bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

View Poll Results: Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?
Pumps facing backward 16 43.24%
Pumps facing forward 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th May 2012, 11:57   #21
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
haha, custom monitor frames with your skills! Can't wait!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 14:33   #22
Stem83
Addicted to modding.

Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is looking so nice, it seems like the whole case/desk build are becoming more n more popular, and it really opens up the ability to keep things new and more ideas flow.
Thats gonna look so nice when its done.
Stem83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 14:54   #23
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
This is already looking pretty awesome! I think I'll be following this!
Old 24th May 2012, 15:08   #24
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks awesome so far. If your going to do some custom paint designs on it, why not leave the rest naked with just a protective clear coat. Naked metal = DOOOIIIINNNGGG!!!!

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 15:33   #25
Mimic
Minimodder

Mimic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
gotta love it when true craftsmen get unleashed on their own projects, top job dude.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:37   #26
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really appreciate all the comments!! to many to mention individually so please excuse the blanket thank you!!

A few responses though, @ The_Crapman.. interesting ideal.. every time i grind down the frame to clean off a weld i must say.. i look at the cleaned steel and think.. oooooohhhh puuuuurdy so will maybe end up doing that.. the front and back (not shown in any images yet) will be in brushed aluminium.. so will only get a clear coat.. but will maybe also leave the frame..

On the screens, i have been playing with a few idea's and have thrown a quick concept drawing together..

At first i was thinking of a single frame for all monitors but thought i may want to change the orientation of the screens or change the angle etc... I am also not feeling the square backs to the screen covers.. so was thinking more a gentle curve, almost bubble..

The question is... aluminium or fiberglass... if it gets sprayed i guess it makes no never-mind.. but wanted to get some opinions..
Squigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 13:48   #27
daletur328
Minimodder

daletur328 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Don't know how I missed it, but great build so far, sub'd.
Think fiberglass would be easier, reduce weight on any stand, easier to form odd shapes.
And another material used!
daletur328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 14:19   #28
Zeameth
What's a Dremel?

Zeameth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks great cant wait to see it finished
Zeameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 20:55   #29
KoSoVaR^
Professional Sleever & Modder

KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Very impressing build dude !
I like it a lot
SUBBED!
KoSoVaR^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 17:33   #30
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks again all!!

well another Saturday passed so more work done.. oddly enough was busy the whole day but didn't feel i got that much done on it.. so only a few pics.. sorry i dont have more to show..

Started off by grinding some of the overhang i had on some of the panels, neatening things up.. and of course grinding leads to sharp edges..

the obligatory injury shot..

Note to self: Dont try catch a falling piece of aluminium if you just finished grinding it...

Anyways, carried on with the cladding got the outside leg panels and the rolled plates properly mounted

the leg it almost totally covered, i also bent the bottom plates but like a muppet didnt take any pics...

Even gave it a little winter blankie... awwww.. puke.

so that's it for now, also spent a lot of time marking up where the buttons will go and measuring out the power and sata cables... hmmm now to find 2m sata... wheres that google thingy...

Squigly out..
Old 26th May 2012, 23:13   #31
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Really enjoy this buildlog!

I don't think you will find 2m sata cables easily as the maximum length by spec is 1.5m.
However I used 1m satacables with 1m sata extension cables in my own desk. It's working flawless here for almost 2 years now :P
For a next project I'm going to use this solution, it's even within the 'sata specs'
Old 27th May 2012, 03:41   #32
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Great looking build so far! Love the craftsmanship and attention to detail.
Subbed

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 13:33   #33
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Thanks guys

l3p that's an interesting little solution there... where from????
Old 27th May 2012, 17:01   #34
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Have to warn you, it's quite an expensive solution :/

1 x Highpoint Rocketraid 2722
2 x Highpoint EXT-MS-1MMS SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 1Mtr Latch
2 x Highpoint Int-MS-1M4S  Internal Mini-SAS to SATA Cable
1 x Addonics AD2EMSRM Dual Int to Ext Mini SAS enc version
Old 27th May 2012, 18:37   #35
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p View Post
Have to warn you, it's quite an expensive solution :/

1 x Highpoint Rocketraid 2722
2 x Highpoint EXT-MS-1MMS SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 1Mtr Latch
2 x Highpoint Int-MS-1M4S  Internal Mini-SAS to SATA Cable
1 x Addonics AD2EMSRM Dual Int to Ext Mini SAS enc version
my wallet just curled over and died when i started looking....
nice solution though!!!!!!!
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 20:31   #36
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Yet another Saturday in the workshop :-) things are moving forward but a little slower now, lots more measuring and making sure things fit properly as it gets closer to the end of the cladding fitment.. So a few more pics but no major progress this week..

Carried on with the cladding and worked on the profile for under the leg, I was originally planning to make this a radius but didnt have a roller that could do a radius as small as i needed so went with this instead, was just fitted to check alignment etc.. still not mounted properly.

But that lead me to a new problem... getting into these tight corners to drill and rivet the rivnuts.... ended up getting a 90 degree chuck for my drill so will work on mounting those next weekend.

The finished bending and filing down the leg ends, was sure to watch out for sharp edges this weekend so no more sliced fingers :-)

Then drilled and riveted them in place

I had removed some of the mild steel support struts from my original design, these were supposed to be where the panels join, you will probably notice that at the joins sometimes there is some "sag" in the aluminium. I had removed the struts to save some weight. So started bending the profiles that will act as the new support struts for those joins.

These profiles will be mounted inside the frame area.

It will then allow me to join up the 2nd panel on each join keeping them inline, the profile shape adds tensile strength and will avoid warping or sag, and since they also aluminium have saved me a fair bit of weight.. (this thing is getting chunky in the rear if you know what I mean..)

So that was about it, spent most of the time measuring and making up the joining profiles, also measured up for the last 2 pieces of aluminium i still need to have laser cut (for the central section and the front and back panels. I will probably also order the glass sometime soon :-)

So took some general pics and peeled off some of the protective sheets so you can see it coming together

That's it for this weekend ;-)

Squigly out!

Last edited by Squigly; 3rd Jun 2012 at 12:47.
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 08:12   #37
Blooddrunken
In Flames we Trust

Blooddrunken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just saw this log. Awesome and subbed
Blooddrunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 08:21   #38
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Totally epic and awesome concept desk build, all I can do is and drool subscribed!!
bluc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 14:34   #39
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
Yea L3P see what you started?

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2012, 07:48   #40
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooddrunken View Post
I just saw this log. Awesome and subbed
Thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluc View Post
Totally epic and awesome concept desk build, all I can do is and drool subscribed!!
Thanks bluc, enjoying your build log aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
Yea L3P see what you started?
l3p.. the pied piper of desk builds has shown us much!!!! Good man!!!!!

View Mode