bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

View Poll Results: Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?
Pumps facing backward 16 43.24%
Pumps facing forward 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th Jul 2012, 11:38   #81
Quazzi
What's a Dremel?

Quazzi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
really behind this one... looking forward to seeing it all come together! Congrats on the MOTM nomination!
Quazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:03   #82
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squigly View Post
Any particular glue you would recommend or normal paper glue ok?
Anything that sticks really but not crazy strong stuff you won't be able to remove, prit stick works pretty good but you can easily use them up fast so works out expensive, spray adhesives I tried but only 1 brand meant for scrap booking so was pretty weak they kept flapping the template about but mostly on high cramped up detail stuff, on basic parts it did the job OK.

See your handling the scroll saw nicely they are an awesome home modding tool.

This is catching a vote from me too.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:30   #83
SaltyNuttz
What's a Dremel?

SaltyNuttz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I registered here to say that this build is epic!

That is all. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SaltyNuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:59   #84
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for president
I can't beleive that I have not yet commented on this, I saw it in it's early stages but then well, I must have forgotten about it :doh:

Very impressive skills and ideas you have there desk builds are awesome and there can never be too many!
It is nice to see another modder from SA. (BTW where in SA are you located? )

I really like the curvy design and the logo for the radiators and the general construction and execution is top notch. I will be keeping an eye on this
Old 6th Jul 2012, 15:00   #85
SaltyNuttz
What's a Dremel?

SaltyNuttz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hello. I just registered here so I can say that this is the most epic build evaR!

That is all. Thank you!
SaltyNuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 16:23   #86
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
Wow, I've missed a lot on this forum after taking a long, long absence. Great job. I wish I had the supplies and skill to do this. Subbed.
Thanks bud and welcome back!! the supplies can often be mustered up somewhere.. and the skills.. well you never know till you try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
See your handling the scroll saw nicely they are an awesome home modding tool.

This is catching a vote from me too.
Thanks Waynio, very much appreciated! Was very surprised by the nomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarakon View Post
I can't beleive that I have not yet commented on this, I saw it in it's early stages but then well, I must have forgotten about it :doh:

Very impressive skills and ideas you have there desk builds are awesome and there can never be too many!
It is nice to see another modder from SA. (BTW where in SA are you located? )

I really like the curvy design and the logo for the radiators and the general construction and execution is top notch. I will be keeping an eye on this
Thanks Sarakon Im in Jozzi (Sandton)

Also would like to say thanks to bit-tech for considering me for the MOTM and to all those who vote (for anybody and everybody) y'all best of luck to all!! Just glad i was nominated
Old 6th Jul 2012, 17:12   #87
HybridCore
Multimodder

HybridCore has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Thanks bud and welcome back!! the supplies can often be mustered up somewhere.. and the skills.. well you never know till you try
Thanks for the welcome.

I should be able to find them somewhere, although too bad I don't have any access to mills or laser cutting anywhere around here, much less water jets. Well, we can all dream, can't we? :P

My parents won't ever let me handle power tools. At best maybe a heat gun or high powered hairdryer for sleeving so I can shrink the heatshrink if I don't decide to do shrink-less sleeving.
HybridCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 19:09   #88
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Congrats on the nomination!
Also voted for you
l3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 19:18   #89
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazzi View Post
really behind this one... looking forward to seeing it all come together! Congrats on the MOTM nomination!
Thanks Quazzi, and thanks for the vote will be doing an update shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNuttz View Post
I registered here to say that this build is epic!
That is all. Thank you.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind words thanks Salty, truly appreciated, hope you stick around to see all the other amazing builds around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p View Post
Congrats on the nomination!
Also voted for you
dude you thanks so much, hows that WB coming along??? neeeeeeds some uuuupppddaaattteess!!
Old 7th Jul 2012, 19:41   #90
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Update for 7th July

Another Saturday so more time in the workshop Was really eager to get stuck in today and was hoping to get more done (as always) but alas.. father time was against me.. just never enough hours in a day

But still managed to get some good progress in, again I am sorry they crappy phone pics but once the main build is complete I will take a real camera into the workshop and get some decent shots..

kicked off the morning by getting the back plate mounted, really been looking forward to getting these on!!

As you can see its still missing the central sections and also still needs all the edges to be cleaned up properly.

I did however clean off the bottom of the feet, more so I could roll this thing over to get to the front plate.. lifting this thing is starting to get really difficult

Got the front plate mounted and also cleaned off the bottom of the legs

While grinding the plate down I could feel that my spine was starting to write a resignation letter with a really sharp pencil so decided to give it a break and work on the I/O plate I had cut out.. As I was putting it into the press brake I realised I probably should have bent it first before cutting the sections out.. it gave very little area for some of the bends.. And of course.. as I expected it shifted in the press break..

So now it lives with the rest of its scrap friends...

After I stop swearing at myself for not having realised that there wouldn't be enough material to bend sooner so got some work done on the support base for the screen mounts, milled the bottom out to sit between two of the support struts and then turned out the center this is where a 76mm pipe will be seated for the screens to mount to.

Then gave the outside a bit more of a decent profile

Tested fitment, still needed to turn a slot for the plates to fit into

Looking good so far.. so before anying else went wrong I quickly got the slot cut in

Im thinking of getting this piece anodized blue to fit with my colour scheme.. really happy with the way it turned out..

did a bit more cleanup of the edges and also marked out the area to cut for the plexiglass (no not the black marker.. it marked on the inside properly

So this is it for the moment..

I didnt get a chance to work on the new mobo tray or even cut out the old one.. and now i will also have to re-do the I/O plate but will need to get that bent BEFORE getting it onto the scroll saw

I am also playing with some ideas of using plexiglas for the center of the front of the case.. as apposed to closing that off with aluminium.. I will do some quick renders and update..

UPDATE
So here is the original idea with the aluminium center..

And this is then with the plexi.. i may change the layout slightly if i go with the plexi..

What do you guys think?? aluminium or plexi center??

That's all for this week, thanks again for checkin in

Last edited by Squigly; 7th Jul 2012 at 20:10. Reason: Update with renders of center pieces
Squigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 19:55   #91
HybridCore
Multimodder

Hooooly crap. I wish I could make my own monitor stands/supports. I wanted to go multi-monitor without bezels/the thinnest bezel possible. You make me so jealous. Take that as a compliment.
Old 7th Jul 2012, 21:02   #92
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Really gorgeous!
Would love to see glass/plexi center for a change

No idea if it's in your plans or if it's even possible ... the screenmount, if you would cut a piece out on the back it will make it much easier to change cables or remove it.
Just attach it to one side and let it rest on the other.

Old 7th Jul 2012, 21:45   #93
Quazzi
What's a Dremel?

Quazzi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For the plexi centre... What about a design cut out, something with a glow or is it too flashy?
Quazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 22:17   #94
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Really gorgeous!
Would love to see glass/plexi center for a change

No idea if it's in your plans or if it's even possible ... the screenmount, if you would cut a piece out on the back it will make it much easier to change cables or remove it.
Just attach it to one side and let it rest on the other.
Thanks bud!! im leaning more an more towards the plexi

For the monitor stand, I took a look at yours but the thing is I need the strength to mount 3x23" screens onto the tube, so i cant just mount it to one of the plates, it would just buckle. You cant really see in the pics but the hole goes right through the aluminium base, the 76mm tube will slide into that and the screens will mount onto it but allow me to run the cables through the tube into the case all hidden like

I did a quick sketchup to kind of show you, the aluminium at the bottom will be mounted into the frame for support, i have hidden certain parts of the desk so you can see how it fits together. But appreciate the suggestion mate
Old 7th Jul 2012, 23:26   #95
HybridCore
Multimodder

Any idea what you're going to be using to hold up the other 2 monitors that looks sleek? Unfortunately, monitors can't float (screw gravity).
Old 7th Jul 2012, 23:31   #96
l3p
www.^.nl

Ahh that indeed seems like a very clean solution, keep it up man!
Old 8th Jul 2012, 01:28   #97
HybridCore
Multimodder

Quote:
Haha, it's you. Saw your desk on OCN. It's been a very very long time but I'm going to say congrats and good job on the desk.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1024268/p...gaming-station
Old 8th Jul 2012, 21:55   #98
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
Any idea what you're going to be using to hold up the other 2 monitors that looks sleek? Unfortunately, monitors can't float (screw gravity).
Yup, its a special hinge system for multi monitors, the two outside screens attach to the center screen with these

Quote:
Thanks bud, appreciate the support
Old 8th Jul 2012, 22:41   #99
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
And there's one of the neat things that can be done with lathes again some things simply need a lathe but for the few things I'd use one for I can't justify the cost of 1, not yet anyway.

Awesome piece made there.

Unlucky on the first pci/io back piece, I never did get around to perfecting the bending method for a 1mm panel version, made some smaller bending fingers for the different sections of bend though, before perfecting that I started using 5 layers instead to make a solid one after seeing a billet 1 piece one on a project called Limey & fell in love with the idea which translates to multiple layers brilliantly.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2012, 23:51   #100
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
mmmmm, lathed....*droooool*
Plexi centre looks great too. Maybe overlaid with some alu with the same/similar designs to the leg?

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode