bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

View Poll Results: Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?
Pumps facing backward 16 43.24%
Pumps facing forward 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th May 2012, 20:20   #1
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Hi all

Project Sponsors:

New to bit-tech but thought i would share my build log here aswell. I have been working on a desk build, the intention is to incorporate the PC and all water cooling components. I would also like to say big ups to l3p for the l3p d3sk build as that was a big inspiration for my build. I started the build in April so have made some progress to date but still have a way to go.
Sorry if images are a little blurry, took em wit my phone.

I started off with good'ol sketchup, working on the main design and concept, took many iterations due to finding a supplier that could bend square tubing the way I needed it, but finally found one that could help.

Finally went to go pickup the frame components

It begins!! the mild steel components for the frame.

Managed to get some workshop time in, can only really work on it on saturdays.

Started off by machining out the DVD Drive slot.

Done on both sides

Then started machining the cutouts for the glass, the mild steel started getting a little to flexible for the from frame component so ended up changing the design slightly, dont have a pic at the moment of that.

Squared off the DVD bay slot and filed it down.

got most support struts cut to size and mocked it up.. Other piece was still in the milling machine..

Finished off machining the parts and started laying out the main frame

Tacked up the main body

This was the last piece I machined that wasn't in the previous pics, its got the cutout for the glass to fit.

Got the legs on and did full weld's

Cleaned the welds and added a front support piece as the main body was a little shaky

Done for the day..

Small update, just cleaned up the top of the legs an did LOTS of measuring so i can re-draw and order the aluminium with laser cutting. But the frame is now officially complete

Then went back to sketchup to make sure all dimensions and drawing were correct for the laser cutting.

All the laser cut parts, crap photo though

This is the one fan grill that will be used on the leg to house the rad, design is Squigly cubed.. as in Squiglys box.. this will go on the outside of the right leg

This is the inside right leg grill, so inside the leg will be 8 x 180mm fans on the 1080 radiator (push pull).

Mobo tray, cant really see in the photo the drill marks for the mobo risers.

Busy useing press break for the HDD trays.

HDD trays done, i will have another mounting mechanism for the SSD's, will only use 2 storage drives.

Basically how they will be mounted.

Just put most pieces in, they not mounted just yet, was just checking fitment

Then got to the tricky bit, doing the small radius roll.. this was the smallest i could roll it..

So ended up doing a bit of a jig to get it down correctly..

Then did the easy roll's

They worked out PERFECTLY!!!!

Yet another Saturday so got to do some work on it again

Managed to order and pick up some rivnuts during the week, will be needing them to mount all the cladding to the case since the 1.5mm of the mild steal won't really be enough to tap and hold the aluminium. got 200 M4 rivnuts and hex head bolts.. yup, got me some drilling to do...

These are the rivnuts and bolts I will be using

So decided to check fitment of a few more bits before I started my drill mania.. took one of the rubber grommets from my 600t to check if it fits in the hole i had laser cut for the HDD cables..

Who's yer daddy... fits like a charm!

also took in my old mobo in to make sure all was well with the mobo tray and to check if i would have any issues with the cable management.

So far so good then was looking at the hole on the left side, I new the support beam was going to interfere with the hole from when i did the original design.. but knew I could get my cables through anyways..

but then thought to myself...

Im building a custom ring, why the fudge do i wanna make myself struggle to get cables through... so cut out a section...

Be gone!!

Then welded in a filler..

Happiness is :cool: no more support beam interfering with the hole..

Ok cool, so now time to start mounting, measuring, clamp.. measure again... measure 1 more time to be sure.. and then.. DRILL!!!

Oooh more holes....

The riveted the rivnuts..

and finally.. first panel mounted...

And so the rest of the day went... and after a measly 50 holes and rivnuts.. this is where it stands...

So back into the corner till next weekend... cant wait to get the rest of the panels on!!!!

Last edited by Squigly; 26th Jan 2013 at 17:55.
Squigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 22:46   #2
aevitas
Supermodder

aevitas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Woah sweet mother!

Looking awesome, and good attention to detail is crucial, so good job doing that early on already.

Can't wait to see how this progresses, so I subbed.

What colours are you thinking of as far as the desk goes?

Keep up the good work!
Old 21st May 2012, 00:23   #3
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Damm! That is hell of a job. Well done,mate.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 00:35   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How the hell are you going to transport that thing once it's complete? o.O

Anyways, nice design there and great craftsmanship!

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 00:36   #5
Bladesingerz
Hypermodder

Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Bladesingerz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Awesome design! Very good progress so far, oh and I love the idea of a 1080 radiator inside the leg of the desk!
Sub'd!
Bladesingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 09:52   #6
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks all

Im still playing with a few ideas for the paint (open to some suggestions).. the frame will be powder coated black. For the main body I am thinking possibly high gloss black, in a mirror finish with some custom paintwork that i will do, the very front and back will probably remain in silver and get polished..

