bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Apr 2012, 08:54   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Corsair Obsidian 550D Review

With clever noise-reducing features and great looks, is this your next case?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-550d-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 09:22   #2
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Have been eye-balling this case for a friends build. Looks stunning and well built, but wonder would the temps drop with after-market fans instead of stock Corsair ones. I replaced all the Corsair fans in my 800D and it made between 5-10 degrees difference.
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 09:35   #3
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
any point in having quietness as a markable category? I know it would cause all sorts of problems for you testing...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 09:42   #4
Sketchee
Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Sketchee - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I like the build quality of the corsair cases and some of the design features of this, but the R3, at ~40 less, represents much better value to me. Plus the front door of the fractal also looks great and despite not having USB 3 has a much better IO panel imo. Goddamit though the rubber gromets on the R3's cable routing holes are abysmal.

I think additional fans and probably a fan controller are necessary though to strike a good balance between noise and cooling with these 'quiet' cases.
Old 27th Apr 2012, 09:43   #5
VipersGratitude
I *am* a Dremel

VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I actually had this pegged for my next case. Selling point? That the H100 fit so snugly on the top.
I'm guessing I wouldn't be alone in this...is there *any* chance of a test on temp/noise with the H100 installed?
Pretty please with cheesecake on top
Old 27th Apr 2012, 10:16   #6
suragh
Derp

suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.
You're better off buying a 650D, only 20 more and it looks much nicer.
Old 27th Apr 2012, 11:10   #7
TheLink
Modder

TheLink has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
R3 has a model that comes with a front USB now.

Also prefer the look of the R3 generally.
TheLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 18:12   #8
TheDarkSide
Modder

TheDarkSide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
am i the only one seeing that the highlighted rows in the graph are not those of the corsair??
TheDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 18:42   #9
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
I have the Carbide 500R, which costs a lot less than this and seems to be a much better case.
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 19:15   #10
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.
I find the R3 build quality too poor.

the 550D on the other hand looks set to replace my p182.
Old 27th Apr 2012, 19:28   #11
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I do like my r3 but I wish the front was made out of metal instead of plastic like the 550d.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 19:30   #12
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.
for those of your that are concerned with noise, SPR has done a review too:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1255-page8.html
Old 27th Apr 2012, 20:04   #13
teacherboy
Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

teacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Pretty much answers my question from the hardware forum - will place my order for one monday, Dark Rock Pro to go with it and i should have a pretty much silent case which is exactly what i want
teacherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 22:03   #14
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherboy View Post
Pretty much answers my question from the hardware forum - will place my order for one monday, Dark Rock Pro to go with it and i should have a pretty much silent case which is exactly what i want
Just on a side note, I have an r3 and a gelid tranquilo which are designed for 'silence' but the fan noise doesn't bother me that much, its the hard drive and the optical drive I hear the most.

I would recommend a ssd and a 5400rpm drive if you want quiet.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2012, 15:56   #15
james888
Minimodder

james888 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have always found reviews of cases that don't have many stock fans a little weak in terms of cooling reviews. I have the 550d and it didn't cool great stock, with panels on. I know have 6 fans in it. 3 front/bottom, and 3 top/back with the side panel closed. I get great cooling. If I had a less powerful system, or one with less heat, I could remove those fans and put on the panels and have a quieter system. I personally thing the highlight of the 550d is modularity.
james888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2012, 16:34   #16
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post
Just on a side note, I have an r3 and a gelid tranquilo which are designed for 'silence' but the fan noise doesn't bother me that much, its the hard drive and the optical drive I hear the most.

I would recommend a ssd and a 5400rpm drive if you want quiet.
Enabling automatic acoustic management on the HDD is also a good idea, if you still can. Bloody patent trolls.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2012, 12:13   #17
jimmyjj
Hypermodder

jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I like the look of this.

Not everyone wants to run heavily overclocked kit on benchmark runs all day. For those of us using stock clocks for normal gaming it is a nice looking well built case with adequate cooling.

Nice to see dust filters everywhere as well.
Old 29th Apr 2012, 21:50   #18
teacherboy
Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

teacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Bought one today for 105(ish) from Scan on their today only offer, plus the dark rock pro and free delivery - thanks Bit-tech - pics/impressions etc to come later in the week
teacherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2012, 10:09   #19
ravemercer
What's a Dremel?

ravemercer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just built a system for a friend using this case. It's a very well built case, the stock fans are very quiet it would have been better if they were 4pin instead of 3pin to be controlled by the mobo (maximus gene) as there was enough sockets.
We installed two additional 120mm enermax T.B quiet fans.
With all removable panels in there place and putting our msi 7970 3gb 1010ghz O.C on maximum specs with crysis 2 / dirt showdown gpu temps were 70-80'c with fans on auto. Not to bad for a quiet case with the fans covered.
Idle temps for the gpu were 37'c and web browsing and light windows 7 work we saw the temps rise to 42'c.

If we were to order all the bits again I'd invest in 5 quiet 120mm pwm fans, get a splitter for the two front fans. Saves using molex plug converters keeping things even tidier.
ravemercer is offline   Reply With Quote