bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th May 2012, 11:13   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Intel details 10nm, 7nm, 5nm process roadmap

Intel has released slides claiming that research has begun on 10nm and below process nodes.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...cess-roadmap/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:24   #2
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
MOAR TRANSISTORS!

Doesn't seem that long ago that I was getting excited for 45nm... 65nm seemed small enough already at that point.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:24   #3
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
Or just MOAR thermal issues ?

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:31   #4
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Good point. Someone should tell Intel to stop following Moore's law. We don't want moar transistors.

I would like to think alternative semiconductor designs will deal with any thermal problems. Surely that is what they would be working on?
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:39   #5
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.
I beg to differ, we do want MOAR transistors, but we want them without needing LN2 to keep the CPU cool at stock speeds lol

I'm guessing they're already thinking about how to deal with the thermal issues given the poor thermal properties of Ivy Bridge.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:58   #6
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizdaemon666
I'm guessing they're already thinking about how to deal with the thermal issues given the poor thermal properties of Ivy Bridge.
Care to clarify that? Thanks to 22nm and Tri-Gate, Ivy Bridge CPUs have a lower TDP than their Sandy Bridge predecessors. Specifically, both the 3770K and the 3570K have a TDP of 77W, against 95W for the 2700K and 2500K. The IB processors also apparently perform at least as well if not better in every situation at both stock and OC settings, have a faster GPU, and OC better. Doesn't sound like poor thermal performance to me.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:08   #7
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.wuyanxu is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Care to clarify that? Thanks to 22nm and Tri-Gate, Ivy Bridge CPUs have a lower TDP than their Sandy Bridge predecessors. Specifically, both the 3770K and the 3570K have a TDP of 77W, against 95W for the 2700K and 2500K. The IB processors also apparently perform at least as well if not better in every situation at both stock and OC settings, have a faster GPU, and OC better. Doesn't sound like poor thermal performance to me.
it's called Heat Density.

the CPU itself is great, performs well as you said. but the processor as a product is disappointing due to the poor thermal interface materials used between the die and the heatspreader. hence the "heat issue" mentioned.

solution is to change manufacturing process by soldering the heatspreader onto the die. at least that should work for a few years until 7nm made the "heat issue" resurface.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:55   #8
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
At this rate, Intel will need to work on their molecule-shrinking technology to keep Moore's law going.
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:04   #9
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
both chips under stock settings stock cooler reach about a similar temparature

once overclocked is the temp dif

at 4.5ghz the temps are aproaching 100c on most poor air coolers really do need a decent chip + cooler to get a overclock going
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:30   #10
Fat Tony
fast as you can and don't fall off

Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fat Tony is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looking forward to the first picometer chips
i7 3930 @ 4.7Ghz : Asus Rampage IV Extreme : 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 2133Mhz : 512Mb Crucial M4 : ANTEC High Current 1200W : 2 x GTX570 SLi : Swiftech Apogee HD : XSPC dual bay res / pump : Custom water loop with 1 x 360 rad, 1 x 140 rad, CPU, GPU SLi, North and South blocks : CM Storm Spawn mouse : Logitech G15 : Creative X-Fi USB : Corsair Obsidian 800D : Crappy DGM 26" 1920 x 1200 monitor : Sennheiser PC350s : Belkin Nostromo : Alarming beer habit
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:34   #11
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.noizdaemon666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post

the CPU itself is great, performs well as you said. but the processor as a product is disappointing due to the poor thermal interface materials used between the die and the heatspreader. hence the "heat issue" mentioned.

solution is to change manufacturing process by soldering the heatspreader onto the die. at least that should work for a few years until 7nm made the "heat issue" resurface.
As Wyx said to be honest. Just because they have a lower TDP doesn't mean they have better temperatures. As others have said OC temps are abysmal.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:39   #12
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Why not do a 32core at lower speeds with more cache. I really do not care if the processor takes 5x5cm or 1x1cm of space. In idle mode let 31 cores sleep to save loads of energy.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:46   #13
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
Why not do a 32core at lower speeds with more cache. I really do not care if the processor takes 5x5cm or 1x1cm of space. In idle mode let 31 cores sleep to save loads of energy.
Pointless processor is pointless, at least in a consumer environment. You're hard pressed to find software that utilises anything more than 4 cores, let alone 32. In a server environment though, it'd be a good move.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:09   #14
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
I'm no expert in processor design, but how about spacing the four/six cores out on a bigger chunk of silicon, and adding the system RAM to fill the spaces in between ?

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 14:30   #15
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

But then RAM wouldn't be upgradeable, at least not without removing the IHS.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:37   #16
jon
Multimodder

jon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I, for one, welcome our sub molecular overlords ...
Old 14th May 2012, 15:24   #17
Jezcentral
Multimodder

Jezcentral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When I see stuff like this, I begin to wonder if something DID crash at Roswell.
Jezcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 15:31   #18
mecblade
14 year old Technophile

mecblade has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmecblade has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmecblade has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizdaemon666
The main reason for the poor thermal properties is the use of TIM (as Wuyanxu has stated) rather than Fluxless solder. A japanese review site managed to get a 14-24 degree Celsius reduction in temperature by using Coolaboratory TIM.

http://www.techpowerup.com/165882/TI...After-All.html
mecblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 15:33   #19
mattbailey
Multimodder

mattbailey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezcentral
When I see stuff like this, I begin to wonder if something DID crash at Roswell.
Something did! Officially a weather balloon!
mattbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 15:45   #20
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmclean007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu

It isn't really heat density. Heat density is a measure of thermal output per unit area / volume (depending on context). The issue you are describing is more about thermal conductance.

Anyway, nomenclature aside, I understand the point - IB chips get hotter than they would if the process was different - but the temperature in itself is pretty meaningless. What counts is how the chip performs, and (heat issue or no heat issue) IB chips are epic.