bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Apr 2012, 11:11   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
GlobalFoundries announces TSV tech on 20nm

GlobalFoundries has announced it will offer through-silicon via (TSV) production at the 20nm node.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ies-tsv-20nm/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 12:00   #2
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I can see why they abbreviate it, 'through-silicon via' is one of the worst descriptions I've ever seen! Is there likely to be much demand for TSV soon? I would have thought it introduced more complications into chip design.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 13:23   #3
Jehla
Supermodder

Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
I can see why they abbreviate it, 'through-silicon via' is one of the worst descriptions I've ever seen! Is there likely to be much demand for TSV soon? I would have thought it introduced more complications into chip design.
What would you call it? Seems perfectly simple to me, a via which goes through the silicon. I am assuming these via are used to connect to the "system" under the silicone and not to other layers within the silicon.
Jehla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 14:11   #4
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Actually the vias can can connect to anything. When you stack two devices you can only reach the top layer of bottom device but with TSV you can implement a bus, not unlike the busses on PCB, that multiple devices can attach to (for example the PCI-e hub, the CPU, the graphics core and the memory for the latter two could all be packaged in a single stack, taking up much less surface area, thermals permitting).
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2012, 02:44   #5
penryn 2 hertz
I'm not a science fiction writer...

penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.penryn 2 hertz is definitely a rep cheat.
And the Yields will be big Q
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
penryn 2 hertz is offline   Reply With Quote