrigetoaster but the toasting device is superficially separate from the fridge. MS seems to be trying to fit the heating element of the toaster into the vegetable drawer to push the image to extremes.
I'm certainly not an Apple hater, but I do wonder if Cook protests too much. Metro is a genuinely innovative GUI and superb for mobile touch devices. It makes iOS look dated. I agree that Microsoft has tried to converge Windows Mobile with Windows desktop too early; better to follow Apple's approach and develop two seperate product lines and carry over to the other some features that have been proven by experience to work on one. But I would not sound so cocky, unless iOS 6 is going to be an absolutely spectacular innovation, like Windows Mobile 7 was compared to Windows Mobile 6.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:25   #6
Dewi
Minimodder

Dewi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If I could be bothered to sacrifice my lunch break looking for the reference, then I'd suspect that the Steve Jobs quote was about the fact that iOS is a modified version of Mac OSX; rather then being about a plan for a grand unified Operating System.

I can't help but be sympathetic though to Cook's comments. The Metro desktop is designed for a touch screen tablet, and from what I understand the 'classic' desktop in Windows 8 isn't anywhere near as good as it is on Windows 7: hardly my idea of a universal OS. Also, I question the practicality of laptops where the primary means of manipulating the OS is though the touch screen. I use a tablet as my main web browser and media player, and a large part of the user experence is the way I hold the tablet and the gestures I use. I can't think of a way of handling a laptop that would allow me to swipe, and scrunch, and tap in anywhere near as fluid a way as I can on a tablet, simply because the tablet lies flat and you look down on it; whilst the laptop screen you look across from.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:25   #7
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Metro makes everything look dated. I have a Lumia 800 and WP7 makes Android and even iOS look amateur. I don't like the idea of Metro for the desktop, but it is an incredibly innovative design - if they hadn't forced it onto desktops I think Metro would have made the perfect phone environment, and a serious competition to the iOS and Android. As it is, it will be tarnished by association with the desktop fudge that is W8. Few will want to buy a phone using apparently the same software as Microsoft's latest unpopularity.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:31   #8
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So, when i click this Launchpad icon, it absolutely doesn't bring up iOS-like UI, right ?

Old 25th Apr 2012, 12:44   #9
lysaer
Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.
I quite like the metro ui on desktop to be honest, once you get used to it is pretty flash

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
lysaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:06   #10
thogil
Minimodder

thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewi
...and from what I understand the 'classic' desktop in Windows 8 isn't anywhere near as good as it is on Windows 7
Your understanding would be wrong then. It has a few minor improvements.
thogil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:30   #11
Dewi
Minimodder

Dewi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thogil View Post
Your understanding would be wrong then. It has a few minor improvements.
I'd certainly agree that a lot of the issues raised on the web come down to personal preference. Things like the move to the ribbon interface in windows are a welcome development. But the legacy desktop still attempts to combine the metro elements designed for tablet computers with a working environment intended for PC's using mice and keyboards.

An example would be the start menu, which has a redesigned all programmes (all apps???) submenu. This involves showing an array of apps across the screen. It's an interesting interface, but it's also shoehorning a tablet view onto a desktop screen. I've personally chossen a large monitor for my computer because I want to be able to fit more information onto my screen; not to release Microsoft to produce an interface that's larger and prettier but only ends up displaying the amount of information I could get on a 17 inch screen five years ago.

Windows 8 preview (to me anyway) ends up giving me the impression that Microsoft expect to abandon the traditional desktop interface when Windows 9 comes along. It's a bit like when you tried to set up the old style desktop in Windows Vista. It was there, and clearly had been put there to give users a choice. But the effort wasn't put in, because Microsoft wanted you to move over to the aero basic interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
So, when i click this Launchpad icon, it absolutely doesn't bring up iOS-like UI, right ?

