Motherboards Maximum V Gene CMOS/no CPU fan error.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by deancolt45, 20 May 2012.

1. deancolt45

deancolt45 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, building a new computer as of yesterday, have all the relevant parts, came to the end of completing it, computer will boot, but claiming there is no CPU fan, will not let me get into BIOS, will switch off after 15 seconds, anyone know about this issue with Asus Maximum V Gene boards?

Also, after reading about resetting the CMOS via the switch on the back, I tried that, however with my battery on the motherboard out, now I can not even power on the motherboard, is that usual? IS there a fix for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, kind regards.

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

First thing to check is that the CPU fan is plugged into the correct header. There are two CPU fan headers on the board, both of which are 4 pin. They are labelled 'CPU_FAN' and 'CPU_OPT', and are located behind the VRM heatsink, above the CPU, on the edge of the board. Make sure your CPU fan is plugged correctly into the one labelled 'CPU_FAN'. (If you had this wrong, please read the manual and check everything else is installed correctly).

If that is fine, does the CPU fan spin when switched on?

To access the Bios, you need to be pressing the 'Delete' key on your keyboard, not F1 as your other thread suggests you're doing. Just keep tapping in from the moment you switch the computer on until the EFI bios appears. See if it's detecting a fan attached to the CPU_FAN header.

In regards to your CMOS battery, what are you trying to do here? Switch your machine on without the battery installed at all? If so, please go back and actually read the manual as to the correct procedure to clear your CMOS. I can guarantee that it doesn't say anything about starting your machine without a battery installed. Just put the battery back in, and it should start again.

Regarding your graphics card problem from the other thread (easier to keep everything in one place, please do so in the future), I'm not entirely sure. Let's get the computer to boot with the 8800 first shall we, then we can see about sorting that issue, but it could be numerous things, such as an insufficient PSU, cables not connected properly, or the card itself not seated properly.

3. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

I had the same problem with my Maximus V Gene, however I could get into bios by pressing delete and telling it to ignore fan warning (there are two fans available for cpu). Try another keyboard to boot into bios.

4. deancolt45

deancolt45 What's a Dremel?

Apologies for slow reply and the double posting, didn't realise moderator had to approve it and it's been a while so reposted. Actually also started a new threat today but yet to be approved as problem is completely different now, have to type on phone die to lack of a computer ... Basically here is the current problem...

Gene V issue, no display, code 20, Second board
    Hi I posted previously about issues I was having with my first Maximum Gene V motherboard, the replacement finally arrived, connected everything, tried to boot, no display, tried a couple of monitors, two sets of wires, the onboard HDMI port, reset CMOS, updated BIOS, tried two graphics cards, no luck. I then bit the bullet and decided it was not the board but must be processor or RAM so bought a replacement stick of RAM and a cheaper processor to test.... still no display, I have either error code 22 or 20 depending on the processor I use, I have NO idea what to do next and spent so much already, please could some one advise... it must be the board right?? Shouldn't be power supply as its a corsair tx750w

5. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Why can't it be the psu? You've changed the mobo, ram and cpu. And tried different gfx cards. Only the psu left to change.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Firstly, is it in a case? Take it out your case and put it on the desk so you can see.

On the right hand side by the ATX socket and GO button there are LEDs. Each says "DRAM LED" "VGA LED" "BOOT DEVICE LED" etc. This will tell you where it stops and the problem is.

A code 20 is new to me sorry.

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/maximus-v-gene-2.jpg

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you probably missed something.. make sure the 8 pin is plugged in upper left of the cpu