For the water cooling i was originally planning on using crystal links.. but have desided to go with copper tube that will be rolled to requirement (already got the tool for it ) and then those will be nickel plated, along with the bases of my water blocks for the GPU's as those are also currently copper.. I will be using UV blue fluid and have some clear components for some of the water cooling (D5 dual mod top etc)

So basically black silver and blue is the thinking for the moment..

As for transporting this behemoth... hmm yes well.. that's going to be a challenge so am looking at possibly adding castors, but would prefer them to be motorized to come in and out when i need to move the desk.. still playing with a few idea's there...

Will post up a list of components that will be going into the desk once complete a little later today.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:47   #7
Winkston
Minimodder

Winkston has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
EXCELENT WORK 5*
Winkston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 11:02   #8
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Subbed! this is top quality!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 11:24   #9
matiss
Multimodder

matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.
Very nice design that differs a bit from the "usual" desk.
matiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 11:39   #10
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming SaiyanKidMod-Southpaw is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It looked like a sled at first!
Great work! Keep it up!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 22:02   #11
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great design, and great progress!

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:20   #12
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkston View Post
EXCELENT WORK 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
Subbed! this is top quality!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmannen View Post
Great design, and great progress!
Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiss View Post
Very nice design that differs a bit from the "usual" desk.
Cool, exactly what i was going for, scratch all drawers and non related items

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
It looked like a sled at first!
Great work! Keep it up!
yea if only santa dropped it off for me
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:27   #13
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Nice start, will be watching this one.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:41   #14
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Well thought i would give an update of the components that will eventually be in the desk, these are all in my current rig (in a corsair 600T)

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
i7-2600K @ 4.7GHz
2x Gainward GTX 580 3GB
Antec 1200 HCP
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
120 GB Corsair Force GT SSD
1TB Western Digital Black Cavier 64mb Cache
1.5TB Samsung Drive
2x EK-FC Link GeForce ( for EK SLI Bridges )
EK-FC Bridge DUAL parallel 3-Slot
2x EK-FC5X0 GTX GW Back plate (black)
2x EK-FC5X0 GTX Gainward Copper/Acetyl Water Blocks (will be nickel plating the copper)
Bitspower Black sparkle fittings & stop plugs
XSPC RayStorm CPU Water Block
Some UV lighting for that bling factor :-p

And some bits i still need to order..

Phobya XTREME NOVA 1080 Radiator
Bitspower Dual D5 Mod Top (Acrylic Version) - UV Blue
2x Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit - Black Sparkle Finish
Koolance Flow Meter
Phobya Temperature Sensor with Display - Blue
SilverStone Slim DVD±R
Bitspower X-Station Power-Extension II - Male Version - UV
2x 120 GB Corsair Force GT SSD
Aqua Computer aqua tube reservoir
Aqua Computer filter

ok.. its official... i have CUD's bad.... (compulsive upgrade disorder)

Last edited by Squigly; 23rd May 2012 at 11:10.
Old 23rd May 2012, 00:07   #15
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
WOW!

Next time please pm me, man I wouldn't want to miss this
A real honor to read that I inspired you mate, really .. thanks!

Best thing ... you're even improving it!

Goodluck on everything and I will be following closely
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:35   #16
Foregasm
Multimodder

Foregasm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
duuuuudde. i'm freaking speechless. the design is amazing, and the execution is just breathtaking. great work. sub'd
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:20   #17
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Thanks again all, really glad to see it being so well received..

well since i can only get to the workshop on Saturdays i started stripping down my screens... I will be running surround setup on 3 screens (unfortunatly not 3d just yet but maybe in the future) but the problem i have is that they are 3 dirrefernt screens, and Acer H233H, and the 2 samsung syncmaster's, one 2333 and one 2370... so they dont all look unifirm and the 2370 does not have VESA mount.. so i was playing with the idea of getting 3 new screens to replace them... but that just takes CUD funds away from some of the other components i still need to get...

So...

I stripped down my screens and luckily they all have the same metal bezel... i now plan to make my own monitor "case" for each monitor so they look more uniform.. also the metal bezel is only 4mm vs the 12 - 30mm bezel of the plastic covers... so will be able to set them up in portrait or landscape.. need to get back to sketchup to plan it all out, but that is the intention moving forward
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:11   #18
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yes Yes not bad I liked the comment WTF is this **** LOL
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:23   #19
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
OMG, another amazing desk build. Top modding dude.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:03   #20
alain-s
Supermodder

alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.alain-s is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking good love the round curves in the side. Keep up the good work.

View Mode