Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 4th May 2012, 18:44   #1
Cygnitr0n
Modder

Cygnitr0n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project: "1949"

Hello Bit-Tech readers,

Introduction:
My name is Stef and my alias is Cygnitr0n. Cygnitr0n is a combination of Cygnus X, Nitro and Tron. And I'm from Holland. So already I will appologize in front if the Englisch is not correct.

Let me begin:
After a few moments of thoughts and seeing some of the builds here on Bit-Tech.net. I became inspirid and now I'm planning a new project. I don't want a normal case for my PC anymore. And after building the "Obsidian Carnage" , modding my HTPC and modding the Antec Darkfleet, I was getting more experienced with the modding. So, I wanted to leap forward and making myself a real case mod.

Inspiration:
I've been inspired by the old retro look and I want to make the old, new again and bring it back in the future. But afterall in a whole new inside and purpose. It's will be a shame to let this old thing go to waste. Afterall it is a sort of legacy. I was searching for something old, nice, good looking and it must be big enough for a small PC. And I found it, a Philips BX480A.

Because I really like a nostalgic look, I will preserve it in this build. Afterall it's a MOD so I will make a few changes along the way. If it's necessary.

The Project:
It will not be a project that I would build in a short timeframe. Because this build is delicate and needs time. I want it to be perfect and restore it for a whole new purpose.

So I will give you an idea how it looks and what I'm going to Mod. This project is called "1949" and has no real name yet. The "1949" stands for the builddate from this old Radio.

Hardware:
It's gonna be an mITX build with HTPC/Media PC potentials. And I'm going to work with a lot of copper. So that was the story for my idea. Hopefully I will bring this old Radio back to life with his new purpose in the 21st Century.

And here is a picture from the old Philips BX480A .
(WHD)470 x 300 x 230 mm / 18.5 x 11.8 x 9.1 inch

This project is sponsored by:

Last edited by Cygnitr0n; 22nd Mar 2013 at 13:28. Reason: Banner
Cygnitr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 02:50   #2
MrBean
Supermodder

MrBean has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrBean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Welkom, en ek hoop jy geniet die journey.

I look forward to this one, always luv it when the old meets the new

Met vriendelike groete/with regards.
MrBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 08:44   #3
Cygnitr0n
Modder

Dank je wel MrBean!

Then we have the same taste. Love it also. And I'm really excited to build this one. Only my friends and family says that I'm crazy to demolish a radio from 1949. :P

My opinion is that I'm giving it a second life.

Groeten terug
Old 5th May 2012, 15:44   #4
Cygnitr0n
Modder

Update!

I have taken the time to make a few nice pictures in his original state. The photo's are shot with a Canon 1000D. check it out.

Hopefully you think it's nice. It's now 63 Years old!

This project is sponsored by:

Last edited by Cygnitr0n; 22nd Mar 2013 at 13:28.
Old 5th May 2012, 19:58   #5
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Love it! Can't wait to see something get modded into it aswell!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 20:45   #6
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Steampunkish? me like

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 22:16   #7
Cygnitr0n
Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Love it! Can't wait to see something get modded into it aswell!
Thanks KidMod-Southpaw. I can't either

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmannen View Post
Steampunkish? me like
Yeah, you could call it steampunkish in a way
Old 5th May 2012, 22:44   #8
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Interesting... I really like this idea, are you planning on incorporating a small screen, or will it just be a case? I'm very interested to see what you do. The radio makes me think of bioshock.

It doesn't matter if you make a mistake, it only matters if you don't learn from it
dancingbear84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 22:51   #9
Cygnitr0n
Modder

I did thought about that. And it is an option. But I got an idea for the display. But I want to focus first on the PC itself.
When you think of bioshock your really in the good direction. I was sort of inspired the environment of the game.
It will look like a sort of "steampunk" machine.
Old 6th May 2012, 04:30   #10
MrBean
Supermodder

MrBean has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrBean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Beautiful, I just luv pics of the old valve-technology. At least keep the old insides for later use - is it still working?

Last edited by MrBean; 6th May 2012 at 04:35.
MrBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 09:57   #11
Cygnitr0n
Modder

Yes, I will keep the old inside. To bad it isn't working. I've tried it. But I will use the parts for in the PC. Hope it will look awesome.
Old 6th May 2012, 13:45   #12
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Project Log Rule #2...

Moved to modding for now.

Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 22:23   #13
Cygnitr0n
Modder

~Look what I found on the internet! An ornament for this build. I fell in love with it! Bought it!
It will be the symbol (token).

It's brass baby!
Old 10th May 2012, 20:44   #14
AlderonnX
Modder

AlderonnX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ha, this looks familiar.. A fellow old radio rebuilder. I like this mod.. more pics
AlderonnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 11:07   #15
Cygnitr0n
Modder

Thanks AlderonnX

Update:

Let me give you all a short update. The update is to show wich light there will be in.
I'm using my own design PCB for the LED light. This LEDPCB is normally black but with some spray I turned it in to Bronze.
As you can see in the picture I spray the LED strip is not entirely smooth. This is a desired effect that I had not foreseen. So a good reason for an "old" look. The color of the LEDs be "Orange". These colors they had previously only. So that I would like to come back again.

EDIT: Pictures were not showing. On Page 3 you will find the LED.

Last edited by Cygnitr0n; 23rd May 2013 at 13:04.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:19   #16
B.o.B
Minimodder

B.o.B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How cool is this. I love old radio's and record players, and that emblem is going to make a nice addition =) sub'd and watching.
B.o.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 09:27   #17
Zeameth
What's a Dremel?

Zeameth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
really interesting idea putting it inside that old wireless good luck
Zeameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 10:22   #18
Williz
Supermodder

Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.
Really nice start to your mod, I am liking the LEDs especially.
Williz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 12:08   #19
Cygnitr0n
Modder

Thanks guys, I'm still moving into my new house. That's why you haven't heard a thing. This project is still alive, and wonders are planning

to be continued.
Old 8th Aug 2012, 07:12   #20
Steve_of_Death
Minimodder

Steve_of_Death has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is gonna be an amazing mod, i wish you luck with your future modding
Steve_of_Death is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode