bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th May 2012, 17:57   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
KingMax goes after OCZ with sub-1000 1TB SSD

KingMax has launched a 1TB 2.5in SSD in Japan which retails for under 1,000.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...1000-1tb-ssd/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 18:53   #2
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Coming from a place where counterfeit products like this are rife, and where flash drives and memory cards are sold (badly) formatted to WAY above their actual capacity (a 256MB pen drive configured and formatted to appear as a 32GB drive, for instance), I'd have to say "Seems Legit" on this one.
Old 7th May 2012, 19:51   #3
SaNdCrAwLeR
Multimodder

SaNdCrAwLeR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is Japan...
not China...
SaNdCrAwLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 21:20   #4
misterd77
Multimodder

misterd77 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
as a system drive, its lifespan would be around 4 yrs, so yeah, great value....NOT
misterd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 06:09   #5
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingemuncher
as a system drive, its lifespan would be around 4 yrs, so yeah, great value....NOT
Based on what?
Old 8th May 2012, 08:37   #6
misterd77
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
Quote:
Based on what?
based on the fact that ssd's performance gets worse over time as the read/write cycle takes its toll......ssd's only have a limited number of writes.....iv got optical drives from 1999 that still work, still protecting data, I doubt you would be able to say that about ssd's 12yrs from now....unless its been switched off for that period...
Old 8th May 2012, 08:59   #7
KiNETiK
Multimodder

KiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
I am not sure your lifespan figures are correct, and to be honest it looks like its very dependant on the drive.

If you have a look at this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...e-25nm-Vs-34nm there has been some extensive testing of ssd writes and most modern SSDs seem to start to fail after ~250-500TB of write data, with the Corsair Force 3 managing over 1000TB!

As one user posts, even with an average of 20GB written to the drive everyday, that would still translate to only 36TB of data written over 5 years. Therefore, even the worst drives are surely going to outlast any system build.

I am no expert on this but based on what I have read your assumpotion of SSDs seems to be incorrect unless you can show me otherwise?
KiNETiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 09:22   #8
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
based on the fact that ssd's performance gets worse over time as the read/write cycle takes its toll......ssd's only have a limited number of writes.....
But you've taken a known fact (That flash memory can only re-write a certain number of times) and extrapolated that to a figure (4 years) without demonstrating you have uses sound logic to make this connection.

Basically, show us your math along with your sources, and obviously don't forget to include the over provisioning figures in your calculations.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 17:57   #9
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
the failure rate for flash will probably be higher than the service life. Not to mention mechanical drives do suffer from mechanical failures which are sudden at catastrophic
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 07:52   #10
misterd77
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Quote:
based on the fact that ssd's performance gets worse over time as the read/write cycle takes its toll......ssd's only have a limited number of writes.....
But you've taken a known fact (That flash memory can only re-write a certain number of times) and extrapolated that to a figure (4 years) without demonstrating you have uses sound logic to make this connection.

Basically, show us your math along with your sources, and obviously don't forget to include the over provisioning figures in your calculations.
really !, id like to see you counter my case with the same credentials, which you havnt, you just posted a link, try harder next time
Old 13th May 2012, 08:14   #11
misterd77
Multimodder

1st and 2nd generation ssd's are already starting to fail, iv lost count how many iv had to replace in the last 3 months alone, my reps are going mental with the cost, although, those drives were involved in audio and video streaming, probably doing around 200gb per day, still, id expect an optical drive to last at least twice as long as an ssd in that situation, im going from what happens in my life, not a flow chart in lab conditions...ssd's are improving, but not nearly as much as I would expect, the only thing that my company likes em for, is the speed, but the failure rate and the cost is a major flaw....and sticking to the article, a 1tb ssd just makes no sense given the price, especially given the performance that iv seen over the last 3 yrs.
Old 13th May 2012, 08:21   #12
misterd77
Multimodder

do the math, even if the drive lasts 8 yrs, (which it wont), thats 175 per yr your paying for your storage, an optical drive is TEN times cheaper, it used to be the fact I had to replace RAM modules before hdd's, thats not the case anymore......which is quite ironic...