I think the point is that it's a different OS platform. There is a difference between making two OS's look similar and getting Mac OSX Lion to run on an iPad

Last edited by Dewi; 25th Apr 2012 at 13:48. Reason: Edit was To add in a reply to faugusztin into one post
Dewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:38   #12
asmo
What's a Dremel?

asmo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can't really comment on windows 8/metro or the new OSX. I think that things are moving towards a convergence between the desktop environment and the phone environment, its kind of inevitable.

I can only comment on a similar thing that has already happened with linux. Ubuntu already did what microsoft have done. Their users weren't happy making linuxmint more popular. In fact ubuntus move to unity and Gnome 3s moving in the same direction forced the creation of MATE and Cinnamon. Personally I like XFCE/LXDE so no problems for me.

Thing is though Microsoft have moved to where apple will be in the future. Maybe Mr Cook is a little annoyed at being pre-empted. I wont be moving to Win8 though.

Both seem to be playing catch up with GNU/Linux though

Last edited by asmo; 25th Apr 2012 at 13:44.
asmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:46   #13
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hrrm how the hell is making an OS work with both mice and touch screens mixing the unmixable? If you are going to take shots at Microsoft, at least pick your battles... This one just made the Apple guy sound stupid and also makes me wonder about their future if the visionary Jobs' replacement is someone who can't even see something so simple like this.
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:49   #14
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This is a case of "get over it apple" .

sent from HTC Sensation
MOBO[ Asus Maximus Formula VI ]CPU[I7 4770K]RAM[Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 2133mhz]SSD's[1TB Samsung EVO, 256GB Samsung, 128GB Mushkin, 128 GT Corsair]GPU[Gainward GTX770 Sli]PSU[Corsair AX1200i Red Cables]SOUND[Creative soundblaster ZX E22 backplate]CASE[Corsair 540] Cooler[Corsair H100i]Screen[Dell U2913WM} Perp[Corsair K70, Logitech GS500S,Belkin razer N52TE,QPAD QH90]
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:50   #15
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
Pfft, Apple. Rip-off, PoS, snobby, elitist tossers!

I won't have anything to do with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:53   #16
rogerrabbits
Banned

rogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrogerrabbits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Haha ^
rogerrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 13:58   #17
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
As much as I'm loving metro (on a laptop, not tablet) after about 6 hours of using it, I think it's going to cause Microsoft some issues when it gets released to the people that don't like change.

Once setup correctly, it seems makes everything a lot faster getting to the applications you want. Between now and release I reckon that they'll make more improvements to it as well.

As for Apple, if there ever was an ideal time for them to release OS X as a standalone OS for PCs and price the hell out of it, this would be it IMHO - as people will have to change UI at some point, they could use it to they're advantage saying that if you're changing, you may as well change to something that is designed for all your iProducts...

Note I'm not a fan of OSX - merely stating that this would be an ideal time for Apple to gain marketshare by piggy-backing off the inevitable haters of Win8

Last edited by Brooxy; 25th Apr 2012 at 14:06.
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 14:06   #18
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooxy View Post
As much as I'm loving metro (on a laptop, not tablet) after about 6 hours of using it, I think it's going to cause Microsoft some issues when it gets released to the people that don't like change.

Once setup correctly, it makes everything a lot faster, when you want to the apps you want.

As for Apple, if there ever was an ideal time for them to release OS X as a standalone OS for PCs and price the hell out of it, this would be it IMHO - as people will have to change UI at some point, they could use it to they're advantage saying that if you're changing, you may as well change to something that is designed for all your iProducts...

Note I'm not a fan of OSX - merely stating that this would be an ideal time for Apple to gain marketshare by piggy-backing off the inevitable haters of Win8
Apple won't do that. They'd have to actually develop more than 5 drivers.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 14:13   #19
Nanu
What's a Dremel?

Nanu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooxy View Post

Once setup correctly, it makes everything a lot faster, when you want to the apps you want.

Apple won't do that. They'd have to actually develop more than 5 drivers.
Lol.
Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 14:24   #20
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And now the wait begins to see when Apple release a unified tablet/laptop/desktop OS, and associated patents so they can sue everyone else into oblivion...