1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 9 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Now for good comparison get the cheapest Z77 board u can find and do the same tests.

3. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

It seems this is the board to buy if you want to build a Z77 based hackintosh. It's recommended on Tonymacx86 and has native wake/sleep for OS X (which is a big plus for hackintosh builds) plus other boards from Asus, MSI could have Power Management problems with locked MSR in their UEFI.

It may be a very niche field, but I feel it's worth pointing out that if you're building a hackintosh, this is the board to get.

4. Lethal

Lethal What's a Dremel?

For me, it's not down to having more PCI slots but more to do with my motherboard not looking so cramped. By the time you put a beefy GFX card and custom CPU cooler in the Gene there will be no space, especially now that GFX cards are getting bigger. Plus the issue of them letting off heat so close to each other. I do love the look of the Gene a lot more though, just waiting for the ROG ATX version to come out and providing its price and test results, probably go with that.

5. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

good review! can't wait for the rest of the Z77 motherboards to pass by the bit tech labs.

6. Nanu

Nanu What's a Dremel?

Hi bit-tech,

Any chance you can compare the sata performance on all the SATA ports?
    I use 7 SATA drives on my ASUS board, the 3rd party controller ports were always a bit slow, so I moved back to the native chipset supported ones, when I filled all these up and stated using the third party controllers again they became unreliable.

I've read that certain companies always have trouble with their controllers and reliability, and when you're spending over £150 on a motherboard I'd really like to know that I can run all 8 ports without problems.

Also, since when was £159 reasonable for a motherboard? this price would have me looking straight to a x79 chipset... even though to get a real nice x79 you have to spend an extra £20, who wouldn't?

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I've had a £75 Z77 mobo in, but it only OC'd to 4.4GHz and lacked SLI, overclock recovery and lots of similar useful gubbins. You gets what you pay for, with the usual caveat of diminishing returns etc etc.

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

If you're not heavily overclocking (God forbid on Bit-Tech!), would you say a £75 Z77 board would happily replace the Z68 in the Affordable All-Rounder? After all, you get an extra SATA 3gig port, PCI 3 and USB 3 for virtually the same price...

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I want to know if a very cheap motherboard with same the chip-set has the same performance as a very expensive motherboard. I am not talking about overclocking but day to day usage. Let it go through all the benches you normally do and see how the cheap motherboards stand against high end motherboards. Then compare what stands out on feature sets and conclude if the final outcome makes the high end motherboard price worthy compared to cheaper alternatives.

The SLI remarks are getting quite annoying since using a single mid/high end graphics cards nowadays can play almost all PC games with good frame rates. Can you honestly say that having two graphics cards like for example a 580 or 7950 or even current high end cards like the 680 and 7970 makes any noticeable differences in game play?

And does overclocking CPU's today really giving you any advantage. I think it is more a sport now then there is a need for it. In the past overclocking a celleron 300A was really giving a speed boost and could save money. But overclocking a processor now you probably not even going to noticed 500mhz increase.

Tags: Add Tags