bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st May 2012, 12:04   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
8 Bit Spaghetti documents home computer build

Kyle Hovey is documenting his homebrew 8-bit computer, built at the TTL level, and it's a fascinating read.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...it-spaghetti/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 12:19   #2
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Proper hardcore
Old 1st May 2012, 12:23   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
major major kudos!
Old 1st May 2012, 12:31   #4
Fantus
Nothing to see here... <_<

Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fantus is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
First Paragraph - "more simpler"

That made my head hurt :P
Fantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 13:24   #5
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
somebody needs to make a cable that glows when current flows through it
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 13:39   #6
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sorry to be a Grammar/Typo Nazi but...

"The bulk of the computer is build, with testing taking place now..."

I think you meant "built"

Wonderful project. Can someone clarify if this has been built with a large number of transistors or diodes or something else? Am going to have to go and read the full article and history from scratch me thinks
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 13:51   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantus View Post
First Paragraph - "more simpler" That made my head hurt :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
Sorry to be a Grammar/Typo Nazi but... "The bulk of the computer is build, with testing taking place now..." I think you meant "built"
Me fail English? That's unpossible! (Both fixed, ta!)
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 14:50   #8
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
When i looked at the picture i thought "that's almost like something you'd make in minecraft". Then i read the third paragraph and i was like AHA!

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 15:42   #9
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Dude... awesome
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:38   #10
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
i'd like to see what it can do and how it performs, seems really interesting. of course i'm not expecting much out of it but it'd be interesting to know if it can even run a mainstream OS like linux or DOS.
Old 1st May 2012, 16:47   #11
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
i'd like to see what it can do and how it performs, seems really interesting. of course i'm not expecting much out of it but it'd be interesting to know if it can even run a mainstream OS like linux or DOS.
Not a chance: for a start, it's an eight-bit system; secondly, its entire output consists of a bunch of Nixie tubes capable of showing a number from zero to nine. While it wouldn't be *impossible* to build a computer capable of running *NIX from discrete components, it'd be prohibitively large and bankrupt you in the processes - assuming running the wiring loom didn't send you crazy beforehand.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 21:27   #12
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
This gives a whole new (or should that be "old") meaning to "I build my own computers"

Hardcore indeed.
Old 1st May 2012, 21:29   #13
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want a 3 Digit Numitron Readout, it rocks.
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:28   #14
glaeken
Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow, really cool. and I thought I was hardcore for making a full adder in my computer architecture class...
Old 7th May 2012, 04:35   #15
slothy89
MicroModder

slothy89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken
somebody needs to make a cable that glows when current flows through it
Considered EL Wire?
Case : Zalman Z9+ (filled with Xigmatek XLF fans 120mm&140mm)
Storage : 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III
slothy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:48   #16
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I agree, computers are a lot more simple at the low level than people suspect. When you break it down piece by piece and use the concept of a 'magic box that does X when I input Y', it becomes very simple.

The problem is, while I could probably spec one myself (having done no more electronics past A-level) designing one becomes very complicated very quickly. There's an awful lot of discrete components even in a simple ALU.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote