bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th May 2012, 12:15   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Mod Gods - More Of The Best PC Mods Ever

We've got thousands of projects on our forum, but here are some of our all-time favourites

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case...-ever-part-2/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 12:58   #2
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Holy Crap! Cold Fusion is A-Mazing!

Definitely one of the best mods I've seen, and amazing to see what the case originally looked like.

I've never seen these before! Temple of Nod is great too!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I - 8GB 1866 - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80 - 450W SFX

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 13:05   #3
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
One of our favourites too! Sadly we couldn't dig up any more images of it. The same goes for quite a few other 'old greats' but we're in the process of contacting the various makers to see if they can reinstate their image hosting accounts/send us some pics.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 13:28   #4
hyperion
Supermodder

hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.
Incredible mods. Don't forget to include gnome's WMD in the next feature And probably end them with Acronym; that was so epic.
hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 13:52   #5
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I can remember having an ORAC poster (BT competition prize) on my bedroom wall for a while and only a couple of weeks ago I was in a cheap book shop looking at a book called PC Hotrods and there was ORAC on the cover of that too.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 14:10   #6
D B
Supermodder

D B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Heavy Metal by Cord-8
Old 11th May 2012, 14:29   #7
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does it erk anyone else when you see a WONDERFUL case mod and the modder just tosses in some junk hardware!
In other news, ive read all those logs before and they are great.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 14:55   #8
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
I still have a few hundred ORAC3 posters... shame that tubes (and postage) cost so much as to make their distribution less economical.

Feel free to shout if you *really* want one (or 20)
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 15:09   #9
Hot Nikks
What's a Dremel?

Hot Nikks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Count me as one of the many who 1st came to Bit-Tech via a link to Orac project. I'm still amazed by the craftsmanship and design.
Hot Nikks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 15:10   #10
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking back at these sometimes fills me with nostalgia, and sometimes with indifference;

They all are examples of excellent beasts for their time period - True projects of their craftsmen. Yet they seem so "busy" in today's era of murdered out monoliths with excellent cable management.

More specifically though, I think it's just ORAC3 that throws me for a bit of a loop. Sure, everything ever has been customized, but what good does it do? You can't see a thing in that case, and servicing anything in there must be far beyond a nightmare. Still, a lot of work went into it, and you really have to appreciate that level of passion.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 16:01   #11
Combatus

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
More specifically though, I think it's just ORAC3 that throws me for a bit of a loop. Sure, everything ever has been customized, but what good does it do? You can't see a thing in that case, and servicing anything in there must be far beyond a nightmare. Still, a lot of work went into it, and you really have to appreciate that level of passion.
I think there are two types of project and whether they're mods or scratchbuilds is irrelevant. You have one that's awesome but still practical, and another that's built purely on the theme 'I did it because I could'. ORAC falls into the latter - I guess you could say it simply doesn't matter how difficult it will be to work/live with etc. The maker simply followed his vision and accepted all the issues having a PC like that would bring.

It's indulgence in the extreme - I think it's this it throws you for a bit of a loop. As PC enthusiasts we're more focussed on the best efficiency and performance, so building something in a way that will probably make it less so goes against the grain. I think it's why projects like this are so rare as well.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:34   #12
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so far I've been a little surprised by the choices. Not to say any of them have been bad choices, because I definitely agree that these are all incredible cases and show some astounding workmanship and creativity, but honestly they all have a fairly similar feel to me. Incredible levels of detail seems to be the winning factor here. What about cases that perfect a minimalist style design? Cases like Cygnus X1 or Sinus?

I realize this compilation still has a few installments before your finished, but I'm just surprised no cases like that have been mentioned yet because in my mind, high levels of detail aren't always the best.

Again I absolutely agree that all the mods listed are top notch and they all seem to achieve a balance of incredible detail without seeming busy, but personally I'd like to see some cleaner builds on here too. There are lots of builds like that that I think deserve a spot on this list.

just my .02 Loving these articles so far, it's like a trip down memory lane!
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 16:53   #13
faxiij
Multimodder

faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
see above! i still miss some mods that had far more impact than the nod one - cygnus, sinus or wmd are great examples. those seriously shook the community. especially cygnus and sinus combined form and function in a way and with a simplicity and beauty that still impresses me deeply whenever i revisit the pics of those mods. so thrilled to see the next feature coming!
faxiij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 17:40   #14
Sleepstreamer
I modded christmas!

Sleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My builds aren't even playing the same game as Orac and the likes, but I even so I still feel seriously honored by this article!
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo 1989
FSP - AC Ryan - Matrix Orbital - ASUS - G.Skill - Nexustek
Sleepstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 22:57   #15
Combatus

Oh come on Sleeps, you're a Mod God, just admit it
Old 11th May 2012, 23:35   #16
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2003/09/15/vesperdeco/1

is still my favourite ever case mod. simply beautiful.
Old 12th May 2012, 01:11   #17
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Bloody hell....I am supposed to pick a favourite from those?! All of them are beautiful..works of art every one. My congrats to those modders..damn!

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 03:31   #18
D B
Supermodder

D B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
To those that think ORAC3 is too busy .. it was done that way on purpose to match a TV show Blakes 7 (I too was first drawn to B-T by it, and yes, it does look busy)
that and Cord-8's Heavy Metal .. the truck like chassis, go cart wheels, radio control, and a tachometer converted to a CPU load meter was too cool (why can I find no mention of it anywhere? ... here are some pics I saved way back when ... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Heavy%20Metal/ ...
Old 13th May 2012, 07:36   #19
sub routine
Archie Gemel

sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
hmmm, beyond the grave on a flowery table clothmade me lolalittle. But apart from that they all look sweet, i might have a garage of my very own soon and I`m feeling inspired.
sub routine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 11:31   #20
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Good call on Orac3, that's got to be one of my all time favourites.

GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote