bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

View Poll Results: Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?
Pumps facing backward 16 43.24%
Pumps facing forward 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th Jul 2012, 17:31   #121
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
20 July Update

Right, was off diaper duty today and managed to get into the workshop

Did a little more work to the screen mount base, added some grub screws to hold the pipe in place.. Still waiting on the pipe to be delivered. Also going to try anodize this myself always wanted to try.. This shot also illustrates how it all fits together a little better.

Then decided it was time to clean up the front and back panels, there was still the overhang to clean off since i didn't have these parts laser cut.

Got it nice and clean..

After a few hours... both front and back panels were all done

I also started labeling the inside of the panels. as some are fairly similar and i will loose track of inside, top and placement of some panels once they go for powder coating. So side with label is of course the inside, this shows the top of Mobo Inside leg part..

Then finally got working on the central portions, got them cut and bent but not mounted just yet..

Have been granted yet another reprieve from diaper duty for tomorrow so will be heading into the workshop to get some more work done

Thanks again for checkin in!!

Last edited by Squigly; 20th Jul 2012 at 21:17.
Squigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2012, 18:52   #122
weed2all
modder

weed2all has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Congratulations!
weed2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2012, 19:07   #123
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
just passed out from joy!

Wish I could have this desk! However are you going to dynamat the desk to cut down on resonance. I imagine it'll hum and rattle like a b*tch
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2012, 19:39   #124
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Day 2 of diaper freedom :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weed2all View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks weed2all :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
just passed out from joy!

Wish I could have this desk! However are you going to dynamat the desk to cut down on resonance. I imagine it'll hum and rattle like a b*tch
Thanks Burnout21, I dont think im gonna get much hum from it, i have been pretty sure to make sure all panels secure nicely.. infact i did a check today, i have used a total of 178 bolts so yea its pretty secure.. although i like the idea and will maybe use some where i secure the radiator (fans) and pumps as they will be the only moving parts.

Ok so got the workshop this morning and decided I needed to get the front panel done. I was cutting this with the jigsaw so took my time as this was a panel i really didnt want to have to re-do.. its a big piece..

So set up a small jig to guide the straight line cut

Slowly slowly wins the race..

Then got to the first radius.. and time for some freestyle cutting, took my time here!

It came out great so started freestyle cutting the rest, decided to start cutting the insert out to reduce weight so it didn't warp the panel.

I may have been a little over careful cos it took forever.. but hey, rather safe.. and the final result i was REALLY happy with, all the lines are nice and clean and some simple sanding will finish it up

So now that the front panel was done.. it was time to clean up the plexi..

I really enjoyed this bit.. the belt sander ate through the plexi really easily and left a nice clean finish, a few test fits little bit more sanding and MONEY BABY!!

Fits in nice and snug, I was going to peal off the protective layers for some photo's but decided there is still a ways to go so left them, sorry peeps, but soon enough.
So laid it on its site to show the front panel..

Was really happy with it! so bolted it up

So that was about it for today but was happy with the progress..

Still to do: (list is getting nice and small)
Mount central panels X2
Remove mobo tray
Re-cut mobo tray for new mobo
Mount hinges
Mount glass
Cut holes in rear panel for water cooling features.

AND THATS IT!!!

After that its to get it ready for powder coating and i can start installation of components!!

Thanks all for followin!!

Last edited by Squigly; 21st Jul 2012 at 21:48. Reason: Fixed Images
Squigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2012, 20:27   #125
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can you feel the aluminum between your teeth already?
Old 21st Jul 2012, 21:55   #126
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p View Post
Can you feel the aluminum between your teeth already?
Dude.. between my teeth, in my ears and hair.. hell I even have it in my shoes
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 00:13   #127
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice progress man
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 01:35   #128
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome truly epic build !!
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 08:11   #129
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
so finished by this afternoon then? lol!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 13:02   #130
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
The window looks great, absolutely spot on. You dropped the idea of a plexi centerpiece in the base?

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 23:09   #131
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarakon View Post
Nice progress man
Thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluc View Post
Awesome truly epic build !!
Thanks bluc glad you likes it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
so finished by this afternoon then? lol!
Easy now back to Saturdays only so a few more weekends.. whats that they say.. all good things huh... pity im the type of guy that thinks instant gratification takes to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
The window looks great, absolutely spot on. You dropped the idea of a plexi centerpiece in the base?
Thanks mate, well not completely dropped, im thinking of using both ali and plexi, but the plexi for designs that will be lit up over the ali
Old 27th Jul 2012, 17:14   #132
wolffie02
What's a Dremel?

wolffie02 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking great

Hey Squigs

dude this is epic
congrats and looking absolutely amazing.
wolffie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 23:39   #133
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Design Update

Going to be heading into the workshop again tomorrow but needed to finalise the screen case design most of the desk construction is nearing completion so need to get this done so i can send the whole lot off for powder coating.

Have measured all monitors out and so they should all fit within the casing design.. really looking forward to loosing all the plastic trim from the monitors, bezel for each screen will be 10mm all round..

To give you an idea of the build concept I have mocked it up in sketchup. Will hopefully get at least one screen case completed this weekend.

Old 28th Jul 2012, 12:55   #134
riekmaharg2
has finished Blue Horizon

riekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice job on the perfect Jigsaw'ing Can't wait to see this finished, will be awesome

Silent Fiberglass PC

Completed * Blue Horizon * - 2012
riekmaharg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2012, 17:01   #135
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

28 July update

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie02 View Post
Hey Squigs
dude this is epic
congrats and looking absolutely amazing.
Thanks bud, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekmaharg2 View Post
Nice job on the perfect Jigsaw'ing Can't wait to see this finished, will be awesome
It took me forever to do but taking my time paid off big!!

Ok so I was all go this morning when i left for the workshop.. alas the lack of sleep over the past bit has caught up to me so really didn't get anywhere near where I wanted to be today.. but.. progress is progress none the less.

Before getting stuck into the screens I thought i would take care of the Mobo Tray.. in my sleep walking state this morning i left the scroll saw at home so thought if i get the main panel cut i can work on the rest at home during the week..

This is the original tray..

I made up the tray first before cutting into the old one

Again took my time with cutting the original as i didn't want to mess it up.. alas being half asleep i did a little... the cuts are nice and straight.. but in the bottom right i was supposed to cut a step into the original.. i cut to straight

It will be an easy fix so wasn't to upset.. So then onto the screens, I decided to quickly get the stand pipe cap finished up

As well as the mounting plate for the stand base.

Then measured and cut the screen besel aluminium profile, its 10x20mm profile

And another..

And threes the charm!

Then onto the alu welding.. let me tell you not the best thing to try when very tired... you need to heat the aluminium to 380 degrees to melt the rod.. and my hands are now covered in blisters as i kept grabbing the piece..

Anyways this is the before.

And the after..

The still need to be filed down.. Apart from that i cut the back-plate for the screen out but still need to cut the center out of that with the scroll saw.. will have some updates on that during the week and hopefully a completed screen case sometime this week..

Thanks again for checking in, If you feel it worth it don't forget to vote in MOTM
Old 28th Jul 2012, 21:08   #136
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Solid excellent progress all around & nice.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2012, 16:36   #137
SaltyNuttz
What's a Dremel?

SaltyNuttz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I will send you my address for delivery soon
SaltyNuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2012, 18:30   #138
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Solid excellent progress all around & nice.
Thanks bud ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNuttz View Post
I will send you my address for delivery soon
lols, isnt it in the mail already ??

Right well headed into the workshop with the intention of getting the screen cases at least partially complete.. it was just not meant to be.. I spent most of the morning cleaning up the frames and making sure the weld was strong enough.. I took in one of my monitors to test with and get the rest of the case done.. all I succeeded in doing was popping the welds on all 3 frames... Me thinks i will have to re-think the screen case design.. perhaps a solid sheet that is bent instead of the alu profile... dunno, will play with some idea's this week..

So after all of that disappointment I decided to put the screen down.. before i broke the dang thing.. and try get some more done on the desk..

First things first i needed to fix the area i had cut on the new mobo tray, so welded on a piece of scrap

Got it cleaned off and cut it down to size

After a few test fits and some more filing it was fitting like a charm

Time to get cracking on the center pieces, got the leg spacer mounted and welded in the corners after bending the top section down

Then started on the back center piece, to remove any sag as well as provide a mounting point for the back plate i made up a support strut

tested fitment and all was good, so mounted the base plate

Still need to add 1 more mount to the center of the back plate

After that I finished off the mounting of the plates, i have a few more little things to clean up but the main construction of the desk is at 95% complete I will still need to work on a few mounting issues with mobo, radiator (well most of the water loop) but will do that once i have ordered some new parts.. I have some of the items arriving soon so will hopefully have them by next week so i can start with the component mounting

thanks for checkin in
Squigs out
Old 4th Aug 2012, 21:49   #139
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

AciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run Crysis
L3p what... Just kidding but this is pure awesomeness mate. Can't wait to see the end result

Mod on
AciD_RaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2012, 23:58   #140
Bogfrog1974
What's a Dremel?

Bogfrog1974 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good going Squigly - looks like it is going to be really awesome.....
Bogfrog1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode